F-150 with 3.5L eco boost V6 for a travel trailer TV

MountainDon

Hello All,

I am sure this post will bring a lot of doubt in the community since there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in hand ton pickup towing,BUT I am in the market for a new truck and in my research I came across this vehicle.

3.5l eco boost engine with ( 6 0r 10 ) speed transmission max tow package, etc - 395 HP@5000rpm 470 ft-lbs torque @ 3500 rpm
GVW up to 7600lbs ( payload around 2500 lbs
MCVWR 16,500 to 17000 lbs ( and more ) for towing capacity ( as per ford ) in the config that would work for me of nearly 12000 lbs

Sounds like voodoo, but I talked to a guy who was towing his trailer over I-70 (11,000') and said it was the best tow vehicle he had ever used.

Soooo any on towing with one of these? I am interested in your experience, MPG while towing, How heavy you are towing, etc

I have a North trail 21FBS - about 7000 GVWR

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

ram22

No but I tow my North Trail 22FBS (GVWR 6,900) with a '15 Ram 1500 with 3.0L ecoDiesel and 8-speed trans. Tows great, only wish I got air bag option. Might install my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainDon

Do you have to tow steep grades or higher elevations?

I guess one thing I forgot to ask in my previous post was what 1500 type truck do people have and like.

This will be a daily driver for me so I need the best MPG I can get ( in a GOOD tow vehicle )

d

ram22

I live in NorCal so yes some mountain towing. Also, it's my only vehicle so great utility and commuting comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kf5qby

Since the eco-boost is a turbo charged engine, it is not effected by altitude like a normally aspirated engine. You will maintain the power output all the way up the mountain. I have an older version of your trailer and the Ford should not have any issues pulling it.

rhodies1

Hello All,

I am sure this post will bring a lot of doubt in the community since there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in hand ton pickup towing,BUT I am in the market for a new truck and in my research I came across this vehicle.

3.5l eco boost engine with ( 6 0r 10 ) speed transmission max tow package, etc - 395 HP@5000rpm 470 ft-lbs torque @ 3500 rpm
GVW up to 7600lbs ( payload around 2500 lbs
MCVWR 16,500 to 17000 lbs ( and more ) for towing capacity ( as per ford ) in the config that would work for me of nearly 12000 lbs

Sounds like voodoo, but I talked to a guy who was towing his trailer over I-70 (11,000') and said it was the best tow vehicle he had ever used.

Soooo any on towing with one of these? I am interested in your experience, MPG while towing, How heavy you are towing, etc

I have a North trail 21FBS - about 7000 GVWR

Thanks in advance

These new 3.5 eco boost are a power plant,you will happy......Friends have one and it pulls like a work horse.
This engine has proven itself and that’s why Ford has just put it into their Raptor,it replaced the 8 cylinder engine and is stronger and faster than the 8 cyl.

Like any engine,when you are coming to a steep grade ,speed up in order to prevent the engine from kicking down your tranny to a lower gear which equates to higher rpms and lower fuel mileage.
Freinds have a 14 model and tow a 26 ft Rockwood TT with no issues.Their dry weight on the trailer is 5100 lbs,

justafordguy

Many, Many people tow heavy Travel Trailers with the F150 3.5 EcoBoost trucks. If ordered with the towing/payload packages and the right gears you would be very happy with one as a tow vehicle and daily driver. My Brother tows a 8000lb TT with his 2016 F150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost and 3.73 gears and it tows awesome. It also gets over 20 MPG easily when daily driving.

MountainDon

Thanks all for the input!

When I looked at the horsepower and torque numbers for the 3.5l - I was blown away, except for the higher RPM they were so close to what the 7.3l diesel had in my 2000 f250 super duty

I always prefer real world experience to numbers however

Thanks

Kinguni

I tow a Prowler Lynx 285 lx (6700 dry, 9000 gvw) with a 2013 EcoBoost which is far more trailer than yours. Average anywhere from 7 to 9 average mpg depending on winds. A couple of steep mountain passes proved challenging. Your TT is lighter and more aerodynamic. With the current 3.5 l EcoBoost you won't even know it's back there and you should see far better fuel economy than me. The 2.7 EcoBooost would be more than enough, but that new 3.5 is a beast.

WhipCream

I agree with the other posters. That trailer is tailor made for a half ton. And you'll have one of the most capable ones so you'll love it. Power curves don't lie. My 5.4 has torque very similar to our previous 1989 f250 with the 7.3 and it tows quite similarly. Anyways, a good towing experience nowadays is more about heavy enough chassis, suspension, and brakes than engine power.

Wayner197

I just traded in my F150 with a 2.7 EcoBoost in for a F350 SRW 4X4 Diesel. The F150 pulled my 31 ft Mallard TT without issues (plenty of power), however, it seemed to push the truck around a bit with winds, semi wind push, etc. The power was NOT the issue, the stability was my reasoning for upgrading my rig. The M28 weighs somewhere @ 7,500 lb and while pulling I was getting about 9 - 10mpg.