Foul odor coming from upper kitchen cabinets

RayBliss

We have a 2012 Road Warrior 405RW toy hauler and have a terrible sewer like odor coming from our upper kitchen cabinets. They are sealed cabinets so we can’t figure out where the odor would be coming from. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The odor most likely is not coming from the upper cabinets.
Below the kitchen sink is an air admittance valve. Sometimes they fail and allow sewer gas into the coach. There should be one located below the bath sink as well.
Wrap a baggie over the valve and seal it with a rubber band to test it. If the odor then goes away, replace the valve. They are not expensive and can be found at any big box building center.
Also, up on the roof if you are comfortable going up there, remove the mushroom vent caps to check the seal between the vent pipe and roof. This can be a source of unwanted odors.

Peace
Dave

RayBliss

Thanks Dave! We aren’t seeing any valves. Looks like a solid sewage pipe going up in that wall behind the sink and the upper cabinets we’re referring to. As far as up on the roof, when we take the caps off there’s a piece that’s flush with the roof so we don’t see anything needing sealing. Hmmm

SLO

Sometime a nail or screw can penetrate the vent pipe which could cause a smell. Could even have been done at factory and may not show up for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayBliss

Sometime a nail or screw can penetrate the vent pipe which could cause a smell. Could even have been done at factory and may not show up for years.

Oh boy! And how would we know this without tearing down the cabinets or the wall?

jmarnell

Oh boy! And how would we know this without tearing down the cabinets or the wall?
For situations like this, I bought an inexpensive inspection camera - the lens is on the end of a 16 foot long stiff wire and can be used to inspect inside pipes, walls, or other tight places. With something like this you could scope out the inside of the vent pipe to see if there is a problem. Here's the link to the one I bought on Amazon - only $43 and already has helped tremendously! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888S8ZSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SLO

Look where the vent pipe comes out of the roof. Assuming the vent pipe goes straight up. Look inside and outside vertically below the vent pipe to see if there are any screws, nails, what ever, penetrating the wall below the vent pipe termination. Also, remove vent cap from roof and look down vent pipe to see if there are any foreign objects penetrating into vent pipe. Trick: Don’t use flashlight. On a sunny day when sun is at a good angle, use mirror to shine sunlight down into vent pipe. You’ll be able to see all the way down vent pipe. If you see something then you will need to cut into wall. The camera is also an excellent option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RayBliss

Look where the vent pipe comes out of the roof. Assuming the vent pipe goes straight up. Look inside and outside vertically below the vent pipe to see if there are any screws, nails, what ever, penetrating the wall below the vent pipe termination. Also, remove vent cap from roof and look down vent pipe to see if there are any foreign objects penetrating into vent pipe. Trick: Don’t use flashlight. On a sunny day when sun is at a good angle, use mirror to shine sunlight down into vent pipe. You’ll be able to see all the way down vent pipe. If you see something then you will need to cut into wall. The camera is also an excellent option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you both! I’ve ordered the camera. Hopefully we will be able to either see something or eliminate a potential problem.

RayBliss

So this morning the smell is very strong. What’s weird is that there isn’t a smell coming from under the kitchen sink cabinets which we can see a hole where the vent is going up. The strong smell is coming from the upper cabinets which are sealed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dave! We aren’t seeing any valves. Looks like a solid sewage pipe going up in that wall behind the sink and the upper cabinets we’re referring to. As far as up on the roof, when we take the caps off there’s a piece that’s flush with the roof so we don’t see anything needing sealing. Hmmm
Are you certain you don't have one of these? Did you get down on your hands and knees and look with a flashlight?
Sometimes they are missed.

Peace
Dave
b316b0f7c9e7ff9274e2d4f36f42a885.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Might you be smelling a dead rodent? Cabinets may be sealed from your line of sight but there are cavities for critters to crawl into
Just a thought

RayBliss

A dead rodent was on our list of possibilities but it seems more like a sewage gas smell. We ordered a camera which is coming tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to see something before doing anything drastic like removing the cabinets and walls.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
A dead rodent was on our list of possibilities but it seems more like a sewage gas smell. We ordered a camera which is coming tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to see something before doing anything drastic like removing the cabinets and walls.
Good luck on your quest. However I’m inclined to think you have a dead rodent if the smell is up high as you describe. Sewer gases are “heavy” and tend to be low along the floor that’s why others have questioned the studor valve typically found in the sink cabinets. Being unfamiliar with a RW though I guessing no island? Your sink is along an outside wall with a direct vent? If so, as I said, dead rodent

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good luck on your quest. However I’m inclined to think you have a dead rodent if the smell is up high as you describe. Sewer gases are “heavy” and tend to be low along the floor that’s why others have questioned the studor valve typically found in the sink cabinets. Being unfamiliar with a RW though I guessing no island? Your sink is along an outside wall with a direct vent? If so, as I said, dead rodent

Perhaps, but my experience with dead rodents is they have more of a sickly sweet odor, not a rotten egg (H2S) fragrance. You might want to get a gas detector and check your propane fittings as part of your investigation.