Dometic AC Running Fine, Then Shutting Down Entirely

jimandjean

First, if i'm posting about an issue that was previously covered, i apologize - i went back through the threads and didn't see this.

I've owned my new Cyclone 4200 for two weeks now, we just arrived home after the maiden voyage home from FL to acquire it. First several days, A/Cs worked as normal. I generally like to set two A/Cs to run on low fan continuous, to keep the air moving and balanced, even when the target temperature is achieved.

About 5 days ago, i woke up part way through the night and noticed the fan wasn't running (and it was getting warm in the coach). The garage AC was still running fine. I went to the thermostat for the bedroom, and it was still showing the target temperature (69) and the fan was still set to low (as opposed to AUTO or HIGH) - but nothing happening. I cycled the thermostat from "COOL" to "FAN" - e.g. no compressor, it fired right up, i cycled back to "COOL" and the compressor kicked in and it ran perfect (for a few hours). Then the same thing happened.

Fast forward a few more days, Garage A/C continues to work fine, but now Kitchen A/C does the same thing as the bedroom, ran for several hours at night - then i woke up to being uncomfortably warm, and the kitchen A/C was not running. Followed the same procedure listed above, and it ran fine for several hours - then shutdown again.

Two units, same issue - gotta fix it, i have a pet and we can't question whether the A/Cs will function normally while we're out.

jimandjean

You think FREEZE UP would manifest as described? With the unit shutting down? From my experience, i thought freeze up would result in a meltdown coming down into the coach afterwards no? Cause that doesn't happen

weekender01

We have a 2017 Torque and this weekend our living room unit was also shutting down. We always run ours on auto, but you can also run the fan on high as well. If on low it may freeze up as others have said and could be causing the issue. We were not running the bedroom air at the time so the living room was running all day and could not keep up in the evening. We suspect that the unit may be overheating and shutting down until it cools off. Yours may be overheating especially if the fan was on low.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
If you have the new Dometic Blizzard a/cs, there have been a problem which Dometic has issued a service bulletin to dealerships with a fix. First, I would contact your dealership to see if they have received this bulletin. If you are not near the dealership, then I would contact Heartland, having your VIN # handy, to see who they might have near you that can do the fix. Even tho Heartland purchased and installed these a/c, s, it's a design problem on Dometic side, who in a hurry to get a new product out, didn't fully test it before releasing the a/c, s.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
High heat and humidity and A/C set on LOW fan will cause a freeze up condition. I bet if you went outside when the A/C shut down....water was pouring off the roof.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What I am gathering so far from this thread is that we should always run the AC on high?

Of course, here in Colorado we don't have very much humidity to worry about . . .

Carleen

It has been crazy humid in Colorado these last few weeks. Not a problem we deal with much in this state, but it was 25% yesterday as compared to typical 10%. Could be freeze up

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

SNOKING

It has been posted that setting the AC temp below 72 will lead to freezing up. Did it display 32 degrees on the thermostat? Chris

Carleen

Will it the thermostat display 32 if the unit is frozen up? That would be good to know.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It has been crazy humid in Colorado these last few weeks. Not a problem we deal with much in this state, but it was 25% yesterday as compared to typical 10%. Could be freeze up

We are originally from Michigan, where the typical summer day is 95 degrees at 100% humidity. :mad:

And when you get stung by a mesquito there you have to go to the ER for a stab wound! :eek:

So 25% humidity here in Colorado is pretty tame . . . :p :) :rolleyes:

Carleen

I'm a native so 25% feels like a swamp to me! I couldn't imagine living somewhere with high humidity- I'd be miserable!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

carl.swoyer

Check out the communications cable,looks like a phone cable. Use dielectric grease and make sure the connector are corrosion free. The moisture and green corrosion prevent communication between the thermostat and ac.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lukeysh

If you have the new Dometic Blizzard a/cs, there have been a problem which Dometic has issued a service bulletin to dealerships with a fix. First, I would contact your dealership to see if they have received this bulletin. If you are not near the dealership, then I would contact Heartland, having your VIN # handy, to see who they might have near you that can do the fix. Even tho Heartland purchased and installed these a/c, s, it's a design problem on Dometic side, who in a hurry to get a new product out, didn't fully test it before releasing the a/c, s.

Nabo, we have the units covered under TSB, but it only covers water blowing into plenums. Our bedroom had sme issue as thread described, not cooling, then shutting off and recycling. This is a bad compressor and had to get new unit ordered. Taking to the folks at RVS4less tomorrow for install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharmafrog

Last night ours started doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out what was going on and what the remedy was? It would run for about 20 minutes and then shut down. I could cycle it back to fan (kicks on) and then to cool (compressor fires) but then about 20 minutes and then shut down again. We have pets also and this is a show stopper.

jimandjean

I haven't yet, I've been home and only run the rear air - which never gave me trouble. I'll be emptying fridge and shutting it down soon, so I can run the front A/Cs for a few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimandjean

Pharmafrog - which of your airs did this? Bedroom, living room or garage? Do you have 2 A/C's or three? Do you have a toggle switch to control which AC runs? Trying to narrow this down. Mine happened on BOTH ACs that were on the toggle switch. Seems suspicious to me. Have not reproduced yet. I've run 36 hrs at home on bedroom. Haven't tried the living room yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harlancook

Carl:

I welcomed reading your comments about the communications cable.

On our 2013 Landmark Key Largo, we just paid to repair an "E1" error on the bedroom thermostat. It caused a loss of communications with the roof unit which caused it to shut down. The weird thing was the ac would come back on randomly, sometimes for days or weeks then shut down again. (Most frustrating!) Upon repair, I was shown the splice and 2 phone connectors which were totally black with corrosion. The repair tech indicated the splice is in the return air duct and it would happen again.....so he used waterproof connectors on the comm. wires.

My question is this.....does the comm. cable that goes into the control panel under the air conditioner also have a plug-in type telephone plug? If so, does it also need to have dielectric grease applied? And....am I correct that the air conditioner must be lifted up for access?

Thanks for the expert input!

carl.swoyer

Harlancook
It's been awhile since I've had that problem. I can't remember for sure but I think it's in the area of the mixing box . There is a access panel on the ac cold air and warm air intake

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk