Flaking furniture

CBCWO

Hello all,

I purchased my 2013 Cyclone in the summer of 2012 and lived in it for 3 years. I have used it several times since then and for the last year it has been parked at my house. I let my exwife live in it for a few months this year and after a month of living there she told me that they couches were flaking very badly. I don't know what the warranty period is for the furniture so that is my first question, does anyone know what the manufacturer warranty length is for the furniture? These things should not have flaked the way that they did so I want to get them replaced. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Mostly it's a 1 year warranty. But a few appliances may have a 2 year warranty. The roof material has a very long warranty.

Furniture probably has a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

Unfortunately this is pretty common. I think it affects not only RV furniture but home type furniture with this type of fabric. Either recover it or replace it, like I did.

southernlady5464

The fabric is known as plastic leather or pleather. It’s a cheap method to get the leather look as long as you don’t ever use it.

We are replacing our theater seats that is pleather with a fabric version.

We have a 2015 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ulta 5th wheel camper that we love, but the upholstery on all of the seats are peeling dreadfully for a 4 year old camper. We’ve had three campers before this one that were all much older and never had this problem. We contacted Heartland and the furniture manufacturer, Allure Furniture, and they keep sending us back and forth due to expired warranty and second owner. I strongly feel that both companies should stand behind their product. After paying so much for this nice camper it just doesn't make sense in having the additional expense replacing this furniture when this is a defective material for sure. An additional problem is the dinette seats and living room sleep sofa are attached in a way that makes it very difficult to cover and/or replace, almost like one unit.

danemayer

We have a 2015 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ulta 5th wheel camper that we love, but the upholstery on all of the seats are peeling dreadfully for a 4 year old camper. We’ve had three campers before this one that were all much older and never had this problem. We contacted Heartland and the furniture manufacturer, Allure Furniture, and they keep sending us back and forth due to expired warranty and second owner. I strongly feel that both companies should stand behind their product. After paying so much for this nice camper it just doesn't make sense in having the additional expense replacing this furniture when this is a defective material for sure. An additional problem is the dinette seats and living room sleep sofa are attached in a way that makes it very difficult to cover and/or replace, almost like one unit.

As you've discovered, in the RV industry, even if it were within the first year warranty period, the warranty only applies to the original purchaser.

SNOKING

Hello all,

I purchased my 2013 Cyclone in the summer of 2012 and lived in it for 3 years. I have used it several times since then and for the last year it has been parked at my house. I let my exwife live in it for a few months this year and after a month of living there she told me that they couches were flaking very badly. I don't know what the warranty period is for the furniture so that is my first question, does anyone know what the manufacturer warranty length is for the furniture? These things should not have flaked the way that they did so I want to get them replaced. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Heat does that. Sales lady at American Furniture in Arizona said we needed to keep the AC at 88 in the summer heat to prevent that from happening. Chris

CarterKraft

It happens to the same fabric in sticks/bricks homes too. I don't see temperature being an issue in that case.

2TrakR

Heat does that. Sales lady at American Furniture in Arizona said we needed to keep the AC at 88 in the summer heat to prevent that from happening. Chris

As is unfortunately too often the case, the sales people don't always know the products they are selling.

We put the swivel chair/lounge from our Cyclone in our house for the kids to use as a gaming chair; put in a desk and office chair in the RV. The fabric completely separated on the chair. Actually happened sooner than the cushions in our dinette that remained in the RV.

It's not heat, humidity nor cold. It's usage.

Just a poor quality product (the psuedo-leather).

Sherrykt

Hello all,

2017 Heartland Bighorn. Sofa and loveseat is flaking. We have kept this unit looking brand new and, now that we are trying to sell it, the flaking sofa and loveseat looks so bad people are not interested in purchasing it. We actually have it listed several thousands dollars under JD Powers suggested price, yet people in the market are not wanting to deal with this issue. What upsets me most is that Heartland has known for years this material was a problem, yet they kept using it, causing thousand of owners to have to deal with it later, after the warranty ran out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sengli

Like many others on here, we ended up replacing the RV type furniture with home furnishings. The RV furniture we had was pleather covered OSB plywood and it went to the burn pile. We went with lazy boy recliners to replace the theatre seating in our landmark. And few years ago we went with BEST furniture to replace the theatre seating and couch in our bighorn.

Attachments

• DSCF0230.JPG
    DSCF0230.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 50

Daley07

I removed the small dinette from our small slide out and was looking for small, light chairs for the space. I have found an RV recliner to replace. That is the RecPro Charles RV Euro Chair Recliner. These fit very well and are plenty comfortable. This is far better than the original dinette. There is room for 2 chairs with a small table in between. They stay put when traveling, with no tie-downs needed. I gave five stars for the above reasons. I will update after I have used them for a while. It is the ideal solution for me.

Last edited: