Dodge Ram 3500 Question

jdfishing

I've been looking at the new 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 and would like some owner's opinions on it's specifics; ie. tranny, rear suspension air bags, interior comfort etc. Also, what color do you have.

gebills

Hi John: We have a new 2015 Ram Laramie dually setting at the Dodge dealer in Ankeny Iowa. We opted for the dually this time (rather than the SRW) and ended up with a Gun-metal metallic gray with a two-tone lower section. The cab this time is the mega cab for the convenience/comfort of rear seat riders rather than the crew cab on our 2011. I'm having a Pull-Rite auto-slider hitch installed this time and will have to sell my old super-5th 18K Pull-Rite hitch. We will have a 3.73 ratio rear end being turned by the AISIN 6-speed transmission. My trailer towing capacity will be over 23,000 lbs. Regarding air bags, I have them on the 2011 3500 SRW, but they are not interchangeable with the 2015 dually. Pretty certain that I'm not going to need them on the 2015 3500 dually. The dealer had to order running boards for it, so we're driving their rental car for a few days. I kid everyone asking how I tow the B/H with a Dodge SUV; I simply tell them I'm going to have the dealer mount the hitch on top of the SUV.....;-))

Jim.Allison

The RAM is an awesome truck, If you are going SRW be sure to get the 20 inch wheels. The 20 inch tires are capable of 3640 lbs and there is one that will go 3750 lbs. Though you might have a marginal load on the pin your tires will never be overloaded. They will support an axle load of 7280 or 7600 respectively. The 2015 2500 and the 3500 srw are very capable. But the 3500 comes with the upgraded aisin 6 speed transmission. The Cummins is reliable and the hp and torque is unbelievable. I had a problem with mine that was mostly dealer and self inflicted.

The quality of the truck is exceptional. 15,000 (15 Thousand) mile oil changes are easy on the pocket book. The EVIC center is unrivaled in the industry. I would not trade my 2500 SRW for love or money. The upshot is that the 3500 SRW Laramie with the transmission upgrade is very capable and nicely appointed. The GCVWR is well within the capability of the truck unless you are towing a freight train.The performance is beyond belief.

The DRW drivers will be all over me for telling you that the RAM 3500HD will Tow anything Heartland makes, and will support most everything heartland makes. The controllability of my 2500HD is excellent and I do not feel the need for a DRW truck. To me, my truck is a multi use vehicle and I don't want to haul around those extra tires and that wide wheel base when Im not using it to tow. Todays 3500 SRW RAM 3500HD has closed the gap and virtually eliminated the need for DRW truck in RVing. I will give credit and pay homage to the dually drivers, if you do buy a 3500hd in DRW you will have the king of TVs. But owning a DWR truck comes with some drawbacks.

I've been looking at the new 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 and would like some owner's opinions on it's specifics; ie. tranny, rear suspension air bags, interior comfort etc. Also, what color do you have.

Jim.Allison

Do you think you need airbags on your 2015 DRW for anything other than a better ride? I have them on my 2500 and hardly need them. I put about 50 psi in just so I have a little rake in the truck. I keep 10 psi in them all the time as instructed by the manufacturer. I loaded my rig this weekend for a trip and forgot to inflate them. I never noticed it. Thats a BC3650RL with a generator and battery bank on a RAM 2500HD Cummins 4X4 SRW. Of course when I discovered it, i inflated them and I did observe the lift that 50 psi provided and it was noticeable.

Hi John: We have a new 2015 Ram Laramie dually setting at the Dodge dealer in Ankeny Iowa. We opted for the dually this time (rather than the SRW) and ended up with a Gun-metal metallic gray with a two-tone lower section. The cab this time is the mega cab for the convenience/comfort of rear seat riders rather than the crew cab on our 2011. I'm having a Pull-Rite auto-slider hitch installed this time and will have to sell my old super-5th 18K Pull-Rite hitch. We will have a 3.73 ratio rear end being turned by the AISIN 6-speed transmission. My trailer towing capacity will be over 23,000 lbs. Regarding air bags, I have them on the 2011 3500 SRW, but they are not interchangeable with the 2015 dually. Pretty certain that I'm not going to need them on the 2015 3500 dually. The dealer had to order running boards for it, so we're driving their rental car for a few days. I kid everyone asking how I tow the B/H with a Dodge SUV; I simply tell them I'm going to have the dealer mount the hitch on top of the SUV.....;-))

ncrzrbk

I just traded my 2012 2500 CC SB with a pullrite slider. My 12' was a tradesman. This truck I opted for 2014 3500 CCLB SRW Big Horn with 20" tires. Had the dealer install a 25k B&W hitch with puck mounts. Also added steps and bed liner. The 2500 had 3.73 but SRW in the newer models is only available in 3.42. I didn't do the Aisin transmission and have towed our Sundance up some steep Va mountains. The 3.42 did well and the LB seems more stable. I love the cummins engine. One thing I have noticed with the new truck is better fuel economy running empty. Both of my trucks were and are white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ncrzrbk

I haven't noticed a need for air bags in either truck. Both of them ride level and have never hit bump pads.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just got a new truck and opted for the 4.10 rear end for the pull.

Gas mileage isn't as good . . . but no problems thus far pulling over the Continental Divide, where my old truck with the 3.73 rear end struggled!

happykraut

Just ordered a 2015 RAM Laramie 3500 SRW 4x4 SB Cummins with 3.42 Aisin tranny. 850lb-ft of torque. I opted for flame red over silver. The Aisin is also available in a 3.73 and 4.10, but not all models. A nice option is the Auto-level rear air suspension.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John,
Sorry, I don't do truck posts....... However if I did, I would tell you that you won't be sorry if you buy a Cummins TD for towing.

(5.9 Cummins with 3.73's and RideRites.) And yes, I have also owned Chevy and Ford trucks. Trace

FiremanBill

I went from Ford to Dodge back in May and have been thoroughly impressed. Granted mine is a 2010, first year of the new body styles so there must have been some minor issues but apparently they were all worked out before I got it.

I did have one issue on a trip to Knoxville back in Sept when the ETC warning light came on. Limped it in under reduced power to the dealer and after a reflash of the computer it runs better now than it did when I got it. One small thing that bugs me about it is I get an intermittent windshield washer fluid warning light. Even when completely full it will come on every now and then for no reason.

I had air bags on my old ford but have no reason or desire to put them on the dodge.

I know they have improved this rig over the last 5 years so I am sure you will be very happy with it.

Bohemian

Ram has two automatic transmissions. The 68RFE is standard and the Aisin, a ~~$3000 option.

Both have the same 4th and 6th gears. The Aisin has much lower low gears. To get the same 1st gear final drive ratio as the Aisin with 3.42 diff, you would the 68RFE with a 3.9 rear diff.

You get the highest HP version of the CTD with the Aisin transmission.

Bohemian

I haven't noticed a need for air bags in either truck. Both of them ride level and have never hit bump pads.

The factory air suspension should give you a better ride both empty and loaded.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Here's our 2014 Dodge 3500 with the 2015 now a classic Landmark. It has the 3.42 rearend and Aisin transmission. At this time we have not added air bags but might because we seem to have some truck bouncing when the camper is on. We have already put CenterPoint Air suspension under the LM which helped with the boucing but didn't take it all out. Home 4-22-14.jpg We didn't have that problem with the 09 Dodge 3500 SRW with the 2012 Big Country.

cfulton

Have the '14 2500 with the factory air suspension --- really like it, stays level with my '14 Bighorn 3010RE -- better ride loaded and unloaded than my '12 2500!!!

jdfishing

Thanks for all of your comments. I have heard good things about the factory air suspension. Sounds like you can level the rig regardless of the tongue weight. Now if I can find a dealer that has some to look at. Guess the 2015's will be coming in this month.

Jim.Allison

Do an internet search, fly in to get it. LOL. Here is a good place to start. Find it here, quote it locally, if you can't get the deal fly out pick it up and drive it back.

http://www.vernonautogroup.com/web/inventory/All_years/Ram/All_models/All_body_types/new/

Thanks for all of your comments. I have heard good things about the factory air suspension. Sounds like you can level the rig regardless of the tongue weight. Now if I can find a dealer that has some to look at. Guess the 2015's will be coming in this month.

jdfishing

Just ordered a 2015 RAM Laramie 3500 SRW 4x4 SB Cummins with 3.42 Aisin tranny. 850lb-ft of torque. I opted for flame red over silver. The Aisin is also available in a 3.73 and 4.10, but not all models. A nice option is the Auto-level rear air suspension.

Hi Bernie: Just curious, and if you don't mind, approx. how much off sticker were you able to negotiate? I'm trying to get a feeling for what would be a reasonable offer. I don't do the negotiating game.