Flies getting inside MPG 184

Took out our new to us 2011 MPG 184 this weekend for the first time. Loved it, but the only issue we are having is somehow flies are getting inside the camper. We left for a few hours, doors all closed, and when we returned their were probably 400 flies inside. We spent half an hour killing all them but the next day have dozens more inside. We can't figure out how they are getting in. Screens are all good, no obvious areas we can see. Only thing I can think would be thru the air conditioner or furnace maybe? Anyone ever had a similar issue?

wdk450

I would wonder what would attract 400+ flies??? If screens are good, no obvious points of entry, I am more thinking that a rodent or something else has died in your rig and is PRODUCING all those flies.

Are these typical sized house flies, or tiny "sewer flies"???

They are regular size flies. Nothing dead in there as had it in the driveway for a week with no issues. They are always horrible at the Missouri River here in SD, but have never had that many get inside a camper. A few get in with the door opening once in awhile.
Here is a pic from the bathroom at the campground to show how bad they are.20211012_115412.jpg

jerryjay11

I don't know if you are in a cooler climate, but sounds more like they have nested in the camper and have just hatched or revitalized from the heat when you used it. With that many flies they are not coming in, but already there. I would try using an insect fogger (per instructions) then wipe down everything to remove excess insecticide. I've seen this before though it was in a shed. Issue then would be their dead caucuses are somewhere in the camper.

Now I know your climate since that pic and post you just posted.

RoadJunkie

It looks like they're trying to spell something, but I can't just can't make it out! We had some friends who had a similar problem with moths. To try and solve the problem, they went around the motor coach and stuffed small rags in the corner of the slides and it seems to cut way down on the problem. But, a few still got in. Maybe a fly trap will be useful in avoid the task of swatting each one. I have to admit, that's a pretty good infiltration.

LBR

I don't know if you are in a cooler climate, but sounds more like they have nested in the camper and have just hatched or revitalized from the heat when you used it. With that many flies they are not coming in, but already there. I would try using an insect fogger (per instructions) then wipe down everything to remove excess insecticide. I've seen this before though it was in a shed. Issue then would be their dead caucuses are somewhere in the camper.

Now I know your climate since that pic and post you just posted.

^^X2^^....IMO, flys were nested, yet lay dormant due to cold weather. Camper gets warmed up via heaters/sunlight and out they come.

jerryjay11

With a life span of about a month a female house fly is capable of laying up to 150 eggs in a batch. Over a period of a few days, she will produce five or six batches of eggs. If you use a fly trap, such as suggested, I would stay away from the fly traps bags that Lowes or Home depot sells. Oh yeah they are effective, but you may never get the stench out of the camper afterwards. Good luck!

Neat bar trick:
- While at a bar, bet the guy/s next to you, who may have had a few drinks already, that you can drown a fly and then bring it back to life. (Of course flies in a bar doesn't say much about the hygiene of the establishment)
- Next catch a fly (then that depends on your skills and how many beverages you've consumed)
- Ask the bar tender for a glass of water then place the fly in the water. (you can also use your beer, but I'd rather use the water)
- Wait for the fly to stop moving, apparently deceased then remove it from the water, place it on the bar, noting it isn't moving.
- Ask the bar tender for a bit of table salt and pour it over the fly to cover it. Wait for it...
- When the fly comes back to life, collect your bounty and run.

My Navy brother taught me that and though I was Air Force it worked well on my fellow airman. Then again it also tells you the hygiene and class of bars I attended.

Bobby A

X2 on the fogger, with 400 flies you might need two !! We used to use them several years ago when we closed up for the season. The kind we used back then you would be a little water in the bottom of a cup that comes provided. place it in a glass dish or something, make sure all window, vents and doors are closed tight. Then get out for a day or so. Again make sure to clean all counter and such, and of course a good vacuum. Good luck. Also to put rags in the corners of the slideouts are a good idea also.

wdk450

This You Tube video has instructions on how to make a very simple fly trap with things you have around the house. It also has recommendations on treatments for possible fly sources including dehumidifying the trailer and a sewer drain treatment.

jerryjay11

You know I tried that vinegar and soap trick for fruit flies awhile back in Delaware. It didn't work for me, but that baking soda and vinegar deal down the drains did seem to work for the fruit flies. But the issue is house flies and not fruit flies so I don't believe it will be useful here.