Electrical Issue, Can anyone help!

andre2001

We own a 2020 Big Country 3560SS and have been really enjoying it. Yesterday we arrived at the campsite got set up and connected to shore power. As usual we plug in our Progressive Surge Protector, all light indicated clean power I plug the RV up to it and everything was working as normal. This morning there was an audible alert from the fridge with a message stating "No AC", but it stopped seconds later. Shortly after that I heard the AC kick on for a few seconds then shut off. At this point I went out to inspect the pedestal to ensure we were still getting power and noticed that the surge protector was now showing a open neutral light. I disconnected it, shut the breaker off and plugged it back in. Once again the lights indicated the power was good however, when I plugged the RV into the surge protector, I got the open neutral indicator light again. I checked all outlets inside the RV with a tester and none of them showed an open neutral. I then checked the breaker panel and noticed two neutral wires were loose so I tightened them thinking surely this must be the cause of the issue but to my surprise it wasn't. Everything seems to be working except the microwave and A/C units. When I turn them on, they power up for a few seconds then shut down as if they are getting enough power. Any idea what could be causing this or how can I find the open neutral?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Locate the wiring junction boxes for those devices and check that all connections are secure. Wire nuts can come loose bouncing down the road.

david-steph2018

Look and see if the surge protector will read problems in your rig. I believe it only checks power coming in. I am not sure completely, but I think that is all it works
Electrical Management System (EMS) helps to protect your RV against voltage fluctuations, power surges and incorrectly wired shore power which can cause severe and costly damage to RV appliances and electronics. (https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x)

So, get in touch with the park and have them check their post.

wdk450

I would also maybe check out your shorepower cord, and its connections.

This is a good argument for the built-in Progressive EMS-HW50C box which tests everything up to the internal EMS box including your incoming power cable connections, and inside shorepower wiring in the trailer.

andre2001

All, thank you all for your advice it was greatly appreciated, after following what each of you suggested David your recommendation was what worked. I reached out to the camp host and informed them of the issue I was having, they sent a couple of maintenance men over to inspect the post and discovered that the post was over heating. Not sure why or how but we were moved to a different site and our unit is now working as normal again. Thanks to you all once again!