Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
March 20-April 30, 5 cents off a gallon diesel when you use a loyalty card:

Good Sam Club Swipe & Save

MyRewards RV

Frequent Fueler Advantage RV

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429102285.723483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

When I am forced to get fuel at a pilot or flying J, I use my Pilot RV plus card. It gives me 7 cents off the CASH price and there is no hundred dollar limit at the truck pumps.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Watch out for that new $500 authorization limit on VISA cards at the Flying J's. I used my VISA debit card at one last Friday and Bank of America interpreted the $500 authorization as outside my normal purchase pattern. Took me all afternoon to get straightened out after the bank flagged my card.

danemayer

Watch out for that new $500 authorization limit on VISA cards at the Flying J's. I used my VISA debit card at one last Friday and Bank of America interpreted the $500 authorization as outside my normal purchase pattern. Took me all afternoon to get straightened out after the bank flagged my card.

The RV Plus Card isn't a debit card. You do have to set up an ACH linkage to a bank account to use it however. Each month you get an email bill notification and you must authorize a specific $ figure for the ACH transfer.

MCTalley

We use our loyalty card to get 3 cents off the credit price at the truck pumps (unless they have an adequate RV island, in which case it is 3 cents off the cash price). I pay with our AmEx card that gives 3% cash back on fuel purchases (another 8 to 10 cents per gallon depending on price).

pegmikef

The RV Plus Card isn't a debit card. You do have to set up an ACH linkage to a bank account to use it however. Each month you get an email bill notification and you must authorize a specific $ figure for the ACH transfer.

and I set up a separate bank account with no linkage to my main account specifically to pay this and another account that drafts directly from my account. When I get the email I just make sure there are sufficient funds to cover the charges.

AAdams

I have the Pilot/Flying J credit card. I pay it, I do not have the automatic payment set up. I am currently getting ( for the next 2 years ) 9 cents off the cash price. When I check fuel prices this only lowers the price to what other stations a few miles off the highway are. The truck stops always seem to be higher priced without the discounts, but they are much easier to get in and out of.

sjbclb

The rv-plus card is a big joke with the Pilots that I tried. We were headed for Az last Dec. & tried Midland,Tx. It would start the pump but the pump wanted to sell def, which I didn't need. Did get the fuel and fooled it on def but I had to go in to pay for it. Clerk said is this a charge card. Duh what is printed on the card?
Next pilot in Van Horn, Tx. (1) Would not start the truck pump. (2) Is this a charge card? Finally get fuel and go in and pay for it. They need to get these dealer stores on the same page as the flying j's. Flying j's did work like they are supposed to.
That's what I found using Pilot. Not worth the discount. Most of the time they were higher priced to begin with.

Lynn1130

I look at the fuel card for Pilot's through Good Sam and they wanted me to apply for a credit card to use at that and other stations. Sorry, i don't do credit card and they want way too much information and your first born in order to approve you for a few cents a gallon off of fuel. I use AMEX and pay it off each month. 5 cents a gallon amounts to $1.75 on a 35 gallon fill up. Not worth someone having my life history in their computer.

jnbhobe

Since Pilot bought FJ neither has a good price on fuel, I can always find it cheaper with no problems

TravelTiger

I'm not endorsing them, personally we've had issues with their (both brands) RV island card reader not working correctly and I have to go in to pay-- major pain.

Now we fuel the big 100 gal tank and thumb our nose at the truck stops.

caissiel

I have found that Pilot FJ has the best fuel for my truck. I use to have to add 2 cycle oil with FJ fuel before the buyout.
I will gladly pay more for their fuel because I get value fuel. I am canadian and my postal code never works for at pump payments. But with just loyalty card it's easy for all fillups.

danemayer

I use the Pilot/FJ when it's en route. I swipe the RV Plus Card, enter the 4 digit control code, either buy DEF (saving $10-12 over Walmart) or skip DEF, and pump diesel. Most of the time, the receipt is obtained from a kiosk inside. But most other places I have to go inside, leave a credit card, then go back inside to retrieve the card and receipt. At Pilot/FJ, it's easy in/out, with parking for lunch. The discount brings the price into line with off-highway locations.

And I'm guessing I don't have to be concerned about quality of the fuel.

And let me say it again: Bulk DEF at $2.70/gallon beats paying $5.00/gallon at Walmart.

Me think's Pilot/Flying J is great, I use the RV Plus card at pump, save 6 cents a gallon. Have 100 gallon bulk tank, so savings add up. Also confident of good fuel, good hot dogs, good coffee, easy in & out. Can also overnight if you choose. I pay by check in mail each month.

MCTalley

And let me say it again: Bulk DEF at $2.70/gallon beats paying $5.00/gallon at Walmart.

I've become a big fan of topping off my DEF at truck stops (now that I purchased a magnetic collar for the DEF nozzle). Two minutes and done.

At Pilot/Flying J, I over-estimate how much fuel (or fuel and DEF) I'll need, run inside, have them pre-authorize, run back out and pump, then leave. When you hang up the pump, they submit the actual charge to your credit card. Example: I ask them to authorize $100 on the pump. My credit card is hit with a $100 authorization. I go out and actually pump $85 in, hang up the pump and leave. Next day my credit card shows an actual $85 charge. By contrast, T/A makes you come back inside after you are done and physically complete the transaction.

By the way, I've often had people say that they don't like that $100 authorization tying up their credit line. To that I say that you're doing something wrong if $100 on your card for a couple days is going to cause you great pain.

SeattleLion

That's not a new deal. You can get a Good Sam/Flying J/Pilot credit card with a bigger discount. We found that the cost of diesel at Flying J/Pilot with the discount was often more than undiscounted fuel at nearby truck stops.

TravelTiger

Ok Malcolm and Dan, I'll probably get in trouble for this, but why aren't your better halves running into the truck stop to handle the transaction while you pump the fuel? That's always been my (Erika) role, thus the fuss about it. LOL!

I was the one that said, "We NEED this big fuel tank, so I can quit running in and out of truck stops!"

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That's not a new deal. You can get a Good Sam/Flying J/Pilot credit card with a bigger discount. We found that the cost of diesel at Flying J/Pilot with the discount was often more than undiscounted fuel at nearby truck stops.

Copy that. Pilot here is $3.09 before discount. 2 miles up the road the next truck stop is $2.88.

VKTalley

Ok Malcolm and Dan, I'll probably get in trouble for this, but why aren't your better halves running into the truck stop to handle the transaction while you pump the fuel? That's always been my (Erika) role, thus the fuss about it. LOL!

I was the one that said, "We NEED this big fuel tank, so I can quit running in and out of truck stops!"

Not in trouble with me, Erika, as our fuel stops usually coincide with a bathroom stop. Malcolm heads inside (to pay) and I head to the rig. I prefer my bathroom to a truck stop or rest stop facilities....I know how my bathroom has been cleaned and, as Malcolm might tell you, he enjoys the walk inside to stretch his legs. At some of our fuel stops, I have my hands deep into a crochet project that I'm trying to complete.

danemayer

Erika,

I've started to answer about 5 times now and I think I should stop typing now.