EZ Flex Equalizer Failure

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
Pulling out of St Joe, MO, Oct 10, 2014, we were driving up the on ramp to westbound US 36 when I noticed blue smoke rolling from the left side of the "Clone". Immediately pulled over and found that the front and center tires were rubbing. Further noticed that both front EZ Flex equalizers had broken 'ears' (piece that rides against the rubber puck), which allowed the front axle to shift back, which allowed the tires to rub.

We called Good Sam Roadside, and they sent Ron from Osborn Automotive to help us out. Ron looked the problem over and whittled some wood down to fit between the frame and spring ends, separating the axles/wheels enough to let us limp off the road and back to their yard. After we got there, I contacted Dexter and explained the problem. Jim Miller from Dexter, who was great to work with, advised that sometimes the shackle links can get inverted, putting undue pressure on the equalizers and causing them to break. He thought this was especially true since both sides had broken, in the same place, apparently at the same time.

(We had stayed at Beacon RV the previous night, and the lot was pretty uneven, i.e., low in front; so my best guess is that when we leveled out the trailer, the front axle hung low enough for the shackle links to invert, the spring ends hammered the EZ Flex ears, etc.)

Jim Miller then said he'd try to track down replacement parts and would get back with us. He did and said he couldn't find EZ Flex parts anywhere near us, but did find stock equalizers at AA Wheel and Truck Supply in North Kansas City. The stock parts would allow us to get back on the road until we could get the EZ Flex.

This all started on a Friday morning, about 0900, so by the time Jim found the parts, it was too late to go to North KC. Osborn Automotive let us spend the night and plug into their 115v, so we had pretty much everything we needed, food, heat, etc. (Matter of fact, it was downright pleasant, almost like boon docking out in the middle of nowhere.)

Saturday morning I headed for AA Wheel & Truck, obtained the parts and headed back to Osborn. Luckily Ron was working on Saturday anyway and together we got the stabilizers installed and were back on the road by 1:30 Saturday afternoon (with five new tires - but that's another story/post).

Kudos to Jim Miller of Dexter, and to Ron and Kevin (owner) of Osborn Automotive! They all helped us - on Friday and Saturday - to get fixed and back on the road.

Lesson learned here was to regularly check the shackle link config, ensuring the links point 'up' from the equalizer to the end of the spring, both between front and center axle and between center and rear axle (which should look sorta like a 'W'). We do this before pulling out from any stop, as part of the 'walk around'.

PALTeam

If you had discovered the problem before leaving, what would you have to do to fix the inversion?

Matter of fact, after replacing the front equalizers, which took a bit of effort with the Lippert to raise the coach and a floor jack (under the springs!) to stabilize/fit up the front and center axles, Ron & I noticed that the rear axle had become inverted. After lifting the Clone with the Lippert and messing around unsuccessfully with just a heavy duty pry bar, Ron had to remove a rear spring bolt in order to get enough play in the rear axle to re-invert the shackle links. Then it was a matter of holding the axle in place with a floor jack long enough to get the bolt back in. Don't think we could have done it with less than two people and a lot of grunts and groans.

Jim from Dexter seemed to think it would take a 9" drop to get an axle to invert. I'm thinking less, but combined with a weirdly sloped lot, or maybe a heck of a bump at speed. Of the many different possibilities - lot slope, road conditions, speed, etc - who knows for sure?

Jim.Allison

I have a small utility trailer that does this frequently. It is impossible to make it right until I load it, or pull it on a mildly rough road, then the spring will right itself. I can only imagine what it would take to get a fiver to flip back.

scottyb

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I have noticed cracks in the rubber bushing (puck) on mine. I wasn't sure if it is natural or not. I try really hard to minimize sharp turns and hard cuts as much as possible. They really sound like they are straining when you do. My experience with Dexter on a different matter was equal to yours.

PALTeam

Jim A; most interesting. Dual axle, correct? Thinking through, I can see how it could happen with bouncing empty, then with a load it reverts to a more 'natural' position. So, yeah, how does an always heavy fiver get goofed up? It'll probably never happen again, until I forget to check it ...

Last edited:

PALTeam

wdk450, what do you think about MoRyde vs Dexter air ride? Can't say I've heard much about MoRyde, but the Dexter seems popular.

ScottyB, I thought the pucks could be replaced?

Jim.Allison

yea its a tandem, but it happens when least expected and has little to do with loading, infact loading helps correct it. I have never inspected it, I neglect the little trailer, I forget about it until I need it, but I suspect that the shackles are worn out and its possible that the mounting hardware may not be located as precise as it should be. But similar to your fiver, I notice the problem when inclines are present. But you ahve it fixed now so no worries.

Jim A; most interesting. Dual axle, correct? Thinking through, I can see how it could happen with bouncing empty, then with a load it reverts to a more 'natural' position. So, yeah, how does an always heavy fiver get goofed up? It'll probably never happen again, until I forget to check it ...

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I have noticed cracks in the rubber bushing (puck) on mine. I wasn't sure if it is natural or not. I try really hard to minimize sharp turns and hard cuts as much as possible. They really sound like they are straining when you do. My experience with Dexter on a different matter was equal to yours.
I had noticed cracking in the rubber on a couple of the equalizers on our rig. Dexter said they had experienced some bad rubber and offered replacements.