Dinner ideas

Mattman

Looking for some quick dinner ideas. Catch is they have to be kid friendly. Hot dogs are getting old. Crock pots are lot of water to clean up. Plus the smell and heat in the camper. I don't really like pre packaged food either. But feel like I am missing some ideaa.
Thanks

Power247

My kids live teriyaki chicken sliders.

Fillet chicken breasts to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and cut into pieces sized to fit on Hawaiian sweet rolls. Then marinade them in bottled teriyaki sauce in a Ziploc bag. The only need to marinate for a few hours but I usually do this before leaving and put them in the freezer.

Once thawed they grill up quick or can be cooked on a skillet or in the oven. Assemble with sections of canned pineapple rings.

For the adults I will melt Swiss cheese on the chicken and grill the pineapple rings a bit. Rolls optional.

Can be done with BBQ sauce or Italian dressing if teriyaki isn't your thing.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

BusManRG

Looking for some quick dinner ideas. Catch is they have to be kid friendly. Hot dogs are getting old. Crock pots are lot of water to clean up. Plus the smell and heat in the camper. I don't really like pre packaged food either. But feel like I am missing some ideaa.
Thanks
There are crockpot liners that make clean up a breeze! We have a tradition of tacos when we go camping. I cook the meat (lots) up ahead of time and throw it in the freezer. Easy to re-heat and everything else other than frying the shells is chop and go. And if you do burritos you can skip the frying. We make/chop lots. The next night we use all the extras for big taco salads.

Sandy

rxbristol

Pre-cook pasta (refrigerate or freeze) then you can combine it with anything you want. Heat the pasta in the microwave with butter, Alfredo sauce, spaghetti sauce, vegetables, mushrooms, etc., then add cheese and put back into the microwave to melt it. Meat can be pre-cooked on the grill and frozen which can be added to the pasta as well.

VKTalley

Thanks

i do a lot of packet dinners that are cooked on the grill. I recently got a cookbook called Fix It In Foil from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563832607/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and really like it. You can also Google "hobo packets" for more ideas. Hope this and suggestions from others help!

wdk450

A vacuum sealer will allow you to make big loads of stuff in advance, portion them out for future meals, then heat them in the microwave or boiling water. BTW that is the way I make my taco meat in advance. 90 seconds in the microwave from the freezer when I want to make tacos. I get 5 meals out a 1 pound chub of ground turkey.

BusManRG

A vacuum sealer will allow you to make big loads of stuff in advance, portion them out for future meals, then heat them in the microwave or boiling water. BTW that is the way I make my taco meat in advance. 90 seconds in the microwave from the freezer when I want to make tacos. I get 5 meals out a 1 pound chub of ground turkey.

I'll have to try sealing up the meat instead of zip locks! Back to the crockpot, don't forget you have outside plugs. No need to have the unit inside. And I tell you, those liners are the only way to go when camping. I don't use them at home, although I know many do.
Sandy

Mattman

Thanks for the input guys. I knew I was missing something. I forsee tacos and maybe some chicken sliders in the UP coming trip. Now I just got to make it.

mlpeloquin

We do Crock pot dinners. Soups, roast, and a good south west verdi chil. Ger more than one dinner as well from it. Use a portable folding table outside so the rig does not heat up. That is unless it is winter. We also have a Weber BBQ that I use with an oven thermometer and a aluminum tray with a roasting stand to hold a chicken. I adjust the flame and crack the lid open to maintain the proper temperature and roast it. Again the rig stays cool and clean and more than one meal. Not to mention cooking a big tri-tip roast with a good rub. It doesn't take long and it doesn't heat the rig. Costco has steak or cheese burritos that cook in 90 seconds inside the microwave. Use a good pepper sauce with it etc..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use crockpot too. BBQ ribs, spaghetti, pot roast, and more. Look into cookbooks by The Crockin' Girls, they have great recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have learned to love the crock pot. Throw a liner in and it makes clean up easy. We also plug it into the outside kitchen and it keeps all the heat outside. We use it for easy stuff like, Mac n cheese, to a pack of frozen meatballs and sauce for meatball hoagies or with spaghetti. Ginger even has some desert recipes.