flatbed, is it a possibility

akfoote

Hi all we are about a month out for picking up our Cyclone 4006. (newbie 5th wheel family)

I'm looking at tow vehicles and one of them is a flatbed (not a hauler).
I'm interested if anyone is towing a Cyclone or similar with a flatbed configuration.
Will the height of the deck be too tall for pulling this trailer?

I have another thread I started that was asking for clearance / measurements (here).
I'm trying to figure out if I should skip this rig and keep looking.

Thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just for your info. I saw this hitch on a flatbed up in Idaho a while back
f61950390ad4ff51173686d2ef51f9c3.jpg
deefcf290b5c480776fbe0769098a216.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dewwood

I towed with a flatbed some years back and had no problem. Check to make sure the bed is a standard width and length, to position your fifth wheel correctly over the axle you will need clearance of the bed corners when turning.

Dave_Jari

Hi all we are about a month out for picking up our Cyclone 4006. (newbie 5th wheel family)

I'm looking at tow vehicles and one of them is a flatbed (not a hauler).
I'm interested if anyone is towing a Cyclone or similar with a flatbed configuration.
Will the height of the deck be too tall for pulling this trailer?

I have another thread I started that was asking for clearance / measurements (here).
I'm trying to figure out if I should skip this rig and keep looking.

Thanks

Hey akfoote,
I bought a ram 4500 C&C to pull our RW427. Ordered a bed, but asked a lot of questions first. My B&W companion I had was 16.5" tall, the framing of the bed is 6" and the B&W flatbed hitch is 10.5", which in everyone's opinion is equal. I'm getting my bed put on tomorrow and had already ordered the flatbed base, so I'll find out Saturday if things work out, as the flatbed base is not adjustable like the companion was. I'll let you know what I find out

Dave_Jari

akfoote,
I put the flatbed hitch together today and mounted it in the B&W turnover hitch. I hooked up and moved to a very level area. I was worried about being too high, but everything appears to be perfect! If the flatbed is what you like, I'd go for it, just be aware that the hitch shown in previous post is specific to the B&W "system", which is what I have. If you have a different set up, do some more investigation. As far as mine, it is going to work out great. Good luck to you.

Looks like you've got some great advise on here. I own a 3750FL and drive with a very large flatbed. I installed a PullRite ISO sliding hitch, not so it doesn't hit the rear cab, but so it doesn't hit the corner fenders. It's worked great and I've never had an issue. I may not have needed this, but it's giving me peace of mind knowing I'll never have an issue.IMG_0595.JPGIMG_2889.JPEG

chiefneon

Howdy!

If your flatbed already has a goose neck ball you might want to consider a Reece Goose Box. I tow a Cyclone 4000 with a GooseBox now a a couple of years without problems. I like that I no longer have to deal with a 5er hitch and have a clean bed to use when wanted.

”Happy Trails“
Chiefneon

centerline

from the ground, about 60" is getting close to the max height that you will be wanting a 5th wheel plate to be.... a few inches higher would be ok, but lower is better.... mine is 62" without the trailer connected, and have no issues with it... it tows good, good stability, and easy to see to hook up to the trailer.... I have it high because I have side rail boxes along the side of my bed and dont want the trailer to contact them... a flatbed shouldnt be but 6 inches higher than a pickup bed, so there should be no problems with using a 5th wheel..... but for an even lower connection, a gooseneck hitch will work... but a gooseneck takes more to connect and disconnect, and I dont like the added inconvenience of them....