Fair weather A/C

DruidZ

have a 2010 Landmark with a single A/C unit. I believe that it is 15,000BTU. Lately we have hit a heat wave (mid nineties) and the unit runs continuously. However, the unit never cools down to a comfortable level.

My neighbours here have units that also run continuously but at least it gets comfortable for them. Even units with dual A/C only run one because we are stuck with 30A in this campground.

I have talked to a number of people who tell me that A/C is not expected to work well when the weather gets hot. That blew me away. That's exactly when you need it.

Am I expecting too much for an A/C unit to actually keep us cool in hot weather?

jbeletti

I believe the rule of thumb is the AC will cool about 20 degrees below the outside temperature. Are you getting this level of cooling or even close? If not, could be time to have the unit looked at.

Can you hold a portable thermometer up next to one of the outputs to measure the temp coming out of the unit?

Might also want to shut that one off and try the second unit just to see how it does.

DruidZ

I believe the rule of thumb is the AC will cool about 20 degrees below the outside temperature. Are you getting this level of cooling or even close? If not, could be time to have the unit looked at.

Even pros are telling me that it is normal. Perhaps they think I am simply exaggerating the temp.

Can you hold a portable thermometer up next to one of the outputs to measure the temp coming out of the unit?

I need to buy a thermometer today but I can feel cool air coming out. I just expected it to be much colder. It's probably colder than what a fan would feel like but not much more.

Might also want to shut that one off and try the second unit just to see how it does.

I only have the one.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

1 AC unit for that big of a rig is just not enough. 2 will get the job done but they will work all the time when in the triple didgets. 3 AC units is the best way to go when you have a large RV. I can keep out rig in the low 70's when it's pushing 107 to 110 outside.
Also you should be able to run 2 AC's on 30amp service. I've never had any problem doing that in the past.

My 2 cents
Jerrod

danemayer

If you get an infrared temperature gun, you'll probably find the air coming out of the ceiling is cold, but there may not be enough cold air produced to cool a large RV. That's especially true when there's significant heat load on the windows and slide walls from direct sun.

I've measured the temp on ours before and was surprised at how cold it was. But as the sun heats up the trailer, it's a tough battle.

DruidZ

If you get an infrared temperature gun, you'll probably find the air coming out of the ceiling is cold, but there may not be enough cold air produced to cool a large RV. That's especially true when there's significant heat load on the windows and slide walls from direct sun.

I've measured the temp on ours before and was surprised at how cold it was. But as the sun heats up the trailer, it's a tough battle.

I think I am going to install a second unit. I worry about when we are in AZ and TX this winter. It will probably hit those high temperatures a lot more and one probably won't cut it.

Assuming that a brand new unit will probably be more efficient anyway I think I will move the existing one into the bedroom and install the new one in the main area.

DruidZ

Try using auxiliary fans to help circulate the cold air.

We do have a ceiling fan in the living room which I can try. I also bought a Honeywell floor fan which I can use. I bought it because sometimes it seems as if it is cooler outside than in even with the A/C on so pushing the air in from outside might actually be better than running the A/C. Not during a heat wave of course.

Kathi-27

I have found that running ceiling fan with a/c is worse than leaving it off. the fan hinders the air flow with the supply and return both under the fan. had t-stat in living room checked with on and off. cooler and a/c didn't run as long with off. only run ceiling fan with heat on. if your furnace return air is down low you need to block it off so cool air doesn't go into basement area.

CoveredWagon

We do have a ceiling fan in the living room which I can try. I also bought a Honeywell floor fan which I can use. I bought it because sometimes it seems as if it is cooler outside than in even with the A/C on so pushing the air in from outside might actually be better than running the A/C. Not during a heat wave of course.

We have a ceiling fan also. All I can say about it is that I looks impressive to company. It really does very little if that much. Try the floor fan. We got into a situation where we could not use the ac and it was DARN hot. Set a small fan on the kitchen island and it made it bearable . Good luck.