electric awning

Bobby A

Is it normal for a brand new electric awning on a brand new 2010 Big Horn to be slow on retraction in only a couple month use ?? I cring everytime I put my awning in, praying it will retract without fail. If this is normal on a new coach, I hate to thinkwhat it might be like in a couple years. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Duramax1

I am experiencing the same problem with my awning. The unit is going back to the dealer this Wed. I suspect that the motor is defective.

Duramax1

I went to the dealership today and was told that the spring in the awning needed to be tightened and that cured the problem. The awning is a Dometic.

Bobby A

I went to the dealership today and was told that the spring in the awning needed to be tightened and that cured the problem. The awning is a Dometic.

Thanks for the update Duramax1, keep me posted as you bring your awning in and out many times and let me know if it is still working good when you bring the awning in. I really appreciate your reply, but what is really getting me ticked off is, my question was sent to "ask the factory", I realize the big dogs at the factory have other dutys and can not set and monitor this forum 24/7 but it has been several days since I posted this question and still they haven't addressed it. I thank you again.

Jimmyt5

from carefree.
The motor has a thermal protection circuit. If the motor overheats, the circuit will
shut off the motor. Wait approximately 15 minutes, operation will return to normal.
As an example, this may occur if the awning is fully closed and retract switch
pushed repeatedly, then the awning does not extend.
2. The awning seems to extend and retract slowly. Normal operation time is 28-35
seconds to extend or retract. If the power supply is on the low side of the​
acceptable voltage range (10VDC-14VDC) the awning will move slower.

jbeletti

Bobby my friend - chill out dude :)

I apologize that your ATF question was not yet answered by the factory. In this case, it will not be answered. In many cases, questions will be answered.

Not picking on Bobby here, this is for everyone - in order to give some insight that may help to better understand the situation.

Heartland has around 13 brands. Each brand has a Brand Manager. These people have been in the industry for varying lengths of time - yet, significant in all cases.

Not all Brand Managers have worked on the production line or in service. As such, their personal level of expertise varies.

Brand Managers receive a copy of all ATF posts made within their brand(s) forum. When they can, they answer directly. When they cannot, they usually seek the answer from Engineering or Customer Service. Many times, Customer Service will reply with the answer (jfenner for example).

But there are times that the Brand Manager, Engineering and Customer Service will not know an answer. This however is no excuse for a question to be ignored. We will work on this and strive to at least give an "I don't know" and attempt to give additional direction on where the requester could go next for the answer.

Then there is another important layer to all of this. You! All of our product owners. You use the products, live in the products, service the products in many cases. You are the true resident experts on many issues that come up. And you step right up, every single day to answer questions - even in the ATF forums. For this we thank you.

I wish I could tell you that in all cases, you will always get an answer from factory personnel. Sadly, we are not able to do this.

I also want to remind everyone that whether your unit is under warranty or not, our Customer Service department is and will remain available to you the entire time you own it. Feel free to contact them at 877-262-8032.

Of course, most everyone knows that your dealer "should be" your first line of defense. Exceptions would be where your dealer is no longer in business or no longer carries Heartland products. And if you bought out-of-state or out-of-country, your selling dealer should still be available to you in some capacity by phone for questions.

Finally, on a sticker in most of our RVs, on the portal and other locations on this site and the factory site, are phone numbers to many of our suppliers. Most of these suppliers will assist you with questions by phone, in or out of warranty.

My point of all of this is to say:
1. The ATF is not always going to be the answer
2. The ATF, while important, is not the only route to satisfaction

Again, this commentary is not directed to Bobby specifically, it is here for everyone.

Thanks Bobby for raising the question.

Jim

Bobby A

Bobby my friend - chill out dude :)

I apologize that your ATF question was not yet answered by the factory. In this case, it will not be answered. In many cases, questions will be answered.

Not picking on Bobby here, this is for everyone - in order to give some insight that may help to better understand the situation.

Heartland has around 13 brands. Each brand has a Brand Manager. These people have been in the industry for varying lengths of time - yet, significant in all cases.

Not all Brand Managers have worked on the production line or in service. As such, their personal level of expertise varies.

Brand Managers receive a copy of all ATF posts made within their brand(s) forum. When they can, they answer directly. When they cannot, they usually seek the answer from Engineering or Customer Service. Many times, Customer Service will reply with the answer (jfenner for example).

But there are times that the Brand Manager, Engineering and Customer Service will not know an answer. This however is no excuse for a question to be ignored. We will work on this and strive to at least give an "I don't know" and attempt to give additional direction on where the requester could go next for the answer.

Then there is another important layer to all of this. You! All of our product owners. You use the products, live in the products, service the products in many cases. You are the true resident experts on many issues that come up. And you step right up, every single day to answer questions - even in the ATF forums. For this we thank you.

I wish I could tell you that in all cases, you will always get an answer from factory personnel. Sadly, we are not able to do this.

I also want to remind everyone that whether your unit is under warranty or not, our Customer Service department is and will remain available to you the entire time you own it. Feel free to contact them at 877-262-8032.

Of course, most everyone knows that your dealer "should be" your first line of defense. Exceptions would be where your dealer is no longer in business or no longer carries Heartland products. And if you bought out-of-state or out-of-country, your selling dealer should still be available to you in some capacity by phone for questions.

Finally, on a sticker in most of our RVs, on the portal and other locations on this site and the factory site, are phone numbers to many of our suppliers. Most of these suppliers will assist you with questions by phone, in or out of warranty.

My point of all of this is to say:
1. The ATF is not always going to be the answer
2. The ATF, while important, is not the only route to satisfaction

Again, this commentary is not directed to Bobby specifically, it is here for everyone.

Thanks Bobby for raising the question.

Jim

Thanks Jim for clarifying how ATF works, and your right, an "I don't know" would of been better than nothing. Trust me, I'am chilled dude, Jim, its just a little disheartning to not get a response from the factory. This is not the first time I've posted a question to ATF and have not got my issue addressed. It kinda sends a message to the customer that there question is not important. Thanks Jim

K

Kevin_Finn

Bobby,

I apologize that I havent got back to you I have been on the road traveling. We have not received the type of issues that you have had with your awning. I would take it to the dealership and have them take a look at it. If I hear of any other issues with that I will post it to let you know.

Thanks,

Kevin Finn

Bobby A

Bobby,

I apologize that I havent got back to you I have been on the road traveling. We have not received the type of issues that you have had with your awning. I would take it to the dealership and have them take a look at it. If I hear of any other issues with that I will post it to let you know.

Thanks,

Kevin Finn

That's all I needed to hear, thanks for getting back to me, apology accepted. I think you will hear more of the same issue, I have talked to several with the same slow upon retraction. I will look for your post on this issue in the future. Thanks again Kevin.

jbeletti

Thanks Jim for clarifying how ATF works, and your right, an "I don't know" would of been better than nothing. Trust me, I'am chilled dude, Jim, its just a little disheartning to not get a response from the factory. This is not the first time I've posted a question to ATF and have not got my issue addressed. It kinda sends a message to the customer that there question is not important. Thanks Jim

Hi Bobby,

I understand how you feel Bobby. Thanks for understanding our end of this as well. And please, do not hesitate to call customer service - ever. And as you and I know each other, you have my number :) While I may not have the answer, I might be able to direct you.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bobby,

Thanks,

Kevin Finn

FYI, Mine does the same thing and has since it was new. It has now gotton to the point it goes out fine but when retracting it will get within 1 foot of completely closing and stop. After waiting about 2 minutes I can get it to move again and competely close. I am working on a cure, if I find out I will post it.

Jimmyt5

Is it possible, that it is what Carefree said (The motor has a thermal protection circuit)??

jmgratz

It is but the big question is why is the thermal protection activating. Is the motor dragging or what?

jmgratz

Our awning is an A&E Dometic awning. It probably has a thermal cutoff, but why is it activating. I am thinking the motor is weak.

ChopperBill

Our awning is an A&E Dometic awning. It probably has a thermal cutoff, but why is it activating. I am thinking the motor is weak.
We have the Carefree Eclipse that I installed myself. The thermal cut off is tied to the wires on the back of the switch. Yours may be similar. Take the switch plate off and pull out a few inches of wiring, it may be there.

Duramax1

Folks, you are not reading my earlier post closely enough about our A&E Dometic awning.

If your awning goes out normally and the problem is that it retracts very slowly, the motor is okay. The problem is that there is a spring which retracts the awning,( just as with the manual awning,) and it needs to have a couple of more twists put on it.

Tightening the spring however, is not a task for the average do-it yourselfer.

jmgratz

Folks, you are not reading my earlier post closely enough about our A&E Dometic awning.

If your awning goes out normally and the problem is that it retracts very slowly, the motor is okay. The problem is that there is a spring which retracts the awning,( just as with the manual awning,) and it needs to have a couple of more twists put on it.

Tightening the spring however, is not a task for the average do-it yourselfer.

Is the spring tightening something I could do or is an RV repair person needed?