Directv - King Quest Users?

OBX_Raineys

I am interested in getting a King Quest satellite for my RV. We are only going to use it a few days a month. Is anyone simply taking one of their receivers with them from home? I'm not interested in changing to Dish and hope to not have to pay for separate programming. IS there a distinct difference between the Quest and a Winegard Carryout?

Other than "Local" channels, will my existing packages (other than HD) be available? Thanks in advance.

danemayer

We used to take our home receivers with us and used them with a tripod mounted Slimline 3 dish to receive Directv programming.

As long as you're within the spot beam for your home area, you'll get your home local channels. Once outside your local spot beam, you'll have to rely on over-the-air TV signals to get ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX and WB programs.

Your other programming will be unaffected, except that your FAVORITES may have to be changed to receive the SD channels instead of HD.

If you have SWM-only receivers, they don't work with the King Quest.

justafordguy

We have the king quest and use one of our home receivers and it works great. We are usually within 5 hours from home and can always get our local home channels. You will need the little converter box to get the local channels.

Bogie

I originally purchased the King Quest because it has the feature that combines the power over the single coax cable. But, I had trouble with it. I use a H24-100 receiver that I also use at home and had used several times with an 18" dish and a tripod.

The trouble seemed to center around the utilization of power over the single cable and the power injector. It would work intermittently. Not being able to isolate the problem to either the King Quest or the receiver, I finally decided to return it and go with the Winegard Carryout. Although it has a separate power cable. The Winegard has worked well. I'm guessing I just had a defective unit.

I read somewhere the latest model from Winegard now includes the power over the single cable feature.

rjr6150

I originally purchased the King Quest because it has the feature that combines the power over the single coax cable. But, I had trouble with it. I use a H24-100 receiver that I also use at home and had used several times with an 18" dish and a tripod.

The trouble seemed to center around the utilization of power over the single cable and the power injector. It would work intermittently. Not being able to isolate the problem to either the King Quest or the receiver, I finally decided to return it and go with the Winegard Carryout. Although it has a separate power cable. The Winegard has worked well. I'm guessing I just had a defective unit.

I read somewhere the latest model from Winegard now includes the power over the single cable feature.

Joe you are correct the new G2+ untalizes tge coax to power the dish.