Does a broken Half-Time oven door latch cause the oven to stop working?

Our Apollo Half-Time has the type of door that has two plastic hooks that latch into the frame of the oven when the door is closed. The top one of those hooks broke off today, and when I wanted to use the oven this evening, the fan and light came on, but not the heat or turntable. Is this because of the broken latch-hook, or is it a separate problem?

Thanks for any insights,

-- Nicole

wdk450

There is a complex dual microswitch door closed sensing system on these microwaves to prevent the generation of microwave energy when the door is not completely sealed shut. The plastic hooks on the door activates these microswitches. Alignment of this microswitch assembly with the door hooks is a critical adjustment.

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
There is a complex dual microswitch door closed sensing system on these microwaves to prevent the generation of microwave energy when the door is not completely sealed shut. The plastic hooks on the door activates these microswitches. Alignment of this microswitch assembly with the door hooks is a critical adjustment.

I agree, have had a lot of problems with ours. I have taken it it apart 4-5 times trying to get the right adjustment on the micro switch holder but finally got it working again. Its really the pits having to take out , a part and trial an error to find the right adjustment. We sure do like it though ,if you can keep it working, Kathy never burns the bisquits in it...LOL..Kenny

Yes, I like the oven, too -- we full-time and it's great not to have to have a separate microwave and conventional oven, as one would be taking up counter space. We've never had a problem with it before, but that door hook thingie just snapped off with a slight bump. I'll get in touch with Midwest and keep my fingers crossed that we won't have to fiddle too much with installing the replacement latch.