ColaJ

Hi! We have a 2015 Gateway 3650bh. Is it possible to remove the front black tank flush, without causing any issues? I ask bc well....my husband removed it from the wet bay area. I'm not sure exactly what else, if anything else, was removed as far as plumbing. Since doing this, there's a sewer smell inside the rv, in the living room.

The wet bay area butts up to the heater vent area. (Not sure if that's what it's called, but inside the living room, there's a box with wholes/lines, that appears to be some type of vent. When you remove this "vent" it opens up to the heater/furnace motor area in the underbelly.)

I'm trying to track down the source of the smell. We've checked everything we can think of!! While racking my brain on what it could be, I remembered him doing this. We never used it, as I prefer to flush it inside by filling it up via toilet, and letting all the pressure clean it out when I open the valve.

Help!! Its terrible! Seems worse in the winter. I'm assuming bc of the heater area and it butting up to wet bay area.

Attaching pics, please ignore the city water connection hanging out of the hole. He did this to run a chord to the outlet in wet bay area for something. It doesn't sit like this always.

Attachments

• 20210915_135845.jpg
    20210915_135845.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210915_133337.jpg
    20210915_133337.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210915_133335.jpg
    20210915_133335.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210915_151823.jpg
    20210915_151823.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 23

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you say he removed the black tank flusher did he physically remove the flusher from the tank?
Did the remaining hole get sealed?
Why bother to remove it when you could have left it in place and just ignored using it?
Sounds like something just didn't get sealed up.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When he removed the flusher inlet from the UDC, did he also remove the anti-siphon valve and plumbing that connected it to the black tank? Sounds like a "repair" that wasn't needed and he should have left the tank flusher system alone and just not used it.

ColaJ

When you say he removed the black tank flusher did he physically remove the flusher from the tank?
Did the remaining hole get sealed?
Why bother to remove it when you could have left it in place and just ignored using it?
Sounds like something just didn't get sealed up.

Peace
Dave
No he didn't. I'm assuming he removed whatever goes in the hole shown in the pic of the wet bay area. But I'll for sure find out when he gets back.

ColaJ

So, basically there's an open end somewhere? I wish I could answer why he did what he did. And honestly it makes me mad to think he did this without even thinking! Like, hello!? There has to be something in the other end! It's pretty self explanatory, that if it is a black tank flush, it somewhere along the line, connects to the black tank!! I mean, he's not dumb, but I do feel pretty confident in saying, he didn't plug the tank, bc he hasn't dropped the underbelly. I was hoping that I might be missing something, and yall could help me understand. LOL! I guess I was expecting someone to tell me that it could be clamped somewhere? Idk. But I do tremendously appreciate the help! With the chord in the tank flush spot, I'm assuming this winter in MN, he had something plugged in, maybe a light to help warm the wet bay area? Maybe it had to be plugged in there to even out the draw from everything else as to not throw the breaker.. That's all I can think of. He's at work now, as soon as he's home, I'll be questioning! Thanks again!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hate to be judgmental (actually I don’t), but there are some people that should not own RV’s of any kind. Seen too much on this forum over 11 years to bring me to that conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColaJ

Appreciate your judemental self. This is our 3rd rv. We've been rving for approx 15-16 years. I'm just as stumped as you are. Thus the reason for posting! So, I'm sorry you're not a nice person!

Even if we were new to this, newbies got to learn somehow!

I was raised that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! Guess some of us were raised with manners and some weren't. ✌

danemayer

I don't think the anti siphon valve would allow vapor to pass from the black tank, unless it had failed, or was removed.

If there's an access panel in the shower, you can plug the line behind the panel to be sure.

ColaJ

This is the part he's telling me he removed? But on the underbelly door, there's there's diagram that shows it should've been the tank flush

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-224329_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-224329_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 16

wdk450

You might want to call in a RV waste tank professional service group like this: https://allprowaterflow.com/ They know these systems backwards and forwards, and even have fiberoptic video inspection tools to look inside the tanks for problems.