Fifth Wheel Capable????

kimbashaw

I own a half ton 2012 Silverado, 5.3 Litre, 3.42 Rear end with towing package crew cab 4x4. I am a newbie and was wondering if this would pull some of the new Lite/XLite fifth wheels. It would only be myself and my wife for the most part. Any advice would be appreciated, for example max loaded weight of the fifth wheel this would be capable of towing, if any. I know a 3/4 or full ton truck would be better, but it isnt an option right now. Thank You.

Specs for my truck:
Trailering & Payload Vortec 5.3L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI FlexFuel engine 4WD Vortec 5.3L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI FlexFuel engine 4WD
Curb Weight 5288 lbs 5288 lbs
Max Payload 1712 lbs 1712 lbs
GVWR 7000 lbs 7000 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering, 3.08 Rear Axle 6700 lbs 6700 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering, 3.23 Rear Axle N/A N/A
Max Conventional Trailering, 3.42 Rear Axle 9500 lbs 9500 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering, 3.73 Rear Axle N/A N/A
GCWR, 3.08 Rear Axle 12200 lbs 12200 lbs
GCWR, 3.23 Rear Axle N/A N/A
GCWR, 3.42 Rear Axle 15000 lbs 15000 lbs
GCWR, 3.73 Rear Axle N/A N/A
Spring Axle Capacity Vortec 5.3L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI FlexFuel engine 4WD Vortec 5.3L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI FlexFuel engine 4WD
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 3950 lbs 3950 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 3950 lbs 3950 lbs

danemayer

Re: Fifthe Wheel Capable????

Hi kimbashaw,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of helpful and friendly people. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of feedback.

One thing I'd note is that your truck payload is 1712#. After subtracting weight of people, tools, hitch, you'll maybe have 1000-1200 left for pin weight. That's not a lot for a 5th wheel. It might help to know what light weight unit you're thinking about.

DW_Gray

Interesting. I just met a man yesterday that purchased a 5th wheel and the dealer convinced him that his half ton could tow it. After the second rear end broke down, he realized he needed a bigger truck. Looking at those numbers, if you can find a fifth wheel you can tow with your 1/2 ton, please let me know. Check out the Before You Buy RV app to assist you. I thank you'd be better off with a light travel trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Your specs do not list what the 5th wheel ratings are. I know all my Chevy 2500's did in the owners manual. Maybe you can call your dealer and ask if they know what it is. What ever it is it wont be much.

GOTTOYS

There is a big difference between what it can pull and what it can haul. The pin weight on a fifth wheel is the killer for most trucks. Like others have said, by the time you add in the weight of the driver and passengers, fuel and any additional cargo there just isn't anything left to haul the trailer...Don

kimbashaw

Thank you for all your replies....I will be checking out the info before I do anything. I was afraid a dealer would try to talk me into something that wouldn't work out

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

We have a 2011 XLT 29RE. We had it on the scales when we first took it out. Loaded to go camping, full propane, nothing in the tanks. We came in at 8800lb. With a pin weight around 1600lb. We have since loaded more "stuff" in the compartments, so the numbers will be slightly higher. They do make several models smaller and lighter. We know a couple with a 24RL. The number show under 7000lb weight and under 1200lb pin. That is dry weight. Very nice unit. I will say that Heartland makes a very nice ultra light fifth wheel. We have been well pleased with ours. Good luck!!

berky

I have the 2012 trailering guide on my website, go to page 9:
http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/2012_Trailering_Guide.pdf
Notice there's no entry for a crew cab. I had a 2010 Silverado 1500 crew cab and IIRC the manual simply said "Not recommended for fifth wheel trailers". So even if you do find a fifth wheel within the apparent weight limits, you'll be on your own as far as any warranty or liability goes.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

It just accured to me. How long is the bed of your truck? Some of the newer 1500's had a real short box. I know where a great 07 2500HD is and its rated for a 15200# fiver and its a pullin fool. But you have to come to California to get it.