FRESH WATER TANK

Hello, I am a new RV owner. I have 2 issues.
1st: my trailers hot water is not coming out of the faucets ( it is heating). I am 95percent sure I have a bad valve coming from the hot water tank, which leads me to my second issue.
I think I need to drain my fresh water tank and obviously heater to make the repair. I have not been able to find online a location of the fresh water drain.
I have new Pex line ,clamps and the crimping tool to do so. I am ready to go. Just dont want to open any lines until I drain the tank. Do I need to drain it completely? I know the hot water tank(6 gallon in my case) needs to be empty, city water is off, just not sure how too drain fresh tank and how low. Thanks for your responses
2012 Heartland North Trail, 32 Buds

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Being a new RV owner it's not uncommon for the winterizing bypass valves to be in the wrong position. I'm not sure of your exact system but you could have three valves at the water heater. For normal use two should be in the open position and one in the closed position.
You should not have to drain the fresh water tank to repair the water heater.
Check the Tools section located in the navigation bar at the top of this page. There is a ton of information there including info on winterizing valves.

Peace
Dave

Yes, 3 valves. Bypass closed cold open. Hot open,but is spins 360° as the others do not. Assuming it's stuck,which would be why I have hot for a few seconds. I will check tools section. Was not sure if I had to drain fresh tank. Thanks

Bogie

If you have an outside shower, check that the valves are turned off. If they are turned on, the cold can mix with the hot water line inside the faucet causing a lack of hot water.

Hollandt

Yes, 3 valves. Bypass closed cold open. Hot open,but is spins 360° as the others do not. Assuming it's stuck,which would be why I have hot for a few seconds. I will check tools section. Was not sure if I had to drain fresh tank. Thanks
On the valve that is spinning 360 degrees, make sure the handle is completely on the stem. On one of my RVs the handle would try to fall off the stem of the valve. If not on completely on it would not index to the correct position.