Fuel F-287

ApexAZ

Hi all,

We just applied for financing on a 2021 Fuel F-287.

Assuming the loan gets approved, we should be picking the unit up on the 18th. I have a 2020 Denali 3500 SRW that I put a 4" suspension lift and larger 35" tires on, which put us just a wee bit too high to fit a 5th wheel, so we opted for a bumper pull.

A couple questions I have are:

My truck is rated at 20k conventional hitch weight with 2k tongue weight, and a CGVW of 29700. The trailer has a GVWR of 12,800 and I'm guessing the truck probably weighs in around 8500 curb weight (I plan to try and weigh it soon if I can find a place), which will put me at around 22.5k max combined weight when factoring in passengers and added cargo. Obviously the lift and bigger tires reduce capacity, but does anyone know just how much? I'll still be about 7k under the stock CGVW and conventional hitch figure.

Does anyone have a similar truck who have upgraded their brakes? Is this an option to improve stopping power?

I'm looking at the ProPride 3P hitch. Trailer sway makes me nervous and the lift compounds that. I'm hoping this will make towing safer. Anyone have experience with these and are they worth the $? If they work as advertised, it seems like money well spent for added safety. Any cons? It seems to add a few feet to overall length. Should I assume I'll need some air bags too?

I have seen several comments on various forums that people replace the stock hitch receiver with a class 5. In looking at some of those, the ratings are all very similar to that 2k/20k capacity, so I'm wondering if that's something I should worry about, or is the stock one already a class 5 and sufficient? I can't seem to find any info on the GMC pages.

Thanks so much!

Brian

09Busaman

Agreed with above, it sounds like you are good. The hitch on your truck should have a sticker on it with capacity, given its a 20 model 1 ton it should be rated. Go find a Flying J or Pilot and weigh your truck. Find the door sticker inside the driver side and pillar and it will tell you what weight per axle, and you will see GVWR, that is the truck, and you also want to know CGVW or combined gross weight, the truck and your camper. If stay under all of these, you will be good.

ApexAZ

OK, thanks! I found a cat scale at a love truck stop not too terribly far.

Is there any etiquette with this? I assume there could be a weight (har har) to use the scales. Anything I should be mindful about? I have no idea how they work so I'm sure I'll be slower than someone with more experience doing this.

09Busaman

After you weigh, go inside to the fuel desk and they will print the ticket for you. Should be just around 10 bucks. Then once you get the trailer, go back and weigh again. I have rarely seen a line, most of the time the scales are empty. Should be near the fuel station for trucks. At least that is where I am used to seeing them as we only stop at truck stops and use the truck fuel lanes.