Fridge Fixer - Keeping doors and drawers closed during transit.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
"Fridge Fixer" (device designed to hold fridge doors closed during transit) maiden voyage extreme test result: it works very well, amazingly well!!!
Got to campground last Thursday, opened RV door to find the residential fridge tipped over. Fridge doors and freezer drawer stayed shut, thanks to Fridge Fixer.
Spent next two/three days figuring out the problem and then the fix. Long story short, lower left metal bracket meant to hold fridge in place had missing bolt (my bad), and upper wooden frames designed to hold fridge upright failed (Heartland's bad - they were screwed into flimsy side paneling and worked loose over 6 years, basically shredding the paneling).
Fix was to add 1 1/2 inches to the front of the platform the fridge sits on, redo the brackets and install the bolts. Then rebuilt the upper brackets and screw them into substantial side framing. Finally, added two parachute cords between upper front bracket and hinges on fridge - without compromising door opening and closing. Worked well on trip home, so hope fix will work long term.
Kudos to LG fridge, still working well even if the front is pretty dinged up now.Tippy Fridge 2.jpgTippy Fridge.jpgBracket, Upper Rear.jpgFacia.jpgIMG_4137.JPGHoles.jpgIMG_4899.JPG

thewanderingeight

Wow, that’s scary looking! I am sure it was a fun surprise after opening the door!

I had a similar issue with our range hood. They only screwed into the decorative board for the cabinets above. So as my son was climbing the bunk ladder, he placed his hand on the vent and the whole thing fell down. Simply had to move the screws over about an inch to actually screw into some wood. I was no longer using the pre drilled holes, but I would think it would be easy to see how it would have failed even from just a bumpy road.

Thanks for including your fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
Wow, that’s scary looking! I am sure it was a fun surprise after opening the door!

I had a similar issue with our range hood. They only screwed into the decorative board for the cabinets above. So as my son was climbing the bunk ladder, he placed his hand on the vent and the whole thing fell down. Simply had to move the screws over about an inch to actually screw into some wood. I was no longer using the pre drilled holes, but I would think it would be easy to see how it would have failed even from just a bumpy road.

Thanks for including your fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, we opened the fridge doors very carefully! Glad you found your issue and fix. Thanks!

wdk450

One thing you can say for the older refrigerators DESIGNED for RV use is that they were/are well secured to the rig. Screws into the surround frame top and bottom on the front, and bottom on the back. Of course, being connected to a propane gas supply demands a secure, non-tipover install.

I just encountered the same issue. I was lucky no damage happened. Could they build these things any more flimsy(insert sarcasm) What a joke.