Difficulty raising the day/night shades

We have a hard time getting the day/night shades up and down on our 2013 Bighorn. I see a lot about broken strings, but not difficulty pushing along the strings. Are they just wearing out and need to be replaced? Or is there anything else I can do to make it smoother?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can change the tension by adjusting the knot position in the strings. The knot is held by the little round retainers screwed into the wall at the bottom of the shades.

Do a search: adjusting tension on RV day/night shades. There is a good video on it. Couldn’t copy the link for it via my phone, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change the tension by adjusting the knot position in the strings. The knot is held by the little round retainers screwed into the wall at the bottom of the shades.

Do a search: adjusting tension on RV day/night shades. There is a good video on it. Couldn’t copy the link for it via my phone, unfortunately.

Thanks! We found the video and will give that a try. It sure seems simple enough.

JohnDar

Eventually we got fed up with our shades so I replaced all of them with Levelor vertical blinds. Used the fabric from the original valences to cover wooden ones I made to mount them. Cats loved them, too, cuz they could peek out the windows even with the blinds closed

rhodies1

Also ,,,when lifting the day night shades,it is easier if you lift a section at a time.if you have the combo shades,white and beige,lift the white section first and then the beige.opposite when pulling them down.

JohnDar

This was the large rear window after modification. Eliminated crawling over furniture and wrestling with it. Never could get it to close easily or without a bend in one of the rails.

Attachments

• IMG_1391 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1391 (Large).JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1392 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1392 (Large).JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 13

carl.swoyer

We have a hard time getting the day/night shades up and down on our 2013 Bighorn. I see a lot about broken strings, but not difficulty pushing along the strings. Are they just wearing out and need to be replaced? Or is there anything else I can do to make it smoother?
If the strings are fraying you can restring them

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Nice job John, but how is the cat to look out the window now? LOL

A simple flick of a paw. Actually, they preferred to sit on the back of the sofa and use that big side window (with vertical blinds, too). Hummingbird feeders were over there.

I learned quickly to not have Lowes cut the vanes to length. They come 84” long and if you ask for a 36” cut, you get it and they chop the remainder into little pieces. Take the whole thing uncut home and cut it yourself. The remainder could then be used for smaller windows or replacement spares. Making the notch to hang them was simply drilling it to size and squaring it with a utility knife.

Last edited: