Electric Awning Slow

DickO

I have a 2010 Bighorn 3055. Recently the electric awning became real slow to the point I had to push it up with a broom. I understand the motor either works or not with no inbetween. I changed the automotive fuse and it worked fine. Now it is getting slow again. Any suggestions?

Duramax1

My awning did the same thing. As it was under warranty I returned to the dealership to have it checked out.

The repair consisted of tightening up the internal spring. That was a real surprise to learn that an electric awning also has an internal spring, the same as the manual awnings, and this spring is used to assist in closing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the motor fails while extended, it's the spring that will allow you to retract it, similar to a manual awning. But it's a one-way trip after you remove the motor. If you don't have one, get an awning strap and awning rod to keep in the basement, for the day when it does fail. You'll need them along with an assistant.

If the motor fails while retracted, you're screwed. It is not designed to be operated manually.

I am also having the same problem with my awning on my 2010 3600RL. I phoned Dometic and it is still under warranty (parts only). I am down in Yuma now and have a guy coming out tomorrow to look at it. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Make sure the battery is charged and the converter is working properly. Low 12 volt voltage can cause the awning to move slowly or not work at all.