Fire on the South Fork

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
A little excitement on the home front today! This fire started about halfway between the east entrance of Yellowstone and Cody WY. These photos taken from the our home.
DSCN0310.jpgDSCN0309.jpg

Kbvols

That had to be a little terrifying. Hope all is well and no one hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlw930

A little excitement on the home front today! This fire started about halfway between the east entrance of Yellowstone and Cody WY. These photos taken from the our home.
View attachment 46929View attachment 46928

We're staying at an RV park just west of Wapiti. Where's your place? These are photos I took from 20 earlier Wednesday.
7b6029d406f20fb5862893a4de4d0a9c.jpg
09e0226387eb6c036fe981520645d12d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codycarver

We're staying at an RV park just west of Wapiti. Where's your place? These are photos I took from 20 earlier Wednesday.
7b6029d406f20fb5862893a4de4d0a9c.jpg
09e0226387eb6c036fe981520645d12d.jpg

We are south of you, across the reservoir.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
These wildfires are pretty scary . . . you never know what they will do!

Stay safe!

We had one close to us about 12 years ago when we lived in Boulder, Colorado . . .

Took this from our patio:

BoulderFireR1-16Arz.jpg

dlw930

We watched the smoke from the one west of Canon City 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was a few miles farther away from us than this one. Seems like we sure know how pick our campgrounds!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Sure hope they get it put out before we get to Cody the first week of September. You all stay safe out there.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We watched the smoke from the one west of Canon City 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was a few miles farther away from us than this one. Seems like we sure know how pick our campgrounds!

What campground were you at?

We were just down there on the July 4th. weekend at Echo Canyon RV Park at the Royal Gorge.

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020324.jpg ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020317.jpg

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg RoyalGorge-P7030389.jpg

RoyalGorgeDino--P7030399.jpg

I tried to get a couple more days off so we could meet up at Blue Mesa, but neither of us could get the extra days off right now.

dlw930

What campground were you at?

We were just down there on the July 4th. weekend at Echo Canyon RV Park at the Royal Gorge.

I tried to get a couple more days off so we could meet up at Blue Mesa, but neither of us could get the extra days off right now.

We stayed at a small park called Bandera's Bunkhouse in Howard. Wasn't fancy but could walk across the street to the Arkansas River. The owners were really nice and helpful.

codycarver

Sure hope they get it put out before we get to Cody the first week of September. You all stay safe out there.

This is one of 12 fires in Wyoming. It went from 1800 acres to 8500 acres yesterday. A level one fire fighting team has been called in to put it out. They will be using everything at their disposal. The reservoir has been closed to boat traffic so nobody gets scooped up by accident.

Donna1098

Okay I think it is the Whit incident? Don't live here but since it is 15 miles from Cody that made sense to me. Smoke really thick here today.

codycarver

Not sure which category this fire is listed under.

This fire did start in the Whit creek drainage. It has since moved south. Some reports have it jumping the Sothfork of the Shoshoni river and the Sothfork road. As of yesterday it was an unnamed fire but that may have changed by now. For anybody traveling through Yellowstone from or to Cody this fire should NOT interfere with those plans. I'm getting all my info from locals so take that for what it's worth.