Factory or RV Dealer Repair?

lcwooda

Hi,
I need some advice, please. We are fairly new owners, a little over a year. We have a 2018 Big Horn Traveler. Recently we had a small electrical problem and brought it to our local RV repair shop. In the process of troubleshooting the problem, they found that one of the slide rollers for the TV slide out was never installed. Hmmm. We are still under our extended warranty at this point, and after calling Heartland, we found that 6 out of 6 Service centers that they gave us, do not repair Heartland RVs. Our local place doesn't really want to do that big job, so they suggested taking it back to the factory to get it repaired. We live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and bought the 5th wheel in Bath, NY, a 6 hour drive. My question is should we bring it back to the place of sale, or is it a better idea to bring it to the factory? Has anyone brought your rig back to the factory to get repaired? Driving distance is not really an issue. Thank you.

danemayer

Hi lcwooda,

Welcome to the posting side of the forum.

I've had our rig at the factory and they do very good work. But they are selective and mostly do repairs that are beyond local dealer capabilities. So you'll have to have a discussion to see if they'll do the work on yours and when they can fit you in. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

2PawsRiver

I have limited experience, call and email the factory first and be prepared to send pics and documentation.....they want pictures of everything.

NYSUPstater

We bought our BC in OH and after a couple months, we noticed a problem w/ outside trim coming off w/ slide in. A new BC dealer opened up in my backyard after we bought it. Although the dealer isn't brand new per se, it was however new "again" in our area and have sister dealers near Bath and Rochester(?). Anyways, spoke to the new dealer and 1st thing they asked me was if I bought it from them. Seeing I didn't, they gave me a song/dance routine about how NYS hasn't granted them a repair license tho they can fix only what they sell, so no they "couldn't/wouldn't" touch it WTH? Mind you my repair is under warranty. So went across the street to a "new" BH dealer who happens to have sister shops in Bath & Rochester. They took pics/contacted HL after I brought it in, made a temp repair and ended up taking it to their Rochester shop (1.25 hr away) for permanent fix, cuz local shop couldn't handle large coach. Although it wasn't the purchasing dealer, they did repair it and cost me 5 hours drive time plus tolls.

IMO, contact dealer, tell them your problem and see if by chance they can recommend someplace by you or if last resort, bring back to them and possibly see too if they can do something to offset/compensate you for your travels. Long shot, but worth a try. Even if just some $$ off supplies/accy's, lil goes a long way in retaining your business. Perhaps a free night at Hickory Hill campground which is nearby.

donr827

Since the slide roller was never installed I would take it back to the factory. Has the slide been operating properly? Did your mechanic tell you which roller was missing?
Don

lcwooda

We bought our BC in OH and after a couple months, we noticed a problem w/ outside trim coming off w/ slide in. A new BC dealer opened up in my backyard after we bought it. Although the dealer isn't brand new per se, it was however new "again" in our area and have sister dealers near Bath and Rochester(?). Anyways, spoke to the new dealer and 1st thing they asked me was if I bought it from them. Seeing I didn't, they gave me a song/dance routine about how NYS hasn't granted them a repair license tho they can fix only what they sell, so no they "couldn't/wouldn't" touch it WTH? Mind you my repair is under warranty. So went across the street to a "new" BH dealer who happens to have sister shops in Bath & Rochester. They took pics/contacted HL after I brought it in, made a temp repair and ended up taking it to their Rochester shop (1.25 hr away) for permanent fix, cuz local shop couldn't handle large coach. Although it wasn't the purchasing dealer, they did repair it and cost me 5 hours drive time plus tolls.

IMO, contact dealer, tell them your problem and see if by chance they can recommend someplace by you or if last resort, bring back to them and possibly see too if they can do something to offset/compensate you for your travels. Long shot, but worth a try. Even if just some $$ off supplies/accy's, lil goes a long way in retaining your business. Perhaps a free night at Hickory Hill campground which is nearby.

Thanks! It seems like lots of dealers shy away from repairs! But I think I will call up the Wilkins in Bath and see what they say.

lcwooda

Since the slide roller was never installed I would take it back to the factory. Has the slide been operating properly? Did your mechanic tell you which roller was missing?
Don

Being new, we figured the sounds that the slides make are normal. And yes, it operates properly....for now. It's one of the rollers in the TV slide out. That's all I know.

pegmikef

Another route is to look for an independent RV Repair shop in your area. Heartland Service will work with independent repair shops and honor the warranty, but you have to get prior approval before the work can be done. Basically, they will want an estimate from the repair shop before they will approve it. One problem is is that most dealers are primarily in business to sell trailers and repair is secondary, so a lot of them have understaffed and undertalented shops and the wait time is often long. Independent repair shops are in business to fix trailers and that is their primary income stream. There are usually one or two of these in populated areas.

Snow

Darn I hate to sound negative all the time but it seems like it never ends its not only Heartland I’ve heard stories of others as well but it’s a darn shame that these dealers won’t step up and take care of this situation in a timely manner you’ve already spent so much time running here and there and still haven’t got it fixed yet,how do you forget to put a slide roller in ? I know it’s a lot of parts,wiring,plumbing,ETC but its not getting any better I just read on another forum where they didn’t cut the ceiling out for the air conditioner, but just like me we will keep buying these RVs and fixing as much as we can ourselves so these companies can stay in business and keep production up , yeah I’m done venting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk