Filling fresh water tank

pitch black

this is my 4th time filling tank, until now never had a problem, it got about 1/3 full and wouldnt take any more water. any ideas?

Uncle Rog

pb, what does the panel show? If it says the tank is full there is a chance that the tank was not empty............

ckc1685

I'm not sure if this is your situation or not but it might apply:

I have a NorthTrail 28BHS and have noticed that everytime I fill the fresh water tank I had to keep the fill hose held tightly in the inlet or the water would come back at me (not through the overflow but through the inlet line). When I was winterizing I noticed that the fresh water tank fill pipe comes in the camper, goes up and over a furnace distribution duct, then down into the tank. I'm planning on relocating the tank fill pipe under the furnace distribution duct in the spring. This has been frustrating because I don't want to overfill the tank but it has been very hard to tell when it is actually full. With our previous pop up I would fill without having to have the fill hose held in the inlet and could easily tell by the overflow when the tank was full.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

PUG

Pug
There Are Several Posts About Venting The Storage Tank. Mine Was Doing The Same Thing. I Take A Short Hose And Hold It Over The Vent In The Utility Compartment And Blow. It Blows Any Water Out Of The Line That Is Laying In The Low Spots. Once Blown Out It Will Fill All The Way Up.

kampfirekid

...When I was winterizing I noticed that the fresh water tank fill pipe comes in the camper, goes up and over a furnace distribution duct, then down into the tank...

I had the same issue with my 2009 32BHD. It's on the "warranty" list that will go in with it this weekend. I had no problems with the vent. Once I strapped the fill hose down to remove the hump, it was fine. I assume the dealer had no issues during the prep because they used a hard coonetion to fill - one that physically screws to the fill opeining like the cap does.

Duramax1

I experienced the same problem when filling my tank.

I discovered that there is a severe twist in the vent line about three inches from the end of the line where it enters the universal docking station. I assume that this is preventing air from escaping from the tank when filling and this then causes the water to back up and out of the inlet filler tube.

As the trailer is going in shortly for some modifications and other work, I will let the dealer untwist it.

Shadowchek

I have had the same problem. The first time I was at home and blew out the vent with an air compressor. Then slowly filled it leaving it air space to breathe on the fill tube. It worked but was slow. I then went to home depot and found a nozzle that fit the fill tube perfectly and even had a inch wide rubber band around it where it sealed. I then shoved that in the hole and let her rip. The vent tube was full of water when I started but eventually the pressure inside the tank blew it out and it filled great.

Greg

bigredtruck

we had the same problem with the vent. Just needs a blow of air and it is fine. DH has just finished insulating the underbelly so isn't too interested in fixing permanently yet. Plus we are hooked up to City water now for the winter.

chrizg

There is a problem with the vent and fill tube - it has a low spot between the fill point and fresh water tank. If you trailer is under warranty take it to the dealer and have them drop the underbelly and re-route the fresh water fill and vent tube.

ogoodwin

Unfortunately this seems to be an ongoing problem. I had problems filling my 27rlss last year and took it to the dealer....now it's no better, maybe worse. Mine is a 2011 model, and this problem existed well before it was built, and apparently is still a problem in current production. What would be wrong with simply running the vent line straight out the bottom and doing away with the pretty much useless line to the fill station? This is my fourth trailer and the first I've had any problems filling the fresh water tank on. The others all had lines run directly down through the belly cover. I'm really having a problem figuring out why a fix hasn't been issued by the factory.

DougS

Doug S
I took a 10 foot old white hose, cut the metal end off, then I slide it 6-8 feet into the fill hole, fills great with both pressure and gravity feed of water. I also use a small 12 volt water pump to cut fill time down when dry camping in the NPs from a 45 gallon ballon bag.

jimtoo

Hi berntsen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The forum is here to help, so if you have a question, just ask.

Jim M

Thanks for the info...we will try that.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for the info...we will try that.
I use a 5' long 3/8" diameter hose to blow my vent clear of water, it then accepts water to fill the tank. (Home Depot or Lowes sells it by the foot.). The issue/problem is the fill and vent tank connections are one in the same.

Whisper

A simple fix to this problem on older machines is to remove about 6 screws on the lefthand underbelly cover, locate the vent line at its lowest position and install a"T" fitting in the 1/2" vent line. On the "T" fitting install a 1/2" piece of hose down and out through the bottom of the underbelly a few inches to allow air to vent downward.

RAHanock

Please see post #9 in the entry below for other ideas.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/33157-Fresh-Water-Tanks-Expanded-An-Expensive-Lesson