Free Camping in Pennsylvania Wilds

szewczyk_john

Just returned from my first camping trip in Elk County. We found a free camp ground on PA State Forest Land called Hicks Run. Clean as can be, only 15 sites in total, no hook ups but it is free to PA residents. It sits about 4 miles back on a gravel road of of PA 555 about 20 minutes to the Elk viewing areas and visitors center. We had beautiful weather and wildlife was abundant. We went during the week and had the entire campground to ourselves. A black bear with 3 cubs were spotted just 10 minutes from the campgrounds but we did not see them. Deer elk birds and other wildlife were everywhere. This area is only about 45 minutes north of I-80 and I encourage everyone to check it out. I have been there before on the motorcycles but never stayed in the area. What a mistake.

For those that do not care for dry camping and need hookups, there are private campgrounds galore in the area. For me, I'll drive an extra few miles, camp for free, and have the entire campground to myself any day of the week. Campground has two creeks running along its borders. Road in was just an improved dirt road but was plenty wide enough for two way traffic in most spots. Locals were very friendly and more than willing to offer tips and information. This will most likely become an annual trip for us.
wilds1.JPG
wilds2.JPG
wilds3.JPG
wilds4.JPG

wilds5.JPG
wilds6.JPG

szewczyk_john

The Hicks Run Campground is exactly 1 hour north of I-80 exit Exit 101 for PA 555. We are heading back up in October 10th for a 3 day stay. Hoping to see the leaves changing and hear the Elk bulging. during that visit.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Jamie, I'd figure an hour and half from state college. Coming from your direction, if you want to stay on 4 lane, take I 80 W to exit 111, N on 153 to 255N to 555.
You could exit I99 at Port Matilda and take US 322 W to Clearfield and hop on I80W there. Exit 111 is on top of Penfield Mtn.
OR US219N all the way to Dubois !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

John, great area up there. Like you did, during the week, it's pretty lonely!!!

travelin2

Probably except during quiet hours but if you're the only one there

MP_CS

I actually work in the driftwood/sinemahoning area so i take it for granted but it really is a spectacular area. I usually camp at the bennezette store campground when we go because im one of those people who cant stand to drive up a dirt road with my rig, lol....

szewczyk_john

Gennys are good and there are quiet hours of 10 PM - 8AM. Locals told me that the campground received a major overhaul and upgrade years ago and they are amazed that it sits empty most of the time. Mid September through end of October is the hard time to get a spot but even then most folks would rather pay to stay down the road and get hook-ups.

As far as posting info about this little secret, I thought the purpose of this forum was to do exactly that and share information. I have been camping for a long time, a resident of the Commonwealth my whole life and been to the area a number of times for motorcycle rides but had no knowledge about it until recently.

Lynn1130

As far as posting info about this little secret

That is admirable and certainly up to you. My take, however, is that there are certain things I keep secret in order for them to stay that way. Hunting locations, good fishing locations and good camping locations are up front. Many locations in Arizona are now like that. Someone told someone else, who told someone else etc.. Try to find a camping spot in some of those areas now. And there are many that I share. Mostly those that already are well known and overloaded with people. That is just me.

My original comment was with a wink and the meaning that it won't be secret long. Nothing else was meant by it.

travelin2

Looks like a fun road just getting there.

It really is. It's definitely worth a trip, Elk are bountiful and they have some record bulls in the herd.

It's not too bad if, for you, drive west the come up 255. You can come up from the east on 120 along the Susquehanna River through Renovo. Now that's "fun"!! From the hunting camp I go to from time to time, we'd go over to the Sinnemahoning Sportsmans club to eat.
Yes, some really nice bull elk in the herd. At same camp we have had them in the yard and have seen them during whitetail buck season.