EVENT: Heartland Regional Rally: NC, Rodanthe * - 4/30/2010 to 05/02/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mini convoy..jpgMini-convoy to OBX! #1- Larry and Sam, #2- Jim Beletti, #3 John and Deb Bylinski, #4 Terry and Renee Deal
This stop was Roanoak Island rest area - about an hour from the campground
HPIM1551..jpgOur group listening to Hatteras lighthouse history

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
View attachment 8247Mini-convoy to OBX! #1- Larry and Sam, #2- Jim Beletti, #3 John and Deb Bylinski, #4 Terry and Renee Deal
This stop was Roanoak Island rest area - about an hour from the campground
View attachment 8248Our group listening to Hatteras lighthouse history

We know that this was a rough group to be traveling with,especially number 2 in the convoy,but we survived the trip.LOL.Of course just the opposite is true.They are a great group.We caught up with them at this rest area and we all shared our snacks and our close calls on the way down.

hillsonwheels

Hey ya'll,

Kudos to all for two great rallies. Same with us...nice to meet new folks and see the ones we've met before. Too bad you couldn't have stuck around. The wind did actually stop blowing tuesday night and most of wednesday (tho the fog did roll in thick enough for delayed school start times). Wanna ask John Bylinski how do you plow fog???????? :D Don't believe there'd be any overtime associated with that.

We were the last ones to leave Camp Hatteras. Made sure to close the door to keep the wind in that area. :cool: We are now parked in Lake Gaston Campground overlooking Lake Gaston. Right nice! Sure do need to find a place for a washdown.

Plan on seeing a lot of our new acquaintances at Mayberry campground at the very least. Too many rallies...not enough time!! :( See ya'll soon. Until then we wish you fair winds and following seas.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Bill,

You are a true character and one we are so glad to have met. Now you leave the overtime alone. John's going to be working hard (at whatever he does) to get Queenie her level up!

We will probably see you in Mayberry!

SouthernNights

Hey ya'll,

Kudos to all for two great rallies. Same with us...nice to meet new folks and see the ones we've met before. Too bad you couldn't have stuck around. The wind did actually stop blowing tuesday night and most of wednesday (tho the fog did roll in thick enough for delayed school start times). Wanna ask John Bylinski how do you plow fog???????? :D Don't believe there'd be any overtime associated with that.

We were the last ones to leave Camp Hatteras. Made sure to close the door to keep the wind in that area. :cool: We are now parked in Lake Gaston Campground overlooking Lake Gaston. Right nice! Sure do need to find a place for a washdown.

Plan on seeing a lot of our new acquaintances at Mayberry campground at the very least. Too many rallies...not enough time!! :( See ya'll soon. Until then we wish you fair winds and following seas.

Ha-now I know you tell stories.....

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Hills, if you are on lake Gaston you are in our backyard. Which Campground? Outdoor world? How long you gonna be there?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
:cool: WOW what a rally - great fun and meet lots of new friends. Nathan & I got home late afternoon Sunday after leaving at 4 a.m. (hope we didn't wake anyone up). Let me tell you how many deers there were on the side of the road between Waves and Rocky Mount - about 18 that we could see. Probably much more but I couldn't see their eyes in the headlights. See all of ya'll in Nashville. Also we are hoping and planning to attend the NC rally in October. :eek:

Byrd, -- you two were quiet as Church mice. We were right next door with our bedroom facing you and didn't hear a peep. You all must have tip-toed around the campsite and then pushed the rig and truck down the road so you wouldn't wake us when you started the truck. Great meeting you two and all the others. Carol and I had a blast. Can't wait until I retire next year and we can do more of these.

Sam, -- Thanks for the picture. Hope you sent it to the Ranger cuz I know she wanted one. By the way Larry and Gus, no bribes were used in the making of that weekend....I just left the elf in charge with specific instructions on what everyone should be doing while I was gone. Of course it is made a whole lot easier because I could tell all the elves not to worry about presents for Larry and Pete. They are too bad to even get coal!!!

Thanks to all for an absolutely GREAT weekend.

MrsSouthernNights

Byrd, -- you two were quiet as Church mice. We were right next door with our bedroom facing you and didn't hear a peep. You all must have tip-toed around the campsite and then pushed the rig and truck down the road so you wouldn't wake us when you started the truck. Great meeting you two and all the others. Carol and I had a blast. Can't wait until I retire next year and we can do more of these.

Sam, -- Thanks for the picture. Hope you sent it to the Ranger cuz I know she wanted one. By the way Larry and Gus, no bribes were used in the making of that weekend....I just left the elf in charge with specific instructions on what everyone should be doing while I was gone. Of course it is made a whole lot easier because I could tell all the elves not to worry about presents for Larry and Pete. They are too bad to even get coal!!!

Thanks to all for an absolutely GREAT weekend.

