EMS Save

talley

While this event happened on Labor Day, I thought it might have some interest for those with the Electrical Management System... or thinking about buying one. I had my BH for two years before I finally installed a Progressive Industries EMS 50 HW. In put it in just prior to the trip to the 2009 Heartland Rally. While in Elkhart (not at rally site) I experienced a "P-4" code on the EMS monitor. This indicated a low voltage situation had cut power to the BH and the EMS had restored power before we returned. I felt pretty good about my decision to by the system. Well, on Labor Day we were in the BH when the power went out. I checked the monitor and which had a code of "P-3" indicating high voltage situation had caused the EMS to cut power. The monitor also showed a reading on Leg-1 of 255 volts. Now THAT caused me some concern. I ended up checking the power at the supply box and found it to be ok. Eventually power was restored and everything in the RV was fine. I read up on the operation of the EMS and noted that if the voltage goes over 260 volts the display wil show a reading of "HHH". I don't know what the potential for damage at the low voltage I had previously had might have been; but I feel that the 255 volts would have caused some problems as I had TV, computer and other electronics working at the time. I am now one who can take comfort in the money spent for the EMS!!! Bad things can and do happen...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I cannot tell you how many times our Progressive EMS has done the same for us!!! We put it on right after buying the Bighorn in 07'. It can sometimes feel like a nuisance, especially when power cuts in and out, due to "bad" power at the post...however, I will NEVER have another coach without it...best money we ever spent on the RV (except for maybe the Level-Up...LOL:D)

Thanks Progressive!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is like I have told several people who have asked me why I needed my EMS. My answer, the park may have great power but they cannot control the power that the electric company delivers to them. Mine has saved us numerous times too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Money well spent. When the power goes out or returns, it doesn't always do it cleanly.

driver311

did u have any thing at your home ??????????? if not how many time did any thing burn up????????

driver311:angel::angel:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
did u have any thing at your home ??????????? if not how many time did any thing burn up????????

On my house, I have a 16K natural gas fired generator with an automatic transfer switch. It powers the main breaker panel, not a circuit limited subpanel, in the house.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

No, didn't have anything at our home. However, the power at our home was constant, and well maintained.

Moving from campground to campground, you never know what you're gonna get. If you want to risk it, that's up to you...me, I'd rather protect what I own from places that are not always maintained properly!! JMHO.

talley

"did u have any thing at your home ??????????? if not how many time did any thing burn up????????

driver311:angel::angel:"

I have had one incident where lightening was believed to have been responsible for damage to an A/C unit at my residence. Surely there have been some instances where an event occurred at my "stick" home, but it either did no damage or damage was not identified. We are now full-time in the BH.

While one of the justifications for installing the EMS was the potential for running across RV parks with problems. I can't make the claim that the power spike was somehow related to miswired or poor maintenance at a park. When this happen we were at our home parking location. We have parked here for about the past three years when not travelling... we spend majority of time at this location and have not had previous incidents. There were thunderstorms in the area, but not directly overhead. About twenty minutes after the power was cut, we begain receiving heavy rain lasting about an hour. Did not notice any unusual display of lightening. I am not an electrician, but do believe that electricity can do some funny things. I believe that a lightening strike somewhere nearby as the thunderstorm was building may have been the cause of the spike, resulting in the 255 volt reading and loss of power. What would a 255 volt charge do to the coach without the EMS??! I don't know what, if any damage would have occurred. But, I have now had personal exposure to potentially damaging incidents related to electrical power service and I feel lucky that I had the protection. It may be wishful thinking, but I consider myself at least even on the cost of the EMS vs $$$ damage!!! The continued protection provided by the EMS is now a bonus!!

talley

The EMS has the surge protector plus a number of other features to manage and monitor the electrical power being supplied to the RV.... low voltage/high voltage (below 104/above 138 I think), reverse polarity, open ground, etc. Cost more... about $350 I bought mine at RVupgrade, but shop around. Look at the webpage for accurate info. and compare.

The surge protector at camping world features look pretty close. I am sure others on the Forum are more technology savy than I am and may have better grasp of any signficant difference. I do note that the warrant period for the Progressive device is 3 years. I do like the hard wired device with the remote monitor. I mounted my remote in the side of the interior step leading to bedroom. Each time I entere the RV I can glance at the monitor as I step inside.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

Pulltab

Best money spent on an rv accessory! Talley, low voltage will almost instantly destroy the board on a washer dryer (Splendide) when attempting to use it. Experience speaking here :)

talley

Any idea what effect a high voltage condition like I had (255 volt reading on the EMS monitor) would have had on BH without the EMS?

Does it take more than voltage or would high amperage have to have been involved,,, and do they go hand-in-hand? Perhaps there is a knowledgable person or electrican out there who can weigh-in. I personally have been hit several times with 50,000 volts... (don't taze me bro) but only a low measure of "joules" - which as I recall is a fraction measure of amperage. Effective but no injury...except perhaps from the fall!!

2010augusta

Any idea what effect a high voltage condition like I had (255 volt reading on the EMS monitor) would have had on BH without the EMS?

A little smoke and some really funky smells form all the appliances that were turned on or on standy.;)

Maybe HT will chime in with a more expert explanation.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Charles,
The EMS portable 50 amp was on sale at www.tweetys.com last time I checked. Call and talk to them and ask them the difference to the model CW is selling. I plug mine into the pedestal each campground we stay at. Just in case........... better be safe than sorry.