Dually or not ?

rwdennis

Thinking about a new truck , looking at a one ton Ram , dont know if i need a duley or will a single rear wheel work ? trailer is a RW 429 , weighs about 16000 dry 18500 loaded , about 3600 pin weight . THANKS !

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rather than relying on anecdotal information, find your truck in these spec sheets. 3600 lbs sounds like a lot to put on a SRW axle.

arisce

Get the dually. Bigger axle. Bigger brakes. Safer. With no limitations as to what to pull.

carl.swoyer

I towed srw for ten years.
Never again. At 16000 lbs a dually is the only way to tow. You'll never regret the up grade.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Dually, you can never have too much truck.
Buy one and done, you should be able to tow most anything on the market with one.

Hockster

NYSUPstater

Going to chime in w/ my thoughts. DRW w/ that much weight. 16K dry and probly 20K max for the RW and IMO, it's too much for any SRW truck despite the mfr's stating it can tow "X". We had a '15 F350 SRW SB,4x4,CC, 6.7 and thought that would be our last truck. Then 2 years later we upgraded the RV and that put us over on pretty much everything even tho truck was rated at 11,500. 1st year, no problem as we stayed "local" (NE area). 2nd year vaykay plans were taking us to FL in Aug and knowing I was over on things .....especially the tires, gut feeling wouldn't go away. So ended up trading the SRW in for a '17 F350 DRW,CC,4x4. Towing wise, freaking great. Everyday cruiser when needed, okay, but can live w/it. Wintertime, IMO, STINKS ! Wife said she feels more comfy driving the DRW while towing the RV than she did the SRW w/ either trailer we had and she only tows the RV when she's the relief driver for a spell. Will admit, she's very GOOD at it to. Play it safe and go DRW.

ILH

I had a GMC 2500 SRW pulling a twin axle Road Warrior for 8 years. The diesel was great, but when I moved up to the 2020 Newport, I bought a RAM 3500 dually. No regrets - love the stability that the dually provides. While I love the RAM, I'm sure the GMC and Ford are equally good. Don't hold back on safety!

taskswap

I literally just bought a 2021 Ram 2500 HD SRW Diesel and I can tell you for a fact that you will be over its capacity. It can be very frustrating to look up these ratings because Ram's spec sheets only cover basic builds and differences in how it's built and configured impact the rating. For instance the towing-rating sheet for my exact truck says 15,700 but the UConnect app they give you that actually ties to your specific vehicle says 16,200. Either way you're going to be over.

Personal opinion, I feel like 15k is about the max I'd tow with a SRW. There are all kinds of issues you run into that make it not as simple as a single number. If I look inside my driver's side door (y'all should do this...) my max CARGO capacity (occupants and bed) is 1800lbs. That's your max pin weight. It's a rare 16k trailer that doesn't also have a 2200lb or so pin weight.

rclogg

All manufactures should provide this kind of site. Ram will tell you vin specific Ram Towing specs. We had a 2003 DWR cc 5.9 Ram for 400,000 miles and loved it. Then we went to a '14 6.7 CTD DRW CC 4.10 Aisin trans Ram (39890# towing capacity, 4800# payload); the difference was night and day. Go as big as afford you'll never regret having too much truck, ever.

BLR

Love my wide hips. Daily Driver.since 1997
I personally would never go back to SWR
Started with F350 the F550 now F450.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Until my 2009 GMC 3500 dually gives up the ghost, I’ll keep driving it. Even though I no longer have a trailer to pull with it. When the time comes to replace it, then I’ll consider a 1500 SRW…maybe

People still admire my truck and are amazed when I tell them what year it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmnmy

I had 4 srw trucks and two years ago got a dually haven’t looked back. Tows like a dream and you can tell the difference. Also feels more stable in the wind ... for me good luck.

southernlady5464

All manufactures should provide this kind of site. Ram will tell you vin specific Ram Towing specs. We had a 2003 DWR cc 5.9 Ram for 400,000 miles and loved it. Then we went to a '14 6.7 CTD DRW CC 4.10 Aisin trans Ram (39890# towing capacity, 4800# payload); the difference was night and day. Go as big as afford you'll never regret having too much truck, ever.
Ford has a similar guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Confused

Owned a '12 3500 SRW when we found our used RW 420. Truck specs said it wouldn't pull it so I bought a '21 3500 DRW CC LB. Should pull anything I'll ever need it to. Configured to tow 33K max.

On the return home from Sturgis on Sunday, I scaled it. This is with nothing in the tanks and a golf cart and HD Electra Glide in the garage.
Truck only - 9280 Gross (5400 Steer and 3880 Drive)
Truck and Trailer - 29,240 Gross (5420 Steer, 7440 Drive, and 16,380 Trailer)
Calculated trailer weight - 19,940
Calculated pin weight - 3560

Get the dually, you won't regret it. The specs listed for trailers is typically wrong.