Entry Door cracking on interior

B

BouseBill

4b030cbd-744e-48f6-a6e1-8872da7d3947_zps7952dae8.jpg

000_0041_zps85926cec.jpg
[/URL]

Departed Wa. state on the 16th of Sept and all was fine.
Arrived at our winter gig and noticed the entry door panel on the interior was cracked in numerous places. Does anyone know if this panel is replaceable? or is a whole new door required? Only seems to be cracking along the length of the window. Any ideas appreciated.

Bill

B

BouseBill

Dan, I must be missing something, I don't see anything but windows at the link. The window is just fine, its the panel surrounding the window that is cracking.

I'll call Heartland later today and see what they have to say.

brianharrison

Hi BouseBill,

I am not able to definitely determine what is actually cracking from the pictures or your descriptions. The close up pictures are great, but a farther out shot would help people like me who are creatively challenged :). Obviously it is not the window as you state; but is it the aluminum sheathing on the inside of the door? The cracks certainly look like a window cracking, or a paint covering a solid surface (like aluminum) cracking. I don't think it is the plastic molding around the window, I think I see that in the pictures on the edges.

I am not sure how the other parts of the door would crack? I am stumped.

Brian

B

BouseBill

cefd5613-3b57-4980-8cb0-aed437d413a5_zps939f58fd.jpg
[/URL]

I had to mess with the contrast and brightness to get the cracks to show up. Hopefully you can see that the cracks radiate OUT from the window frame. Door hinges on the left of the picture.

danemayer

The interior of my door has a styrofoam block. While working on the keyless entry, Lippert suggested I replace the wiring harness which would have required taking the door apart and removing the panel. I looked it over and decided to pass on taking the door apart.

You might want to call Lippert to discuss cost of a new panel vs a new door and level of difficulty for each repair.

brianharrison

That is unique! Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I have not seen or heard of this issue before. I am going to take a look at my 2011 Landmark when I get home to see what kind of job it would be to replace the skin on the inside of the door.....

Brian

priorguy

I think it might be easier to swap the door if the skin as probably attached with adhesive. Are there any cracks elsewhere on your rig? I'd be up on the roof to check that out too. Odd for it to be the door, I've never heard tell of that.

B

BouseBill

I for one am also stumped also. This is not our first rig and I've never seen anything like it either. Prior to leaving Wa. I washed the roof, slider tops and the sidewalls. All else looks fine.

brianharrison

I checked my inside door skin and it is metal, probably aluminium. There is a flange around the outside edge which is integral to the edge C-channel (wraps around the door perimeter). It is screwed on my door except where the hinges attach with rivets. This would be the difficult part to remove.

A quick search online and I found one instance where another RV door inside skin cracked and the cause was water infiltration and swelling of the wood inside the door. It is not clear but the poster thinks his skin is plastic. Certainly not what you might want to hear. Here is that link.

A good check is to take off the inside window flange and you should be able to see the inside of the door at the window area - possibly you can determine the cause of the cracking, or if there was water infiltration causing swelling.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Brian

Bobby A

4b030cbd-744e-48f6-a6e1-8872da7d3947_zps7952dae8.jpg

000_0041_zps85926cec.jpg
[/URL]

Departed Wa. state on the 16th of Sept and all was fine.
Arrived at our winter gig and noticed the entry door panel on the interior was cracked in numerous places. Does anyone know if this panel is replaceable? or is a whole new door required? Only seems to be cracking along the length of the window. Any ideas appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I had the same thing happen, when we were at the Goshen Rally I had several people from Heartland and Lippert look at the door and at that point no one had ever seen that happen. Come to find out there is a small number of us that this has happened to. I had to make a return trip to Lippert several weeks later and they replaced the door. I would call Lippert and send pics, they have been very good to me.