Filling tank with anderson 4 way valve - how to know when it's full?

motoman44

Ok guys, newbie to the thread and to Heartland. We just picked up a used 2015 Cyclone 3418 and I have a question about the anderson 4 way valve system it comes with. My last trailer was very simple and straight forward, it was gravity fed into the tank with a vent valve right next to it and the water would spill out the vent when full. With this new rig, I was going through everything last weekend trying to figure everything out and making sure everything worked. I filled it up with water by switching to tank to fill and was expecting something to spill out somewhere to know when it's full but nothing happened. I had the hose connected for almost 30 minutes and the panel indicated the tank was full. I took the storage area apart so I could see the back of the valve and see how it is connected and there is a hose going to the open hole in the middle of the 4 way valve which I assume is the vent. Shouldn't water come out of the vent when it's full? Or do these systems have some sort of shut of valve for over fill protection? I've looked around on forums and did some searches but didn't find any definitive answers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jimtoo

Hi motoman45,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure that some of our other members with the 4 way will jump in soon with some help for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi motoman44,

Your fresh tanks should have overfllow fittings that come through the frame so that when full, water spills onto the ground. On the door side, it may be routed along the frame close to the main entry steps.

Our owner-written Water Systems Guide has some additional information you might find useful.

motoman44

Thank you Jim and Dane, I'll hook up again this weekend and try it again. Maybe I didn't have it connected to the hose long enough or something. After all, I am coming from only 30 gal of fresh water in my last trailer and that took just a couple minutes to fill to the top! haha

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Be careful filling. It is easy to overfill, expand the tanks and have some major issues. This little tool helps and fill slowly not at full hose pressure. My tanks have three overflows that begin flowing in an order and I know when the last one starts the tanks are full. I also know that 114 gals is full for me, tanks, water heater and lines.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wate...61949583&sr=8-1&keywords=hose+bib+water+meter

I never thought about getting a meter. GREAT IDEA!!!
Thanks

avvidclif

I also have the 3418 and the meter. I fill according to how long I'll be gone. I've never tried to fill them up but I have put 100 gal in and it takes longer than you think. I have the regulator (60 PSI) inline when filling to not stress the fittings. 100 Gal takes abt 25-30 min.

Buy the meter and use it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Figure 4-5 gal per minute for maximum flow. It takes nearly 15 minutes to fill my 60 gal tank from empty. We have a Bighorn. No meter. I fill tank full to overflowing when dry camping. The BH has an overflow vent exiting on each side of the frame behind the axles. The off door side spits first then the door side. I have a threaded cap on each so that all my water doesn't siphon out when driving down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I fill according to how long I'll be gone.

That can be a problem if you are dry camping at some remote location and decide to stay longer. Like an elk or turkey hunt and you want to add a day or two.

avvidclif

That could be true but the same thing can happen if the tanks were filled. Change of plans, go buy water.

Lynn1130

Key word here is "remote". Besides the 114 gals in the system, I carry 32 gals in a tote, and when stays may be long, another 30 or so in plastic cans which can then be pumped into the tank. I would rather have to dump water at the end of a trip than come up short. The closest "go buy water" location is 30 miles and can involve some bad roads in weather that is better avoided if possible.

Water and boon-docking are kind of like flying. Ample fuel and airspeed are your friends.

Ok guys, newbie to the thread and to Heartland. We just picked up a used 2015 Cyclone 3418 and I have a question about the anderson 4 way valve system it comes with. My last trailer was very simple and straight forward, it was gravity fed into the tank with a vent valve right next to it and the water would spill out the vent when full. With this new rig, I was going through everything last weekend trying to figure everything out and making sure everything worked. I filled it up with water by switching to tank to fill and was expecting something to spill out somewhere to know when it's full but nothing happened. I had the hose connected for almost 30 minutes and the panel indicated the tank was full. I took the storage area apart so I could see the back of the valve and see how it is connected and there is a hose going to the open hole in the middle of the 4 way valve which I assume is the vent. Shouldn't water come out of the vent when it's full? Or do these systems have some sort of shut of valve for over fill protection? I've looked around on forums and did some searches but didn't find any definitive answers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have the same trailer and it took 45 min to fill the first time. When it was full it started to spill out by the door. Still not sure if thats right or if I have a lose vent fitting? Does anyone know for sure?

danemayer

I have the same trailer and it took 45 min to fill the first time. When it was full it started to spill out by the door. Still not sure if thats right or if I have a lose vent fitting? Does anyone know for sure?
On trailers with the 4 Way Anderson Valve, the fresh tank has 1 or 2 overflow fittings. There's PEX tubing that comes out through the frame and then runs along the frame, usually toward the entry door. It terminates with a 90 degree PEX fitting. There may be a 2nd line on the other side of the trailer.

When the tank is full, water runs out those fittings. If you travel with a lot of water, the motion of the water in the tank may cause water to escape during travel as well.

LBR

We just got our CY 10 days ago...I was filling the 2 fresh tanks and watched/listened to the vent next to the 4 way valve and also watched the 2 fresh water overflow lines underneath the UDC. Next thing I found was water running out by the front steps...not what I expected.

I've had my Anderson valve cylinder changed out twice now. When I've got it hooked to city water, it allows a small amount of water to pass through and it fills my tank. Eventually it comes out the overflow tubes if I don't drain tank.

LBR

Do those lines have valves on them? Maybe low point drains?
Neither of the 2 drain lines have valves showing below the coroplast. Close to these lines, I have my one low point drain with valve showing.

I have 2 fresh water tanks, one on either side of front door...am suspecting the rear tank vent line came unhooked/tank cracked on top syndrome that a few peeps have reported earlier....no biggy, when it stopped leaking, all was good. Will check it out...

On trailers with the 4 Way Anderson Valve, the fresh tank has 1 or 2 overflow fittings. There's PEX tubing that comes out through the frame and then runs along the frame, usually toward the entry door. It terminates with a 90 degree PEX fitting. There may be a 2nd line on the other side of the trailer.

When the tank is full, water runs out those fittings. If you travel with a lot of water, the motion of the water in the tank may cause water to escape during travel as well.

I don't see the PEX pipe maybe it's covered by the plastic underbelly?
i just need to expose the tank and look where it's coming from.