Disc brakes

8paws

Has anyone ever had to bleed their disc brakes? If so, why did you do that and how difficult is it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've bled mine twice. Once when I installed the disc brakes and a second time after I had to replace a damaged brake line hose.
It's easy but you will need a second person to activate the actuator while you open the bleeder valve. A clear hose attached to the bleeder and terminating in a plastic bottle will keep the job neat. Clear hose so you can watch for air bubbles.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

Yes, when we cut a brake line. Like mentioned, it is doable. Plus, it is similar to doing a car disc brakes, if you have ever done these types before.

jerryjay11

It's easier with a handheld vacuum bleeder kit. They are available from your local Wally store, auto parts, hardware store, etc.

Gary521

I installed my own disk brakes. To bleed them, I fabricated a switch with long wires so I could turn on the actuator at the brake. Its a simple 12v on/off switch with two wires. Yes, the two person thing will work nicely too. The vacuum bleeder suggested is not the best as it pulls air past the bleeder valve threads. I have a race car and have to bleed brakes a lot. I have a pressure bleeder for this but they don't make an adapter for trailer brake systems.

wdk450

I installed my own disk brakes. To bleed them, I fabricated a switch with long wires so I could turn on the actuator at the brake. Its a simple 12v on/off switch with two wires. Yes, the two person thing will work nicely too. The vacuum bleeder suggested is not the best as it pulls air past the bleeder valve threads. I have a race car and have to bleed brakes a lot. I have a pressure bleeder for this but they don't make an adapter for trailer brake systems.
Did you connect your switch cable to the "Chg/batt" terminal and the "Brake" terminal on the trailer umbilical connector?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhere I have video from when I bled the brakes.
If I can find it I'll post it here.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

Did you connect your switch cable to the "Chg/batt" terminal and the "Brake" terminal on the trailer umbilical connector?
I wired the brake actuator so I did not have to run wires to the umbilical connector. I put the actuator in the door side propane compartment. The old electric brake wire ran close to that compartment in the basement ceiling. I spliced into that wire and ran into the propane area. All the other wires I found and ran from the front compartment. So I essentially did what you suggested but connected by the actuator. I had to change one or two wires in the umbilical connecter to make it all work properly.