Floor Construction

aekisu

Dennis
I need to bring a coax cable into the living area. The coax is for amateur radio work so the "The Plan" is to avoid areas that would add extra RFI problems. The best place seems to be routing the line through the floor and then sending the cable alongside the back ladder.

Anyway, the question is about the floor construction. What lays beneath the living area carpet? How thick is the floor and that type of thing?

Of course, I open to other suggestions about getting my equipment connected to an outside antenna. I'm more than willing to reconsidering "The Plan" if you have a better idea.

2010augusta

your best bet is going through the very back edge floor of a slide-out. This is what I did to get a second satellite feed in the living room for the DVR. The hard part was fishing it up through the wall. The floor of the slides are not more than 1 inch thick and already have many wires ran through them. The main floor is several laminated layers, plus insulation and the underbelly skin. Make it easy on your self and go through a slide-out.

One other posibility is "flat coax" that can be routed through a window, but I do not know how that would affect your reception with the radio

Good luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
aekisu, Alan is correct. Go out and look under your slide outs in the living area. Along the outer edge of either one there is a couple of inches that does not come into the main floor area. You could use that, OR if SmokeyBare reads this post, he has a double set of coax running through the side wall of a slide out. He has it so it doesn't interfere with the seals. He mounted a wall plate to the outside of the slide wall and used plastic guides that were tapered to raise and guide the slide seals over the wall plate when the slide goes in & out. I thought there were pictures but I couldn't find them.

jbeletti

aekisu,

In your 2007, I believe your floor is comprised of:
- Carpet
- Padding
- Wood
- Fiberglass Insulation
- Wood (I think)
- Darco Wrap

Your 2007 would not have the laminated floor process. It should have aluminum floor perimeter framing and either aluminum or wood joists. See page 8 of the attached.

The slideout room floors are solid laminated plywood-like material, about an inch thick as others have mentioned.

Jim

Attachments

• BigHornConstructionBookpdf.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 39