Dometic fridge fans

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The lens just slides off. You will see the wire attaching near the base of the bulb. With power off you can easily pry the wire off with a small screwdriver or grasp and pull gently with needle nose pliers.

Bobby A

Very interesting topic guys, I would love to help my fridg cool better. Has anyone installed one of these that you all are talking about on a RM3962 model fridg ??

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Here are some pics of the installation:
IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0108.jpg
There is a "piggyback" connector that comes with the kit. Just clip the red wire to the proper length and crimp the connector to it. The power lead to the light switch is then attached to the "piggyback" and the "piggyback" is connected to the switch. ( Don't substitute my simplified directions for the manufacturer's supplied instructions!)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for the photos. I've got the fan assembly, so next week I'll be installing it in our DM2862.

sgtbigb

I got the lens off. but is at a lose to how to remove the housing from its position to get to the wiring!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Has anyone used these fans on the Norcold side by side refridgerator and if so how did it work? Did it make as big of a cooling difference as it does on the Dometics?

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

danemayer

Has anyone used these fans on the Norcold side by side refridgerator and if so how did it work? Did it make as big of a cooling difference as it does on the Dometics?

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rod,

The improvement comes from better circulation of cold air air inside the frig, so it should help any make/model, assuming it fits on the fins and you can tap off the light bulb or other voltage source. It's inexpensive enough to take a risk. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure you there'd be someone at an upcoming rally who would love to take it off your hands.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
There's no need to get to the wiring. Just remove the bulb and hold the fan wire against the rear bulb contact and reinstall the bulb.

While this will work, it will only work when the door is open and the light turns on. The fans really need to run when the door is shut for better circulation.

danemayer

While this will work, it will only work when the door is open and the light turns on. The fans really need to run when the door is shut for better circulation.
Mark,

Are you sure the back of the bulb doesn't have constant voltage?

mrcomer

Typically there is no "hot" wire on a fixture (bulb), usually the "hot" is at the switch. Try putting a meter on that side of the bulb and ground to the fins of the refer and see what happens.

danemayer

If you take a reading with the door open, it's hot. If you take a reading with the door closed....well, that's the same problem as checking to see if the light really goes out when the door closes.

I was having trouble with the light 18 months ago and looked at the schematic. It was not completely clear to me how the light circuit works (connections p6 and p7?), but I think there's voltage on one terminal of the lamp and the door switches provide a path to ground. If there's someone out there who is better at reading the attached schematic, I'd love to hear what you think.

Attachments

• RM1350 Wiring Diagram w notes.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 52

Willym

The schematic does show the door switches as providing a ground path for the lamp. i.e the lamp should be at +12v all the time. The switches also provide a ground input to the control board (via P7) for what reason, I do not know. Maybe it initiates the cooling circuit whenever the door is open in anticipation of the increased heat load.

If you take a reading with the door open, it's hot. If you take a reading with the door closed....well, that's the same problem as checking to see if the light really goes out when the door closes.

I was having trouble with the light 18 months ago and looked at the schematic. It was not completely clear to me how the light circuit works (connections p6 and p7?), but I think there's voltage on one terminal of the lamp and the door switches provide a path to ground. If there's someone out there who is better at reading the attached schematic, I'd love to hear what you think.

porthole

Retired
The way I read that schematic is P6 is supplying + to the bulb.
There are two switches (why?). When the switch closes the the bulb is grounded and lights.

Why P7? My guess is a signal to the circuit board. Perhaps to activate the fan when the door closes - that feature where the system pulls the door tight initially.

mrcomer

Thanks for clearing thisup. I never would have believed that one side of the bulb was hot. Oh well, that's how it goes. Makes wiring the fans that much easier.