Failed screws on exterior ladder

Dennyha

Two weeks ago, we were using our 2015 Cyclone. I was going up onto the roof to clean the vent covers, and as I was climbing the side ladder, one of the brackets pulled away from the side wall. All four of the screws were broken about a 1/4” below the head.
After coming home, I decided to pull some of the screws from the other 5 brackets. Bottom line is that 12 of the 24 screws were broken. This was an accident waiting to happen. With 12 of the holes having broken screws in them, I decided to redrill holes just to the right of the original holes. See picture below. I bought No. 12 screws, 1-1/2” made from stainless steel from Lowe’s. I still can’t believe they didn’t use stainless steel screws for something as critical as ladder screws. It cost me about $15, and it probably would have cost them half of that.
Anyway, I filled all of the holes with clear Dicor to seal them, and reapplied the ladder with the stainless screws. After the ladder was attached, I caulked the perimeter of the bracket bases with the Dicor. I’m happy with the repair, but disappointed that it was necessary.
I thought I’d post this to alert everyone with a ladder to check their ladder screws.
A2048C7E-3286-4D38-8ADB-29100F6EA746.jpgF901BC16-3431-429D-BB2A-441CC30DD007.jpeg

Attachments

• 22181E0E-4D0F-4A5E-8742-7780D2D13908.jpeg
    22181E0E-4D0F-4A5E-8742-7780D2D13908.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 83

Dmetcalf

Two weeks ago, we were using our 2015 Cyclone. I was going up onto the roof to clean the vent covers, and as I was climbing the side ladder, one of the brackets pulled away from the side wall. All four of the screws were broken about a 1/4” below the head.
After coming home, I decided to pull some of the screws from the other 5 brackets. Bottom line is that 12 of the 24 screws were broken. This was an accident waiting to happen. With 12 of the holes having broken screws in them, I decided to redrill holes just to the right of the original holes. See picture below. I bought No. 12 screws, 1-1/2” made from stainless steel from Lowe’s. I still can’t believe they didn’t use stainless steel screws for something as critical as ladder screws. It cost me about $15, and it probably would have cost them half of that.
Anyway, I filled all of the holes with clear Dicor to seal them, and reapplied the ladder with the stainless screws. After the ladder was attached, I caulked the perimeter of the bracket bases with the Dicor. I’m happy with the repair, but disappointed that it was necessary.
I thought I’d post this to alert everyone with a ladder to check their ladder screws.
View attachment 64014View attachment 64013

Thank for the heads up. I’ll be checking mine today. Glad you didn’t get hurt.

donr827

I also recommend that owners check the tightness of all outside screws. When I took delivery of my trailer years ago I walked around and tightened around 20 screws by hand. It presumed that their tool was not set to recommended tightness. Every year after that I would check the screws after rumbling down our highways.

TajMyhaul

Glad you were safe & solved this problem. I too had a couple broken like you mentioned & replaced/repaired. However I never use it, instead I carry a little giant folding ladder to access roof. I use the RV ladder at top to keep little giant ladder from sliding of to the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Personally the ladders on the last three fivers I have owned, are just external decoration for me. Maybe strong enough to hand some laundry on? They are bolted on with like 10-24 little bolts to hardly anything substantial. And the plastic spacers, and extensions they use in conjunction with the bolts, is sure to be brittle after a year or two of UV exposure.

I wouldnt use the oem ladder to save me. Maybe my 110lb wife might be able to use the it, but theres no way I ever could. I use an extension ladder to access the roof when needed.

'Lil Guy'

Personally the ladders on the last three fivers I have owned, are just external decoration for me. Maybe strong enough to hand some laundry on? They are bolted on with like 10-24 little bolts to hardly anything substantial. And the plastic spacers, and extensions they use in conjunction with the bolts, is sure to be brittle after a year or two of UV exposure.

I wouldnt use the oem ladder to save me. Maybe my 110lb wife might be able to use the it, but theres no way I ever could. I use an extension ladder to access the roof when needed.[/QUO

I'm wdith you.. Just a decoration. I use an extension ladder. One that collapses and holds 350lBs. Don't like the idea of it tugging on the rear cap or roof.

macjj

View attachment 64014View attachment 64013[/

I had a similar issue some years back (mine is a 2012), but what I found concerned me more than broken heads. And this issue is with all the installed ladders. It was no wonder the manufacturer recommended not to use them. All that holds your weight is about .002 of the sheer capability of each screw. The plastic does little more than stop the head from passing thru the outside tube. The hole on the inside is about 2x the screw diameter (or more). I had 1/2in aluminum rods, killed down to pass thru the inner holes and drilled out for a self taping screw. The rods were long enough to pass through each step. It was a lot of work, but 500% better support. Subsequent to that the mounting supports started to give way. So the best alternative is an expandable ladder to carry along. I weigh about 225 lbs. good luck

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Those ladders are decorative only.

Using them is an accident just waiting to happen.

A more useful option from the factory would be a factory mounted clothes rack! :confused:

Dmetcalf

I also recommend that owners check the tightness of all outside screws. When I took delivery of my trailer years ago I walked around and tightened around 20 screws by hand. It presumed that their tool was not set to recommended tightness. Every year after that I would check the screws after rumbling down our highways.

I agree with this... I do the same ...

garyroee

I use Ohuhu Telescopic Extension Ladder .A sturdy ladder like this one from Ohuhu provided a safe way for me to do all my chores in hard-to-reach areas, particularly on my camper van. It can help me washing my roof and repairs something in that. It really convenient for me!

Last edited:

MTPockets

I ordered an extra set of the ladder stand-off supports from Heartland. My ladder was much stronger and more rigid after adding those. Also installed SS screws...

Last edited: