Dometic RM3962 Refer question

Bobby A

Not sure if my fridg of 10 years of full time is showing signs of retirement so I got a couple questions for the Heartland family to address for me. We just got in from a 1200 mile trip from Fl. and the white plastic thing that hold the white wire in place that goes on the 1st fin in the fridge fell off during travel. I can't remember if when placing it back on the fin if raising it higher on the fin is for cooler temp or if lowering it is for cooler temps?? Please refresh my memory, thank you. The fridg has worked wonderful for all these years and even during the recent travel it would stay at temps ranging from 36 to 40 degrees. Once we got set up at our home campgrounds hear in MI. it stays around 40 or 41 degrees, last night it even got up to 43 degrees, I'm starting to get a little worried. Can anyone advise please ??
Thank you in advance,
Bobby A

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bobby, to run colder, place the thermistor clip higher on the fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Thank you John, are you in town or up north ?? I was gonna call you Sunday afternoon.

Bobby

- - - Updated - - -

The Thermistor clip you speak of was always on the last fin to the right on the inside of the fridg. does it have to stay there or can it be on any fin on the inside of the fridg. ??

Thank you,

Bobby A

Can that thermistor clip be placed on any fin on the inside of the fridg ?? Or does it have to be on the very last fin on the right for a reason ?? I ask this question because the clip keeps sliding down on the fin if its on the last fin to the right. If I move it over a fin or two to the left it seems to hold in there better. Can anyone give me an answer on this ?? My fridge is not cooling like it should and maybe its because the thermistor clip keeps sliding down. As John says higher on the fin is cooler temps.
Thank you,

JohnDar

Can that thermistor clip be placed on any fin on the inside of the fridg ?? Or does it have to be on the very last fin on the right for a reason ?? I ask this question because the clip keeps sliding down on the fin if its on the last fin to the right. If I move it over a fin or two to the left it seems to hold in there better. Can anyone give me an answer on this ?? My fridge is not cooling like it should and maybe its because the thermistor clip keeps sliding down. As John says higher on the fin is cooler temps.
Thank you,

You might try using a small Bulldog paper clip below the thermistor clip to keep it from sliding. It is possible that the thermistor probe is not working as it should and needs replacing. Do a google search and you will find ways to test it and replace it, if need be. It’s basically a variable resistor that reacts to temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobby A

You might try using a small Bulldog paper clip below the thermistor clip to keep it from sliding. It is possible that the thermistor probe is not working as it should and needs replacing. Do a google search and you will find ways to test it and replace it, if need be. It’s basically a variable resistor that reacts to temperature

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good idea on the paper clip, and you are right maybe the thermistor probe is going/gone bad, my fridge can only get to 41 degrees on the highest setting of #5. Normally I can get the fridge down to 32 or 33 degrees on #5. Time to call a Mobile RV guy.
Thanks,
Bobby

Bobby A

Good idea on the paper clip, and you are right maybe the thermistor probe is going/gone bad, my fridge can only get to 41 degrees on the highest setting of #5. Normally I can get the fridge down to 32 or 33 degrees on #5. Time to call a Mobile RV guy.
Thanks,
Bobby

After about 10 hours of having the fridg on after defrost, it got down to 40 degress, now its back up to 50 degrees, without putting anything in the fridg. something is for sure not right.

JohnDar

There is an outfit that rebuilds absorption refers like ours. I don’t have their website on file, but you can find it if you do a Google search. Basically, they replace the cooling system on the original box. They have a video on it. May or may not be an option instead of buying a brand new one if it comes to that.

Hope it’s a simple fix for you.

wdk450

I would look around and compare the price of replacing the cooling unit on your current refrig vs the cost of a new refrig. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse has new cooling units built by the Amish Refrigeration Company that are reported to cool better than the Dometic cooling units. I could not find a listing on their website for the RM3962 refrig you cite, but here is a listing for the nearest model I could find, RM3862 : https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM3862-Brand-New-Dometic-Cooling-Unit-P613502.aspx . I would call them or e-mail them at the number posted on their website about your model number difference. This cooling unit is $655. There are Youtube videos online and linked from the RV Cooling Unit website on how to remove and replace the cooling units on a number of models. If the repair is beyond your capabilities, the price difference between the repair and a new unit might justify a RV repair professional to do the job.

The lowest cost I saw or a new RM3962 online was $1460.

Good Luck!!!