Frame cracks

Relayman

Has anyine experienced fram cracks that allow excessive pin bix movement ? How do you tell if you have a cracked frame issue ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Measure from the top of the pin box to the bottom of the front cap while hitched with all the weight on the pin then take the same measurement when unhitched. Both measurements should be close to the same.
If you find an excessive amount call Heartland. Have the last six numbers of your VIN handy.
What year is your rig?
You mentioned pin box movement, what brand/style pin box do you have?

Peace
Dave

sengli

Also look for movement, or separation in the seams around the front area of the cap, and the fascia near the front. We just looked at used fifth wheel last week, at a dealership in Indiana, and on both sides of the body there were raised areas in the sidewalls where the frame internally was flexing so badly that there were huge bulges in the outer skin.

wdk450

Search "frame flex" in the search tab at the upper right of this page.
The earlier Heartland frame designs, have been replaced with an improved design. In Bighorn models a side view of the front hitch overhang on older units will show almost a sharp right angle along the sidewall, where the newer designs have a more gently sloping curvature.

david-steph2018

Has anyine experienced fram cracks that allow excessive pin bix movement ? How do you tell if you have a cracked frame issue ?
I believe what you are talking about is referred to as "Frame Flex". It is where the pin box moves up/down when you are hooked to the 5th wheel. Like mentioned measure unhooked and hooked up.
A mobile welder can repair this, I have a couple of friends that had to have their units repaired from this issue.

wdk450

I believe what you are talking about is referred to as "Frame Flex". It is where the pin box moves up/down when you are hooked to the 5th wheel. Like mentioned measure unhooked and hooked up.
A mobile welder can repair this, I have a couple of friends that had to have their units repaired from this issue.
You forgot to mention that the front cap has to be removed/replaced to access the frame welds. I don't think that most welders do this.