EPDM roof: soft spot like semi dried glue?

harleywalt

Our 2011 Cyclone got a roof cleaning today. I noticed my shoe print in the EPDM in a couple of spots behind the vent fan shroud. It’s soft, and is like half dried tar (skinned) i can push on it with my finger. I do not know the cause, and no other place on the roof is that way. What is the best method for a fix? It’s about 10”X8” will Eternabond tape work, or roof coating of some sort? I don’t want to buy a roof.
I cleaned with Murphy oil soap ( I noticed this before I cleaned) any suggestions?
Walt

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
4" wide Eternabond tape strips, overlapped an inch and extending at least an inch beyond the edges of the spot should do it. Be sure to clean the area with the correct cleaner. Use a hand roller to smooth the tape after it's been applied. When I taped the joints on our BH roof, I used the cleaner sold by Eternabond.

harleywalt

4" wide Eternabond tape strips, overlapped an inch and extending at least an inch beyond the edges of the spot should do it. Be sure to clean the area with the correct cleaner. Use a hand roller to smooth the tape after it's been applied. When I taped the joints on our BH roof, I used the cleaner sold by Eternabond.
Thanks John
I wasn’t sure of the cause or if there would be an additional chemical reaction in that spot using the tape.

JohnDar

Thanks John
I wasn’t sure of the cause or if there would be an additional chemical reaction in that spot using the tape.
Still curious what could have dropped on the roof to act like a solvent to the EPDM. Unless it was a defective batch of material. This link has a list of chemicals that have been tested for compatibility with EPDM.

harleywalt

It may have been MEK. From that list of products that is the only thing I think I may have used and accidentally spilled from a can When I cleaned & replaced the skylite last year. 😩
any Counter acting chemical for this issue known? You think the patch would suffice?
that’s an invaluable list
thanks John.

JohnDar

Here are some websites you might want to check out about repairs. Maybe contacting the manufacturers about using their coatings over an area that's been damaged by MEK.

Another possible fix would be to use the 6" wide Eternabond tape over the area, overlapping each strip 2" to be sure to seal off the damage. I'm assuming the damage isn't spreading over time, just a localized area. As far as counteracting the MEK, I don't think there's any way to do that other than evaporation of any liquid. Once the damage is done, it's probably permanent.

Remember working with MEK back in my lab days. Stuff stinks.

Last edited: