Do over?

yak50

If you could do it over again would you stay at length you have say around 35' or throw caution to wind and get the 40' footer for full timing, seems to me the smaller unit equals less weight, easier tow, easier to back into places.......etc..
But with with more room say in 40' footer might be more comfortable , easier to stay awhile, roomier on those rainy days, more storage etc..... what say yea? thanks in advance

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone has their own wants, needs, desires and opinions.
We added 4 feet in length from our last BH to our current BH. It was not a problem for me.
We didn't change trailers because we wanted more length or comfort as we were very comfy in our 34 footer.
If we found a floor plan that we liked I would not hesitate buying if it was much longer.
Smaller equals less weight? Yes. Easier to tow, back in? I didn't find the longer trailer to be a problem, nor did I even notice a difference other than the mental thing.
Just my thoughts on your questions.

Peace
Dave

FiremanBill

Same here, We chose our current Toy Hauler based on the floor plan more so than the length. We didn't care much for the layout of some of the shorter units but if we had I might have opted for one a bit shorter than our current 38'.

Still, I don't see too much difference from towing our old 31' bunkhouse model this one other than it being a bit harder to back up while turning it. I just have to plan my moves ahead of time a bit more carefully.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
W went from a 34 footer to a 40 footer mainly cuz of the floor plan. The length/weight hasn't bèen a problem other than restrictions at state/national parks.

vakthund

We went from a tent to a 43'. The tent was much easier to park.
The 43' isn't much harder to park than the 32' race trailer. I'm equally bad at both.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

JanAndBill

We went from a 35' MH to 29' travel trailer. Bad move. Our current BH 3260EL is a little over 38' and fits our needs great. The floor plan was the issue for us as well. I won't say that I would never go longer, but it's really doubtful, as this is about as long as we can maneuver up and down our driveway.

TXTiger

I bought a 42 ft as my first RV. After awhile its no big deal towing. Backing is a little of a challenge but I travel alone and don' t have a second set of eyes directing me but you will get the hang of it fast. The only negative is that some RV parks, especially older ones and state parks spaces won't accommodate a big rig.

VKTalley

We went from a tent to a 43'. The tent was much easier to park.
The 43' isn't much harder to park than the 32' race trailer. I'm equally bad at both.

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

We, too, went from a 10 man tent to our rig, Big Country 3690SL, which is almost 40' long. Malcolm does not seem to have too much trouble backing it up but I do agree that the tent was easier to "park".... :rolleyes: Still I would not trade my rig for a tent..love not having to hike to the bathhouse at night.

aatauses

Get the floor plan you like---you will not notice a few feet---We have a BH 3670 and full time. the only issue we have is in state parks and National Parks---most private can accomodate.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

brlr2000

We really enjoy staying at County/State/National Parks whenever possible, so I actually prefer something under 35 feet in length. We stay at private parks when necessary, but don't care for the 'parking lot' feeling at most private parks. I guess it's a give and take...

Went from a 29ft TT to 35ft 5er, now have a 40ft, and takig delivery of a 44 ft cyclone 4100king this weekend, the creature features always seem to overtake the
drawbacks of the length

ramdually4100king

I've had a 29' a 32' and now with the cyclone a 44'. All have had their challenges with backing. But after a few trial and errors I can get the 44' cyclone into almost anywhere. It just takes time and patience. Choose the rig you like and enjoy it don't be afraid of it.

Mizmary

I'd rather stay in the newer places that can accommodate the big rigs anyway most of the time. They tend to have better accommodations and more space between rigs (tend to means sometimes - we've been at a few cramped places). I like having a bit of a yard so that I can have a campfire if allowed, grill out or just let the kids play.

If I'm somewhere like Yellowstone I'm not spending a whole lot of time at the campground anyway. And if I really want to camp in the park I can bring a tent and stay a night or two and then return to my bathtub, and space for the kids in their own room. ;-P. when we went the last time we couldn't pull our 32' one on some of the roads anyway and they cram you in like sardines. We had a blast even staying a bit out of the park.

It's all what you think and to each his own. We full time so I'm a bit biased anyway. I prefer the space because we need it. If we were just weekending - our SOB 32' would probably be just fine.

Lynn1130

We started out with a pop-up that worked fine for us for years both camping and hunting. We then moved up to a 26' pull and that gave us more room as the family started to grow with grand kids. We traveled cross country with that a few times and it worked well. We then went to the 5er toy hauler and love it. We dry camp with the family often and it gives us the room we need with the luxury we old folks like not to mention being able to haul the quads. We are at the length that we enjoy and while it does limit us some on where we can camp in the forest, we have our favorite spots. If I go any larger I need a dually and have no place to park it and don't want to spend that kind of money. This works great for us, gives us the space we need traveling, camping or hunting and pulls just wonderfully well.