Dropped a leg on my 50 amp service.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done any troubleshooting?
I assume you are plugged in to a 50 amp RV receptacle.
Rest the breaker at the pedestal, reset the double breaker in your coach.
Have you checked the voltage on both legs at the pedestal? Should be around 120 volts each leg.
Do you have a transfer switch?
Circle back here with your findings.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If your shore power cable plugs into the trailer, as well as the park receptacle, make sure it's locked into place. If you're plugged into a 30 amp receptacle, or 20 amp, you may have a bad adapter.

Sandman54

Have you done any troubleshooting?
I assume you are plugged in to a 50 amp RV receptacle.
Rest the breaker at the pedestal, reset the double breaker in your coach.
Have you checked the voltage on both legs at the pedestal? Should be around 120 volts each leg.
Do you have a transfer switch?
Circle back here with your findings.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave,

This is the second time this occurred. Since I sent the message the leg started working. About three or four months ago it did the same thing. Last time it happened we checked voltage at the pedestal. I can't remember if we checked at the 50 amp breaker in the coach but I think we did. I also pulled out the power cord and re-spooled it thinking it could be the problem. At the time it went out today there was not much running on that leg just the refrigerator, battery charger and the tv. Do you think it is the 50 amp breaker in the coach

Thanks!

William

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would definitely look at the main breakers.
Be sure to unplug from shore power before doing any electrical work. Also if you have a generator make sure it is off.
Pull the breaker panel and look at the back of the breakers and check the screws for being tight.
Breakers typically don't fail this early in their life but it's possible. They are not expensive so if you don't find a loose wire it won't break the bank to replace it.
Also you didn't specify if you have a transfer switch. If your rig is prepped for a generator it will have a transfer switch and that could be your problem area.

Peace
Dave

Flick

Thanks Dave,

This is the second time this occurred. Since I sent the message the leg started working. About three or four months ago it did the same thing. Last time it happened we checked voltage at the pedestal. I can't remember if we checked at the 50 amp breaker in the coach but I think we did. I also pulled out the power cord and re-spooled it thinking it could be the problem. At the time it went out today there was not much running on that leg just the refrigerator, battery charger and the tv. Do you think it is the 50 amp breaker in the coach

Thanks!

William
If all checks out with no problems with suggestions offered, it sounds like a good chance you have a power reel because you mentioned re-spooling. Some have mentioned in other threads with connection problems there.