Feedback on Andersen fifth wheel hitches

Coachrkr

Hi there! I’m looking for feedback from folks who have towing their fifth wheel with an Andersen fifth wheel hitch. Your pros and cons…any significant problems or issues?

Bogie

I have been using and Anderson hitch for four years now with zero issues. IMHO it's far easier to hitch and unhitch than a standard jaw hitch. Especially on uneven ground or when the truck is not straight. Also, the fact that it's so light, you can easily move it in and out of the truck. With my old hitch, I had to back the truck into the garage and use a come-a-long to lift the hitch out. Some folks don't like them because they are made of aluminum. All I can say is ever fly in an airplane?

The only disadvantage I can think of is you will probably have to install safety chains also. As the Anderson is considered a ball type hitch, safety chains are required in many states. California is one of those. It's not really an issue, just an extra step. You can check with Anderson on this issue. BTW....When I was researching this hitch before buying, it was easy to reach someone at Anderson to ask questions.

Bottom line...I'm a fan.

Coachrkr

I have been using and Anderson hitch for four years now with zero issues. IMHO it's far easier to hitch and unhitch than a standard jaw hitch. Especially on uneven ground or when the truck is not straight. Also, the fact that it's so light, you can easily move it in and out of the truck. With my old hitch, I had to back the truck into the garage and use a come-a-long to lift the hitch out. Some folks don't like them because they are made of aluminum. All I can say is ever fly in an airplane?

The only disadvantage I can think of is you will probably have to install safety chains also. As the Anderson is considered a ball type hitch, safety chains are required in many states. California is one of those. It's not really an issue, just an extra step. You can check with Anderson on this issue. BTW....When I was researching this hitch before buying, it was easy to reach someone at Anderson to ask questions.

Bottom line...I'm a fan.
Thank you for the feedback! A friend and I just installed the Andersen hitch with a turnover ball in my RAM 2500, picking up my 2016 Bighorn in the next week or two.

rhodies1

I used to use a conventional Reese Titan Hitch but when I purchased my new tow vehicle ,I switched to a B&W conventional hitch.The B&W is so much better and I wouldn’t change back.
Take a look at the B&W ,it’s 2 pc and a conventional hitch but I can take it apart lift it in and out by myself.Great quality .

danemayer

Do a quick Google search and you can decide for yourself

As a Fire Fighter in the Ozarks on Table Rock Lake, I have worked 2 MVA's were the Anderson failed
Were the 2 MVAs you worked where the Anderson failed caused by the Andersen failure, or was the Andersen failure caused by the accident? Seems like you're implying the Andersen hitch caused the accident. Is that the case? Seems like there would be a world of difference between the 2 possibilities.

Btw, as I read through the information in the three links, I don't see any disqualifying information. The one titled "Safety Issues" doesn't really seem to cite any safety issues. The one dealing with warranty complications is a question that's been around for quite a while.

I don't have a horse in the race here, but I think we've heard over the years from quite a few owners who are very happy with their Andersen hitches and I don't recall any firsthand complaints.

Bogie

Were the 2 MVAs you worked where the Anderson failed caused by the Andersen failure, or was the Andersen failure caused by the accident? Seems like you're implying the Andersen hitch caused the accident. Is that the case? Seems like there would be a world of difference between the 2 possibilities.

Btw, as I read through the information in the three links, I don't see any disqualifying information. The one titled "Safety Issues" doesn't really seem to cite any safety issues. The one dealing with warranty complications is a question that's been around for quite a while.
Ditto.

Also, reading through the "No more Anderson for me", the attachment, the OP provides is a letter from Keystone saying Liippert is disavowing warranty damage. If you read it carefully, it's talking about the Anderson Gooseneck adapter. Not the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. Also, did a search of the Lippert web site and was unable to verify this exception to their warranty.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I'm sure if you look you'll find as many problems with all hitches. The Anderson is great. I have over 40K miles on mine pulling a trailer that weighs 24K.

Coachrkr

Bottom line...I'm a fan.
Thank you for your input

thewanderingeight

When I bought our truck, there was a tow ball that I couldn't remove so the Anderson was a happy coincidence as it was the only thing that was in stock locally. I have never used a traditional 5th wheel hitch, so I can't make a direct comparison, but I like the Anderson and have no complaints about how it feels while towing. It's also extremely easy to unhook if you end up finishing at an odd angle, and since I can see the ball through my back window, I can usually get it to spot on the first or second try with my wife helping guide me for the final touches.

My only complaint is that it needs to be adjusted as it seems to swivel slightly after a while. The red piece attached to the 5th wheel never moves, just the piece in the bed of the truck. There is a mat you can buy that is supposed to help prevent this, but it really doesn't happen that often. It's only 3 bolts total and it takes less than 10min to fix. I really like having the option of easily removing the hitch from the bed of the truck.

scayne62

I bought the anderso nwhen we got our torque a couple years ago after reading how everyone loved them. THe weight of it was a bog selling point for me. I love how smooth it is and easy to hook up. If I had to have a complaint is that when backing into or driving through uneven ground the fifth wheel can lean over enough to tough the bed rails or in my case bed cover. thankfully it only put a small mark in the front cap and did not damage the bed cover somehow. I have not owned a standard fifth wheel hotch but do not ever see a need to. My dealer makes me take the adapter off when I go in for service because they cannot figure out it is nothing more than a gooseneck ball that they can pick up with their adapter they move trailers around with.

Dan54

When I bought our truck, there was a tow ball that I couldn't remove so the Anderson was a happy coincidence as it was the only thing that was in stock locally. I have never used a traditional 5th wheel hitch, so I can't make a direct comparison, but I like the Anderson and have no complaints about how it feels while towing. It's also extremely easy to unhook if you end up finishing at an odd angle, and since I can see the ball through my back window, I can usually get it to spot on the first or second try with my wife helping guide me for the final touches.

My only complaint is that it needs to be adjusted as it seems to swivel slightly after a while. The red piece attached to the 5th wheel never moves, just the piece in the bed of the truck. There is a mat you can buy that is supposed to help prevent this, but it really doesn't happen that often. It's only 3 bolts total and it takes less than 10min to fix. I really like having the option of easily removing the hitch from the bed of the truck.

To deal with the swiveling problem that we also discovered on our shakedown trip I purchased an aftermarket bed mat. I cut a hole in it with a hole saw for the goose ball & we’ve used it for over four years now & I’m happy to say it has eliminated the problem. When not in use I roll the mat up & store it in favor of the heavier (& hole-less) factory mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogie

I have a Bedrug in my bed. Works great. The Bedrug is made to match groves in the bed, so it fits perfectly and can't move around. Also, it's made of a polypropylene composite, so it can stay in the bed all the time and isn't bothered by weather. Just need to note that on recommendation from Anderson, each time the hitch is re-installed in the bed after being removed, you need to put the weight of the trailer on the hitch to compress the hitch into the BedRug and then re-torque it down. It does compress, but very little.