Electric Leveling on a Travel Trailer - anyone do this?

jbeletti

I'm considering adding LCI's Ground Control TT on my next demo coach, a Sundance 262 RB (more info about this change at this link).

So I'm wondering if any who reads this forum has added electric leveling to their travel trailer. If you have, please share your feedback here. If you've used Ground Control TT, even better.

More detail on the Travel Trailer variant of Ground Control at this link and below.

General Flyer from LCI's website
Ground Control - Travel Trailer - Flyer.jpg
(click for larger view)
Product Sell Sheet from LCI's website
Ground Control - Travel Trailer - Sell Sheet.jpg
(click for larger view)

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Several years back (guessing 6-7), Ginger and I were taking a tour of the one travel trailer plants. We noticed a 4pt Ground Control system on a few of TTs. Not sure if it is still available from factory.

It seems the system is very robust and must be working well. At the Pittsburgh RV show, we were talking to the rep from a SOB and noticed the “Ground Control” system on some of their 5ers with electric front landing gear. He said it was working well and is a very popular option for units without hydraulic fronts.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Several years back (guessing 6-7), Ginger and I were taking a tour of the one travel trailer plants. We noticed a 4pt Ground Control system on a few of TTs. Not sure if it is still available from factory.

It seems the system is very robust and must be working well. At the Pittsburgh RV show, we were talking to the rep from a SOB and noticed the “Ground Control” system on some of their 5ers with electric front landing gear. He said it was working well and is a very popular option for units without hydraulic fronts.

Possible it was still the original 4-jack Rieco-Titan Ground Control System. I installed it on my BH and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, the inventor, Sonny Dismuke, sold it and all rights to Lippert after that. Now R-T can’t provide parts for older systems but they will try to help over the phone.

A few years back, I was able to get a replacement motor from R-T after one quit running and I had to crank it by hand via the socket on the top of the motor. I took the old one apart only to find the problem was a butt connection that had come apart. Fixed that and now have a spare motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Guy I camped next to this summer had these installed. They seemed to do a nice job..he really liked them.

Now...you will get folks coming over to tell you YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!! (I did this to my neighbor)

You will have times where the front jack comes off the ground during leveling. He said (which I still don't agree with) that the mfg says NOT to use the front jack, other then taking trailer on/off truck.

jbeletti

Guy I camped next to this summer had these installed. They seemed to do a nice job..he really liked them.

Now...you will get folks coming over to tell you YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!! (I did this to my neighbor)

You will have times where the front jack comes off the ground during leveling. He said (which I still don't agree with) that the mfg says NOT to use the front jack, other then taking trailer on/off truck.

Jim - I'd think that when using 4-point leveling on a shorter travel trailer, with the front levelers right behind the A-frame, there would be no need to use the tongue jack in leveling. At least that's what makes sense in my mind as those 2 front levelers are taking the weight of the font of the coach and therefore no need for that 5th point.

Oregon_Camper

Jim - I'd think that when using 4-point leveling on a shorter travel trailer, with the front levelers right behind the A-frame, there would be no need to use the tongue jack in leveling. At least that's what makes sense in my mind as those 2 front levelers are taking the weight of the font of the coach and therefore no need for that 5th point.

Agree....but 99% of the folks out there have not seen these. You will get folks coming by to let you know something is wrong. :eek::eek::eek:

jbeletti

Do you remember a number of years ago at the Hershey show, we had a Sundance there with the very first TT to have hydraulic leveling? That was cool. Guess it must not have taken off as hoped. If Ground Control 3 - TT edition is now dialed-in, it should be adequate for most TTs.

jbeletti

Agree....but 99% of the folks out there have not seen these. You will get folks coming by to let you know something is wrong. :eek::eek::eek:

Okay - I got ya now. 14+ years and 9 RVs later, I might be doing something wrong. It'll be fun. But they better bring me a beer when they come over to tell me I'm doing it wrong :)

porthole

Retired
Do you remember a number of years ago at the Hershey show, we had a Sundance there with the very first TT to have hydraulic leveling? That was cool. Guess it must not have taken off as hoped. If Ground Control 3 - TT edition is now dialed-in, it should be adequate for most TTs.

Didn't take off like the radiant floor heat in the Road Warrior, same show IIRC

jbeletti

Didn't take off like the radiant floor heat in the Road Warrior, same show IIRC

Carbonic - I think. yeah, I think there was some other reason for it not being offered. Regulatory - RVIA maybe - I forget.

Many things are tried (flower boxes :) but not everything sticks :)

pegmikef

I had electric legs on my North Trail and it isn't much of a leap to visualize them as levelers (electric legs had no real lift capability). I think it is a very reasonable modification. I always used my tongue to level front to back, but also had to carry a selection of lumber for side to side leveling.

jbeletti

I had electric legs on my North Trail and it isn't much of a leap to visualize them as levelers (electric legs had no real lift capability). I think it is a very reasonable modification. I always used my tongue to level front to back, but also had to carry a selection of lumber for side to side leveling.

Hi Mike - I recall my TT days from 2004, carrying lego blocks, then progressing to 2x10 boards with 45 degree ends, stackable. Don't miss that stuff. Hoping to not have to carry it all.

CarterKraft

Not exactly what you are asking but I recently installed a DIY "Level-e-nuff" system comprised of two 7k motor home jacks at the rear behind the axles on my TT. It has been well worth the effort and has made setting up so much easier and provided a much needed solid foundation when setup.

If the front jacks on the Ground Control system can raise the tongue jack off the ground then you shouldn't have any trouble.

BAL came out with a similar system to what I deployed using the 3 points of the tongue jack and two rear jacks to level then deploy the lighter duty stabilizers to stabilize. Either system is probably fine but I prefer the tripod approach in theory because I think in the event of a screw up with the auto system there shouldn't be as much torsion on the chassis as can be possible with a 4 point system.

Look in my mods thread for info, I wouldn't suggest a roll your own approach if a OEM system is offered but in reality it's cheap enough for anyone to add to their TT as a DIY.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We considered adding the LCI Ground Control TT to our North Trail but decided that the additional weight was not worth it.

The ground control TT weighs in at approximately 442 lbs.

The currently installed LCI Front and rear electric stabilizers weighed approximately 58lbs per front or rear and the power tongue jack was less than 30lbs.
The installed jacks would probably be replaced. Adding ground control would add at least 300 lbs more than currently installed jacks. And if leaving the rear stabilizers on was considered due to overall length then it would be closer to 360 lbs.

Adding over 300lbs of permenant weight to the trailer would really cut into cargo capacities used for other more flexible weight that is regularly changing such water, propane and food etc.

On a larger 5th wheel with more spare cargo capacity, it may make more sense.

jbeletti

Not exactly what you are asking but I recently installed a DIY "Level-e-nuff" system comprised of two 7k motor home jacks at the rear behind the axles on my TT. It has been well worth the effort and has made setting up so much easier and provided a much needed solid foundation when setup.

If the front jacks on the Ground Control system can raise the tongue jack off the ground then you shouldn't have any trouble.

BAL came out with a similar system to what I deployed using the 3 points of the tongue jack and two rear jacks to level then deploy the lighter duty stabilizers to stabilize. Either system is probably fine but I prefer the tripod approach in theory because I think in the event of a screw up with the auto system there shouldn't be as much torsion on the chassis as can be possible with a 4 point system.

Look in my mods thread for info, I wouldn't suggest a roll your own approach if a OEM system is offered but in reality it's cheap enough for anyone to add to their TT as a DIY.

I remember reading your Level-e-nuff" thread. Thanks for sharing.

jbeletti

We considered adding the LCI Ground Control TT to our North Trail but decided that the additional weight was not worth it.

The ground control TT weighs in at approximately 442 lbs.

The currently installed LCI Front and rear electric stabilizers weighed approximately 58lbs per front or rear and the power tongue jack was less than 30lbs.
The installed jacks would probably be replaced. Adding ground control would add at least 300 lbs more than currently installed jacks. And if leaving the rear stabilizers on was considered due to overall length then it would be closer to 360 lbs.

Adding over 300lbs of permenant weight to the trailer would really cut into cargo capacities used for other more flexible weight that is regularly changing such water, propane and food etc.

On a larger 5th wheel with more spare cargo capacity, it may make more sense.

Good point on the weight David. Maybe I should consider upgrading my axles and springs aftermarket as well. It won't change the GVWR but might be needed as I'm adding a lot of items.