Firearms traveling to Alaska via Canada

beck-mark

I would like to turn this into a more constructive thread. Its on my bucket list to travel the alcan highway one day. I also travel with hand guns but don't want to ship them to Alaska so I can have them there I want a way to leave them in a border state and then get them back when I return to the lower 48. Has anyone got any ideas on this. Ive thought maybe a locker at a bus stop, or a bank lock box. Maybe someone else has done something similar could chime in.

Lynn1130

Walking in to a bank with a gun exposed in any way might not be a good idea. Keep in mind that banks have cameras everywhere and pulling one out, even in an area set up for safe deposit boxes might cause an employee to become more than a little suspicious. You may want to check with the bank before renting the box for that purpose. They may have no problems with it and then again...

Wmnmy

We traveled through Canada on our way to Alaska and back with a shotgun with absolutely no issues.

The other three couples with us also had long guns.

We all filled out form RCMP 5589 (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm) and presented them at the border crossings - you will have to go inside and pay the current fee which is good for 90 days and then you're on your way.

This is for long guns only.

Why is it that current and former LEOs don't want to travel without some way to protect our families and ourselves? Could it be we know something other folks do not?
You are correct one we often see things around us others don't that just comes with years of experience , two I too have run into people I have had to either arrest or cite and who weren't happy at the time and you don't know what they are thinking of doing to me or my family , three I legally carry everywhere I go with home invasions on the rise , car jackings,robberys at atm machines and young gang members making a name for themselves not worth my life or my families or the good citizens of our great country that's why I took the oath . Plus with what's going on abroad and prior military anything can happen at any place anytime ..."

Lynn1130

I am a former LEO and I do not travel with a firearm everywhere I go. Two of my sons-in-law are current LEO and they do not travel with a firearm everywhere they go. That blanket statement is not correct. There are times when we carry and there are times when we do not. None of us are so paranoid that we need guns at every place and function.

Anything can happen at any place and any time. Part of being a trained observer is to be aware of what is going on around you and avoid problems when it is not necessary or prudent to get involved. Sometimes it is better to be a good witness. Each individual can do what he or she thinks is best but my choice is to avoid problems when I can. I was an LEO for 35 years and worked everything from patrol to narcotics. I worked SWAT (we call it something else) and trained officers is tactical operations. I supervised use of force investigations. In all of that I pulled my weapon so many times I cannot count and used it once. I have never had to use a weapon off duty all of the years I was active or any of the years I have been retired and I live in a metro area of 3.5 million, where you would expect problems.

Imurphy

I am a former LEO, and a resident of Alaska. There is a lot of well lets call it strange info in this thread.

I have driven the Alcan at least one way every year for the last 8 years. Every time I have had firearms with me. There are ways to do it perfectly legal. You just need to understand the rules, and do the paperwork.

If you wish to temporarily store a firearm, a safety deposit box is NOT a good idea. Banks actually have rules against storing firearms and even cash. Storing either such item will be a violation of the agreement, and if they find out whats in there. Dont expect it to be there when you get back. The best way to store a firearm when you have no one you trust to leave it with? A firearms dealer. Many if not most firearm dealers will store for a fee, your firearm. Explore some of the dealers in the area where you want to "drop" your hardware and start talking to them.

Another option is to ship it to you. I often send handguns and other "prohibited" hardware to the other side.

I hold CWP's in almost 32 states, and take advantage of that.

When driving North, I also take advantage of cheaper ammunition in the lower 48. And the fact I can legally transport 5,000 rounds thru Canada. I typically remove 1 round from a random box putting me at 4,999rds. Usually they don't care, a few times they have decided I was up to something and count. Then watch the frustration when they try to find the 1 missing round, after I have told them it was left in the US.

OldTanker

Retired LEO and retired Army Officer. I've been to Canada and had a rather enjoyable time there exploring Victoria Island, once I got past Canadian Customs. I did not transport any firearms there even though I was at that time still serving as a LEO in 1985. I knew I was going to go to Canada when I left so did not take anything with me on that trip. I will not go back to Canada again however given the treatment I had by Canadian Customs Officials.

I was treated to the fishing expedition type of questioning where a single answer was not acceptable. Repeated answers to the same question were also not acceptable. After answering no to the question, do I have anything to protect myself, a total of 4 times I actually produced my Police Department ID card and politely said I understood the prohibition of handguns into Canada and did not bring one with me. The rude Official then snatched the ID from my hand and quized me about the name of the Chief of Police of my department. I gave her his name, the address of the PD and the information phone number. I had to demand the return the ID card as she started to place it into her pocket. since she ignored a request to return it after the quiz.

Since I was riding a motorcycle (BMW), as were my friend and his wife, it was plain we also had no long guns. Out of a very fully packed ferry from Seattle there were a total of 3 vehicles pulled aside for search. The three motorcycles my friends and I were riding. Our possessions were very haphazardly tossed around on the ground and when done with the search the supervisor walked away with a very sarcastic," enjoy your stay in Canada", leaving us to repack or bikes and move on. We were not poorly dressed "biker" folks riding choppers and started the conversation a cordial polite manner.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. You need some kind of self defense everywhere you go these days. On top of that practice with it. I envy you if you think that "it wont happen to me", or "I am in a safe place/aware of my surroundings". Nonsense. It's global, it is getting worse. It's the same everywhere, no sense in getting in a tizzy over whether someone says it about Mexico, Canada or the U.S. Crime is rampant, it is everywhere, and anyone can be a victim. Even if you are not rich, you are all pulling nice fancy rigs with nice shiny pick ups that make you look like you have money. A smart criminal would put you on an auto list especially if you are from another country. A smart criminal would be educated enough to know that the laws are stacked against the law abiding citizen being "allowed" by our governments to carry a weapon. So yes you do need a firearm.

Lynn1130

Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. You need some kind of self defense everywhere you go these days

You are a victim if you make yourself a victim. Most all crime is opportunity. If you look like a victim and you are in the right place, at the right time you probably will become a victim.

I have said it before but for the sake of this thread I will say it again. I was a cop for 35 years and in more sketchy situations than most people will every be in and I had to use my gun ONCE. I pulled it many times expecting to use it but fired it ONCE. But that is also because I frequented those bad parts of town that most people here avoided and the radio/computer calls sent me there. As I mentioned I live in a metro area of 3.5+ million people and am out and about often as an ordinary citizen. I have never seen or had an occasion where I needed to pull a weapon.

If you feel safe carrying a gun, go for it but saying that everyone needs one and should carry one is paranoia at its finest. We watch too many TV shows and movies that portray the streets of the U.S. as teaming with bad people ready to cut you up or shoot you at the first chance. BS! that is not real life.

And just a note on "being a victim" we have a sheriff in Maricopa County that spends most of his time speaking at groups in retirement communities because that crowd (us mostly) are paranoid about becoming a victim and they keep electing the nut. The older we get the more we think we are going to be robbed, burglarized, beat up and raped.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
"If you feel safe carrying a gun, go for it but saying that everyone needs one and should carry one is paranoia at its finest."

If it needs a title so be it I will own it. I rather look at myself as being educated. Many events you encountered were lessened by being a cop showing up in uniform with the pretty lights etc. Not fair to compare that with the average citizen. I worked a paramedic ambulance for long enough to see what people will do to each other ESPECIALLY the elderly who are looked at as weak and helpless. Paranoid... nope intelligent!

Lynn1130

You may have missed the part where I said "often as an orndinary citizen" I can't ever recall showing up as a civilian in a car with lights on it and in uniform. You may have confused two different thoughts in my post. I did not compare the two I specifically separated them.

Im not saying anyone should not carry if they feel it is necessary. What I am saying is that I don't feel it is warranted in most cases. And I will own that statement.

And as an after thought but one I said in another post. Most senior citizens carrying guns take the chance of some 20 year old perp taking it away from them and shooting them with it.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Ok....it is time to cool off and time to get back on topic.

Capt7383

I also believe that 99% of the time I will not need a gun. But until I get one of those crystal balls I will carry a gun. I also carry auto insurance but I dont expect to get into an accident

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

You might have a different opinion of Arpaio if you talk with the hundreds of honest, ethical deputies that work under him but then if they say anything they will have an internal investigation started on them and be fired for some trumped up charge. Most of them that I know are ashamed of their organization right now.

And I don't think anyone is warmed up. I think there is an honest difference of opinion as to whether one needs to carry a gun in this country. Those that feel there is a need can carry and those that don't do not need to carry. That is one of the "perks" of living in the U.S. you get to make up your own mind and as long as the law allows do what you wish.

And as to on topic, you're right but then when has any thread here remained on topic :)