Fireplace

ernest917

Having never had a fireplace in an RV I have what’s probably a foolish question - is it safe to run the fireplace while we sleep???

sengli

Well when I have used ours, they are set up to run on either 750 watts or 1500 watts. At the max setting your drawing around 12 amps. I found when I ran ours on the wide open setting, the AC power cord to the unit and even the outlet it was plugged into got pretty warm after a period of time. So just for the sake of being on the cautious side, I ran ours only on the 1500 watt setting while we were awake.

RoadJunkie

My opinion--Is it safe--is that it is always risky to operate an unattended electric heater. Also, if you have a 5th wheel, heat needs to be distributed to the basement area to help avoid freezing. This process is only accomplished by using the furnace.

rhodies1

I have a fireplace and would not leave it running all night: as noted the cord and plug get very warm. Not worth the risk.

roy2

we dont run ours at night we us a heating blanket. we dont go any were cold for the winter anymore.dont get cold in Yuma az

wdk450

I've been running my fireplace heater as the main source of overnight heat since I bought my 2008 Bighorn, which I have been fulltiming in for about 9 years. Early on I changed out ALL of the electrical outlets from the small metal contact area insulation displacement connector (think V slit metal connections like a 12 volt Scotchlok) used on RV assembly lines to standard screw and metal plate to stripped wire ends connection outlets like in use in homes and commercially. I was inspired to do this after noticing the pilot light on an electrical space heater in the trailer flickering while the heater seemed to work OK.
I stay in Southern California and very rarely use my propane furnace.

SLO

When our trailer was a couple of years old I turned on the fireplace and immediately got a electrical burning smell. I discovered the blower was not operating when the heating element kicked on. Called the manufacturer who sent me a new blower heating element assembly, under warranty. Because I’m curious, I took the blower assembly apart and lubed the blower. Reinstalled and it’s still working fine. The replacement assembly is in the cabinet just in case. Because of my experience, I don’t use the fireplace unless I’m home and awake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk