Factory brake controller vs aftermarket

MIKEGELLO

Hello everyone
I recently upgraded my tow vehicle to a 2018 Silverado 3500 srw. Can anyone tell me if their happy with the factory controller? I had a Tekonsha p3 in my 04 gmc and loved it! I also recently converted my landmark to disc brakes. My real question is ... does anyone know if the factory brake controllers in the new Chevy/ gmc do any thing with the transmission shifting strategy or not? I’d personally rather run my Tekonsha vs the factory controller, I really liked the way it stopped the trailer with the boost feature! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lynn1130

My factory works fine and is equal or better than the add-on in previous trucks. Why complicate your trucks system, and possible cause a conflict that is not necessary?

mlpeloquin

The factory controller is smooth. One problem of safety to note about factory break controllers, they are integrated fully with the entire trucks breaking system. If, such as the anti lock break controller system fails, the trucks breaks are not anti lock and the break controller stops functioning. So down a steep grade in the rain it fails well the fun begins. A small chance, but... A big law suit waiting to happen for one or more of the big three some day. You would think that they would be smarter than that at safety. Why design them to turn of the break controller at all with any problem?

Desertsky

We just upgraded from a 2004 Avalance with the Tekonsha P2 to a 2017 Silverado 2500 HD High Country with the Duramax. I have to say that the new factory controller is miles better than the Tekonsha we had. Seems like I was always searching for the perfect setting where I could get good braking fast and slow. I never found it with the Tekonsha. With the factory controller, it took a couple of brake applications and it is set. Much smoother and much more braking power without the wheel locking at slow speeds.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Hello everyone
. does anyone know if the factory brake controllers in the new Chevy/ gmc do any thing with the transmission shifting strategy or not?
Thanks
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The factory brake controller does not change the transmission shift points. However by turning on the Tow/Haul mode will change the shift points for the transmission and also downshift the transmission when braking. Also by engaging the exhaust brake will also assist when braking and descending hills. I always use Tow/Haul mode and the exhaust brake when towing.