FIXED: Compressor Thermal Overload Protector for Penguin II is now OBSOLETE??!!

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have the Penguin II 15,000BTU Heat Pump/AC as our rear unit. It quit cooling last weekend and after LOTS of YouTube videos I ventured onto the roof to diagnose the issue. Turns out the Thermal Overload Protector sensor connection (on top of compressor) was "crispy" (see photos). So I began the online search for the replacement part, Klixon CRA4794-133. Absolutely zero success finding the replacement. After calls to several RV repair shops, no one could find the part. Finally I got a reply from Boat & RV Accessories with a copy of the schematic and parts list for our model. The correct part for our specific Penguin II is Mfg Part Number 3313107.110. Boat & RV did not have the part. After several emails to Dometic, I get this:

Lance,

According to the parts list, it is part number 3313107.110. However, this is obsolete with no replacement.

Sarah

REALLY???!!! See photo for their attached parts list

SO NOW THE QUESTION, does any one know of an alternate for this part? Dometic was ZERO HELP!!!

1.JPG2.JPGaaa Penguin II model .jpgaaa Therm Cot off Sensor 1.jpgaaa Therm Cut Off Sensor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Compressor Thermal Overload Protector for Penguin II is now OBSOLETE??!!

Another long shot might be RepairClinic.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

We have the Penguin II 15,000BTU Heat Pump/AC as our rear unit. It quit cooling last weekend and after LOTS of YouTube videos I ventured onto the roof to diagnose the issue. Turns out the Thermal Overload Protector sensor connection (on top of compressor) was "crispy" (see photos). So I began the online search for the replacement part, Klixon CRA4794-133. Absolutely zero success finding the replacement. After calls to several RV repair shops, no one could find the part. Finally I got a reply from Boat & RV Accessories with a copy of the schematic and parts list for our model. The correct part for our specific Penguin II is Mfg Part Number 3313107.110. Boat & RV did not have the part. After several emails to Dometic, I get this:

Lance,

According to the parts list, it is part number 3313107.110. However, this is obsolete with no replacement.

Sarah

REALLY???!!! See photo for their attached parts list

SO NOW THE QUESTION, does any one know of an alternate for this part? Dometic was ZERO HELP!!!

View attachment 64898View attachment 64899View attachment 64900View attachment 64901View attachment 64902

Maybe you’ve done this, but if you haven’t I’d call Carbon Brush, a company who handles Klixon parts at 800-500-7311. They’re in California.

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

Have you talked to Sensata (manufacturer of Klixon) directly? Maybe there is a new part number for the old one you have. Here is a webpage with a direct contact link: https://www.sensata.com/

On edit: After some involved websearching I found this part under the Tecumseh Products Company. It seems the Federal Government lists it on its Federal Stock number (NSN) index, and must use it. Maybe Sensata sold the line to Tecumseh.

This place lists 3 in stock for a low price: https://controlscentral.com/tabid/6...dygrDAyn-I30fnJJYFEjJNSEkxeQ3wrxoC9JAQAvD_BwE

On 2nd edit: I found this Dometic AC overleoad protector with a different part number, but some in stock, online. In researching these overload protectors, specific ratings seem hard to find. This has the Dometic part number, so maybe you could run it by them:
https://www.boatandrvaccessories.co...h0KvvZ5nvEUmyHKanEMbPcKMq-QBUxExoC0DkQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

If your old one has the specifics on it maybe a different brand with the same specs

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader

Thanks for all the replies.....I have reached out to almost all of the suggestions. Even Dometic was no help with an alternate. I have found many parts online that look identical...but found there are size differences (diameter). The current part is 1 1/4" and the potential replacements are 1". I am certainly no expert on how these function, and no specs are on the part.

SOOOO, after all this frustration, research and HOC support, I decided to take another look at the old sensor. When I first tested for continuity, I got nothing, indicating bad sensor.....So I decided to clean the connections (which I SHOULD have done initially!!!) and low and behold...I got a tone!!!! I put new connectors on and hooked up the unit....it WORKED!!!!! Lesson learned!!!!! BUT, I am disappointed that a Dometic unit that is still in production DOES NOT HAVE replacement parts!!!

Thanks for all your help....maybe this thread will help someone else avoid my frustration!!

Be well & stay safe!!!!

jerryjay11

Because of the terminal damage even though you got it to clean and work do some research on the compressor for a replacement overload rather than the appliance model. Compressors have their own model number and the specs for that compressor can be used to determine the proper size overload. As with any AC compressor I have always used its info and have always found what I needed.

2019_V22

Typically the overload part is supplied with the compressor, say when replacing the compressor with a new one. So you have a few options to search by. Demotic probably did not make the compressor, but this can be understood by looking at the compressor ID tag on it's exterior. You can search by the manufacture for a replacement overload, or use the A/C unit specs tag that you posted a pic of to find your replacement part. You're simply looking for an overload for a 1/4 HP compressor, and your search should include rotary compressor overload. When it comes to size, it only needs to fit back into the top well of the compressor and the terminal cover needs to go back correctly too. The key is that it's rated for the 1/4 HP compressor.
The purpose of the overload is to cease current flow to the compressor in the event the compressor is drawing too many amps due to locked rotor (stuck/frozen motor), or high temp given off my the compressor, which is why it sits nicely in the round well on top, and he terminal cap holds it there.
Reference below,

https://www.appliancespares.co.za/refrigeration/overloads, relays and contactors.aspx