EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: DE, Lincoln - 10/5/2012 to 10/7/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblansfield

Barbara and I really enjoyed ourselves this weekend at the Delaware Chapter Rally. It was our first Heartland Rally and we appreciate all of you for making us feel welcome. We will see you all out there at future events.

Thanks

Earl

hillsonwheels

Well, "Dickle/Dikel/Dikle" (how in the heck do you spell my new nickname anyway?) and "Flash" made to Emporia, VA before calling it quits today. We had heavy rains and did not get as far as we would have liked but we are safely on a site for the night. Stopped at Stingray's just north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel for some great crab cakes. And, :rolleyes: we got out of the bridge/tunnel complex without losing our bikes! :cool: Thanks again to Jim for a laid back rally.

dieselsweetheart

My intuition to miss the rally and head to Pgh to be with my parents was right on....after spending a nice day with my dad and mom on Saturday, and heading back (getting as far as the Harrisburg area)...I was called back to Pgh when my dad was taken to the hospital early Sunday morning in respiratory failure. He spent Sunday and Monday morning on a ventilator (pretty hard for me seeing him like that)...got the tube out Monday at noon, looked ok, we had a long father-daughter chat Monday afternoon. Monday evening when I went back to visit he had a stroke. Told me his arm was heavy and he couldn't move his fingers. You can imagine how I felt. Downhill from there. Wednesday morning the doctors called me to ask how far I wanted to go for him because they believed he was very sick from lung disease and his stroke, and he would not recover. I made the decision to just keep him comfortable and take each moment at a time. I was able to bring my mom in (not in good health either)..and he knew her and said "I love you" and she said "I love you too." Wow. They talked a little bit, she stayed 4 1/2 hours, and she was tired. He said to take mom home...so my kids took her back home. After that he slept and was unresponsive. I spent the night Wednesday, all day Thursday, and prepared to spend Thursday night too. It was just him and me, music, and quiet time of memories and tears...I told him he needed to go...that I would not leave him.... and he began to quietly slip away around 10p...by 11:45p his heart had finally stopped.

I was where I needed to be, and I thank God he was pain-free and slept his way into heaven.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl

jimtoo

How great that you got to spend the precious last moments with him.

You and your family are in our prayers.

Jim and Bette

eblansfield

We are sorry for your loss. I went through it with both my parents so I know how hard it is. However, I also know how special it was to spend time with them, and how comforting it was for me to know their suffering was over.

jbeletti

Cheryl,

We are both so sorry for your loss. I'm happy that you and Dad were able to spend some special time together in his last days here. May Dad now rest in peace and comfort and may you, your Mother and the rest of your family be blessed with understanding, peace and comfort.

Jim and Nancy

dieselsweetheart

Yesterday Jim and I finally got down to the Home of the Brave...home for 9 veterans temporarily down on their luck. This was really the first opportunity we had to go there together since we have spent many of our weekends in Pittsburgh.... we were able to turn over $70 we collected through the basket raffle, and a $100 check given to us by another club member. I also had 3 boxes of canned goods from my parents house we donated...and I had some money through memorial donations for my dad.

Thanks again for those of you who came to the DE rally and took part in the basket raffle and donated other much needed items on their list. Thank you for digging deep and being generous.

"Serving those who have served us."

Cheryl

Last edited:

jbeletti

Awesome Cheryl and Jim. Thanks to you two as well as the DE rally attendees for your support of this cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.