Electric Cord Reel

SKIPCPA

Hi,
New to the forum. Anybody having trouble with the electric cord reel? I have a 19 Bighorn and have only used it about 3 times. The reel seems very weak and usually stops a couple times when reeling in the entire cord. After 10 or 15 seconds the breaker resets and you can start again. Last time I had about 8-10 feet to go and it stopped. You can hear the motor running, but the reel doesn't turn. While I was manually rewinding, I found the instructions stuffed down in the cord compartment. Apparently the reel is chain driven and if the troubleshooting guide is correct, the chain is off the sprocket. Anyone else have trouble with this system? It seems so weak to me that I have thought about getting a receptacle wired in like the old ones.
Thanks.

Gaffer

I think it will be less likely to come off again if you pull the cord straight out, never to the side. And should not stall if you are careful about the cord layers going in nice and straight, only overlapping where necessary to come back across the drum for another nice neat layer.

'Lil Guy'

I think it will be less likely to come off again if you pull the cord straight out, never to the side. And should not stall if you are careful about the cord layers going in nice and straight, only overlapping where necessary to come back across the drum for another nice neat layer.

This is good advice. I repaired mine before. Use the extend to just start the cord out enough to grab onto and then manually pull it straight out to desired length. When I retract it, I pull my cord straight out perpendicular to the reel and help it feed in evenly as neatly as I can.

Dumboldles

I have had problems with my cord real also. When retracting DW pushes the button while I carefully guide it back onto the role.

Dumboldles

SNOKING

50Amp shore cables are very heavy. Our 2017 BH3575el has a cord reel and our 2017 Laredo does not. That 50 free cable is a handful on the Laredo, so I can see how the power reel of trailers will need a little help, which I have been doing with the Bighorn. Now that the Bighorn is not going on the road anymore and is our summer home, I am thinking about moving the power reel to the Laredo commuter trailer.

I pull/drag the shore cable over to the area in front of the reel before I attempt to reel it in. Chris

Lou_and_Bette

I second the advice on making the cord straight on retraction to reduce the drag. I also "fold" the cord back towards the rig so the reel only has to pull 1/2 the weight of the cord, further reducing drag.

jimcat

2015 Newport.. is the cord a 50 or 35'? Seems the button to retract is shot.. and the cords contacts could be gone as well. THinking or replacing the cord