Yea I can hear the elves after you left! PARTY TIME - Larry sent the picture to the Ranger - We are anxiously waiting for the next Rally!
hope to see you there!!!

porthole

Retired
Hey ya'll,

The wind did actually stop blowing Tuesday night and most of Wednesday

Right after we left, eh? Nice meeting you and being neighbors.

We left late Tuesday morning during the heavy rain. It was only wet for about the first 20 miles.
We took the Bay Bridge again and headed up to Indian River State Park in DE. this is a campground right on the inlet to the ocean.

There weren't many people here and we drove around till we picked a spot we liked. $38 a night for W, E, S. Sites are on the small side, I had to disconnect the truck. the spot we picked was just long enough for the trailer.

The state is replacing the bridge which is right at the campground. So I don't know if I would want to be here during the day for any length of time.

The view was nice and it was a 10 minute walk to the beach.

Attachments

• D30_6754_b..JPG
    D30_6754_b..JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 25
  • D30_6752_b..JPG
    D30_6752_b..JPG
    409 KB · Views: 21
  • D30_6756_b..JPG
    D30_6756_b..JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 22

porthole

Retired
From Indian River we headed up the road 18 miles to Cape Henolopen State Park.
Another empty park. Nice wooded sites with "along the road" setups. Again we "picked" our spot. Another friendly ranger who told us just go find a spot you like and come later or tomorrow to settle up.
$32 a night with water only.

Didn't know about the "no generators" until after I shut ours down for the evening. Thought about checking to see if it was for portable only or built in too, but figured "don't ask the question you may not like the answer to".

Clean, big sites with fire rings and attached grates. Didn't even have to pull the grill out to cook dinner.

Nice quiet night and then we headed to the Cape May - Lewes Ferry.

The 3rd picture is Cape Henolopen from the ferry. One of several gun towers from the Big War is in the background.

Attachments

• D30_6769_b..JPG
    D30_6769_b..JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 25
  • D30_6773_b..JPG
    D30_6773_b..JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 23
  • D30_6809_b..JPG
    D30_6809_b..JPG
    489 KB · Views: 26

Hudson

Great event guys

I am sorry I haven't been on the board recently. I have been catching up on everything else pretty much since getting home from the rally.

Gus and everyone else who helped put this rally together did a really great job. I had a lot of fun and I have to admit I really enjoyed getting to sit and watch this one. I am especially glad to have had the spare time to get together with several of the couples I really didn't spend enough time with at the East Coast Luau. There are still at least three couples I wish I'd been able to spend more time with ... but there will be other rallies (such as the Virginia Chapter rally in the Shenandoah Valley the weekend before Labor Day -- hint, hint!)

P.s., yes, the Hills are correct ... the wind vanished on Tuesday ... to be replaced with large mosquitoes ... so the breeze wasn't a bad thing after all.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Great event guys

P.s., yes, the Hills are correct ... the wind vanished on Tuesday ... to be replaced with large mosquitoes ... so the breeze wasn't a bad thing after all.

And everyone wondered why I liked the wind!

Elevatorman

Right after we left, eh? Nice meeting you and being neighbors.

We left late Tuesday morning during the heavy rain. It was only wet for about the first 20 miles.
We took the Bay Bridge again and headed up to Indian River State Park in DE. this is a campground right on the inlet to the ocean.

There weren't many people here and we drove around till we picked a spot we liked. $38 a night for W, E, S. Sites are on the small side, I had to disconnect the truck. the spot we picked was just long enough for the trailer.

The state is replacing the bridge which is right at the campground. So I don't know if I would want to be here during the day for any length of time.

The view was nice and it was a 10 minute walk to the beach.

What a trip down memory lane! Childhood memories of climbing those gun towers, especially down near Indian River. In those days there was nothing but beach and a couple of parking lots. We used to tent camp there. From the look of one of your pictures, they look to be building a highrise bldg. there. It's been a long time since I've been there, but I would have thought they wouldn't build high rises around that area. We used to leave the inlet there to go deep sea fishing. Next trip back home might include the Eastern Shore one more time. Gosh I miss the crab cakes!! Thanks for the pictures!!

porthole

Retired
but I would Harve thought they wouldn't build high rises around that area.

Well since it is in a State Park I don't think you hav o worry about the landscape changing much.
The construction pictures are a new bridge going up.

Apparently the river is scouring out the original bridge piers, exposing the steel to salt water. The locals say the old bridge is sinking and in danger of collapsing (long term)
The new bridge will be a suspension bridge (similar to the one over the canal) The towers you see will be the cable towers. The new bridge is designed to have no structure in the water.

http://deldot.gov/information/projects/indian_river_bridge/pano/index.shtml

The park employee told me this is actually the 2nd bridge being constructed. With the first one having so many problems that new contractors were brought in, the old-new bridge being removed and starting fresh.

I searched for info on that but come up with nothing but dead links.

Status
Not open for further replies.