EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TX, Abilene - 3/16/2018 to 3/18/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome Anthony & Leslie A, new Landmark owners from the San Antonio area to the Rally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

We are a week away from many of our attendees arriving at the Whistle Stop RV Resort for the West Texas Chapter Rally! I'm getting very excited, how about y'all?

Guys, be sure to tell your gals to sign up for the pallet party in advance. We need 8 to have the event, we have 4 signed up now. Please please make sure y'all do this, we are going to have a lot of fun, while you guys get to have your fun tinkering on RVs. ;)

TravelTiger

Hey everyone, if you happen to have those pesky day/night shades where the strings break and need some help with learning how to repair, Monica A, aka StarryNight, has offered her assistance during the rally. They are arriving in the 15th, so if you are interested, post here and we'll hook y'all up on a time to do that!

P.S. JoAnn's fabric has the cord needed to do the job.

TravelTiger

Just a quick update on the DYESS AFB TOUR.

Please be aware, part of the tour we will have about 2 mile walk around the Linear Airpark, an outdoor exhibit showcasing Air Force airpower. The 31 aircraft on display today saw action in World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict or Operation Desert Storm.

If you would rather not walk all of that, there are two stops where our tour bus can pick you up and take you along to the next stop, but there are no benches to sit.

Let me know if you have any concerns about this part of the tour.

Erika

pegmikef

Just a quick update on the DYESS AFB TOUR.

Please be aware, part of the tour we will have about 2 mile walk around the Linear Airpark, an outdoor exhibit showcasing Air Force airpower. The 31 aircraft on display today saw action in World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict or Operation Desert Storm.

If you would rather not walk all of that, there are two stops where our tour bus can pick you up and take you along to the next stop, but there are no benches to sit.

Let me know if you have any concerns about this part of the tour.

Erika

Interesting, some of us have flown on some of the models on display.

TravelTiger

Stella said she may have some concerns over a 2 mile walk.

The web page says the length of the airpark is 1.2 miles. I will double check on the exact amount of walking with the contact at the AFB.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Hey everyone, if you happen to have those pesky day/night shades where the strings break and need some help with learning how to repair, Monica A, aka StarryNight, has offered her assistance during the rally. They are arriving in the 15th, so if you are interested, post here and we'll hook y'all up on a time to do that!

JoAnn's Fabric/Craft store usually carries only white cord, either by the yard or in prepackaged amounts. If anyone has several shades that need to be "fixed" I would suggest you contact the shade manufacturer for replacement cord to match your color cord.
My shades are made by SWC (Specialty Window Coverings), I found out this info by looking at the underside of the shade. You can call them to order your cord in 50' rolls for $10.50/roll. It takes about a week to get it mailed to you. They have about 3-4 colors.

TravelTiger

The Dyess contact responded: "The museum and the Weapons Load Barn shouldn't be too much walking, but the Linear Air Park will, approximately two miles."

pegmikef

I always used 80 lb. test fishing line to repair mine as the sun won't rot it and you won't have to replace it again.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Please put Dave and I down for the Frontier Museum Tour.

Gotcha!

If anyone has not responded they want to go to the Frontier Museum, we'll ask again at the Meet and Greet Friday, so don't fret if you are still on the fence.

'Lil Guy'

Debbie and I will be cancelling our trip to Abilene this week. We'll catch up with everyone down the road. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mimi

Sure hate we had to cancel this Rally as we were looking forward to visiting with our new friends.
But Mimi duty called. Our daughters daycare provider is on vacation this weeks and it is Mimi’s
joy to watch little 18 Mo Matthew. We are set on go for Kinder and hope to see many of you there. Have a great Rally

Paul and Cindy Robinson

TravelTiger

Another follow up from Dyess regarding the walking portion: The linear air park is broken into sections, and each section has enough parking space for the bus to pull into, so if anyone needs to take a break and sit down they would be more than able to--otherwise the bus will be able to bring them directly to the section of the aircraft that Mr. Vanderburg would like to highlight, so they won't be expected to stand and walk for the entirety of the air park!

Status
Not open for further replies.