Emissions Delete Duramax

RB2012

OK, had a wierd thing happen on my 2011 chevy duramax. Went to put the shifter in drive and the indicator was missing in the window in the dash, it turned out to be the transmission control module, $900 yikes. While talking to the service manager to see if a warranty might apply (no luck yet) he suggested eliminating the total emissions egr valve, def, nox sensors etc , he stated the 2011 was the whipping boy of the first year of the general motors def experiment and that was the worst year. Now i am out of warranty so thats a mute point but I will be eliminating 75% of all the future problems. I have to sign a release stating the truck is for off road use. I plan on keeping the truck for at least another 2 yrs and I know I will be hurting my trade in value but the increased fuel mileage and increase in power has got my attention. By the way the cost is $1900. ANY THOUGHTS OUT THERE WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS Capt RC

lynndiwagoner

Same thing happened to my 2011. TCM was 900.00 at dealer. I griped to GM and they rebated me 200.00. You can buy that module from Amazon for around 250.00 but you need to get it programmed. Once all of the recalls and nox sensors were replaced under warranty (100,000 miles) the thing has been trouble free. Some of those sensors have an extended warranty on them past 100,000 miles. Ask the service manager. I'm not sure I would take all of the stuff off but that's just me. I know a lot of people do it.

SNOKING

"I have to sign a release stating the truck is for off road use." Yet you are not going to do that.

If you delete it, be sure to hang onto everything removed. A dealer can not legally sell a deleted vehicle. If you license in an area that requires smog testing you will be in trouble from the get go.

BIL tried to license his deleted 2008 RAM in Arizona and they throw him and the truck out of the inspection station. When he sold their home in Ohio, he got rid of the removed parts. I had told him to hang onto the stuff. Big mistake!

Chris

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
And if you plan to go to California, and your deleted truck blows a lot of black smoke (and it will), and then you get stopped by the CHP or just about any other law enforcement agency, they will down your truck until you get all the equipment replaced before driving it again. That means big bucks before leaving the state...

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
And if you plan to go to California, and your deleted truck blows a lot of black smoke (and it will), and then you get stopped by the CHP or just about any other law enforcement agency, they will down your truck until you get all the equipment replaced before driving it again. That means big bucks before leaving the state...

I have been pulled over twice by the DOT, in two different pickups, here in Colorado and all they did was look under the hood and under the passenger side.

david-steph2018

We had a 2008 Ram and had the issues with DEF particle filter plugging up. ... Ram actually sent a check for $5000 for the issue with instructions on how to solve the problem. Since I was not original owner Ram would not buy back the truck but told me how to fix it.
I did the delete item to all of mine. Fuel mileage went up about 4 MPG.
When I traded it for the 2017 Ram nothing was said ...

Yes I was not the original owner I bought it from a used car dealer and it had 60000 miles on it when I bought it.

The cost of the DEF filter that Ram replaced 4 times ... was $3000 each filter. The reason it kept plugging was poor design.

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

We had a 2008 Ram and had the issues with DEF particle filter plugging up. ....Ram actually sent a check for $5000 for the issue with instructions on how to solve the problem. Since I was not original owner Ram would not buy back the truck but told me how to fix it.
I did the delete item to all of mine. Fuel mileage went up about 4 MPG.
When I traded it for the 2017 Ram nothing was said...

Yes I was not the original owner I bought it from a used car dealer and it had 60000 miles on it when I bought it.

The cost of the DEF filter that Ram replaced 4 times ... was $3000 each filter. The reason it kept plugging was poor design.

Was it the Green 2 wheel drive that my BIL now has?????

Last edited by a moderator:

brianlajoie

I have heard that removing the new emmisions parts is a violation of the clean air act (if it still exists) and your truck could be towed to the nearest dfealer and have the parts reinstalled plus a fine. About $7500. Chances of that happening are slim, but still exists.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have heard that removing the new emmisions parts is a violation of the clean air act (if it still exists) and your truck could be towed to the nearest dfealer and have the parts reinstalled plus a fine. About $7500. Chances of that happening are slim, but still exists.

Not so slim. We have been pulled over twice this year once in CO and once in NE and all they did was look to make sure we had our emission equipment installed. The CO DOT officer said it was a $2500 fine, towed to Ford and once all original equipment was installed we could get our pickup back. With some states struggling to make ends meet it makes sense that they start checking folks and fining them for non compliance.

Speedy

Not so slim. We have been pulled over twice this year once in CO and once in NE and all they did was look to make sure we had our emission equipment installed.

When you say "pulled over" was emissions the primary violation or was there another violation / probable cause that you were pulled over? The only thing an LEO is going to be able to see without a warrant is the exhaust system.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
When you say "pulled over" was emissions the primary violation or was there another violation / probable cause that you were pulled over? The only thing an LEO is going to be able to see without a warrant is the exhaust system.

Pulled over, no violation, no ticket. They were just checking to see if our emissions were intact. If you actually believe your warrant comment, you can sit on the side of the road till they produce one if you want. My guess is they will have probable cause once you refuse to take 5 seconds to open the hood.

ksucats

This was a bit ago (last February actually) when we went to Albuquerque and stayed on Kirtland AFB's famcamp. We were stopped coming on the base by one of their finest (military police) for a 'routine' vehicle inspection, nothing major and nothing out of the ordinary, that is until one noticed my Kansas plates. He immediately asked the other Air Man to get a mirror and go around the passenger side of the vehicle - I asked him why just that side (I was curious because normally I've seen them view the whole underside). The one told me that they were checking for exhaust modifications because of all the air problems Albuquerque was having. My last question, after I told him everything was stock, was if Albuquerque was now doing exhaust (EPA) checks on diesels like they had been doing for gassers for many many years. He told me not yet but that the base figured it was coming so was warning the employees and military to be aware and watch the news for such. That same evening I happened to be reading the base's paper and saw an article where the city was looking at the amount of diesel exhaust 'dust' being emitted. Timing was impeccable.

I don't know what is going on now.

Lynn1130

The only thing an LEO is going to be able to see without a warrant is the exhaust system.

Which then opens the door for further inspection without a warrant. Vehicles are different animals than a residence. AZDOT and other state DOT's have broad powers when it comes to inspections on state and federal highways. You sign your driver's license and/or obtain a license plate you give permission for a whole passel of inspections. For instance, and slightly off the topic. You sign for a driver's license in Arizona you give permission for a test of your blood/breath/urine for intoxicating substances. You can refuse at the stop but you then loose your license. The LEO will get a warrant and get your blood anyway.

And back on topic. In the two most populated counties in Arizona (Maricopa and Pima) you are required to have your vehicle emissions tested which includes an inspection by plugging into the OBD port (computer), gas cap, and under the hood for modifications. No warrant needed. You signed your rights away when you bought your tags.

I am surprised that there are cases of civilian drivers being stopped for DOT violations/inspections considering the number of trucks on the road. It seems that those trucks make it a target rich environment. And military bases are a whole other animal. They have rules and powers that no civilian LEO has.

Speedy

It is routine for LEO to ask to search your vehicle when they suspect something but they still must obtain a warrant if you say no. I have said no and they stop right there, if they make any comment I have them get their commander on scene. I'm polite but unwavering with my rights. If it is not LEO but DOT then I'll tell them to go pound sand they have no authority over me. I would then leave. If they want to call LEO, fine. CA, AZ, CO emission standards do not apply to vehicles not licensed in those states. As long as my vehicle complies with Federal standards then again they can pound sand.